JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Save your money and buy a Bravo Company midlength.

Upper $399

BCG $139.95

<broken link removed> $44.95

Handguards $33.20

That's $617.10 for a one of the best uppers out there with the best charging handle you can get and excellent handguards that you can add accessories to later without breaking the bank.

Leaves you $382.90 for a lower without breaking 1K. You should be able to get your hands on a decent lower in the Portland metro area for less than that.

That would be my suggestion.

Read <broken link removed> if you want to know why.

ETA: I realized that leaves you without a rear sight. Pick up an MBUS for $55 and you're still left with 327 bucks for a lower.

The more I look at this breakdown, the more that this makes sense. My original plan was to build a rifle with a Aero Precision lower w/o a stock. Then I was just going to buy the Magpul MOE stock. That would be a complete lower for only $190. Anyone have any information on the Aero Precision lowers? I feel like this could be a very nice shooting and very reliable rifle for many years to come.

Yeah, I have one with a matching upper.....waiting on the rest of the build parts.
Very well done stuff with a professional looking roll mark.

Remember that if you're going to build right you will need a vice, clamshell, magwell filler, bolt filler, roll pin punches, etc.
You could hillbilly the thing together with garden and kitchen tools if you're not too fussy :)
(no, don't do that)

The more I look at this breakdown, the more that this makes sense. My original plan was to build a rifle with a Aero Precision lower w/o a stock. Then I was just going to buy the Magpul MOE stock. That would be a complete lower for only $190. Anyone have any information on the Aero Precision lowers? I feel like this could be a very nice shooting and very reliable rifle for many years to come.

Aero makes a great lower. That upper on an aero lower with MOE furniture will serve you incredibly well.

For building just the lower you really only need some roll pin punches (vice grips would work in a pinch), a magwell block (or you can just hold the lower between your knees but a block would be better), a stock wrench (torque wrench would help as well) and a center punch (for staking the castle nut). If you don't have that stuff I'm sure someone around the metro area can hook you up as there are a lot of helpful folks on here.

Remember that if you're going to build right you will need a vice, clamshell, magwell filler, bolt filler, roll pin punches, etc.
You could hillbilly the thing together with garden and kitchen tools if you're not too fussy :)
(no, don't do that)

All of these tools are really needed? The upper is complete and so is the lower (other than the stock). I have never put one together so this is all new to me. I dont have any of those tools. I just have basic garage stuff for working on motorcycles.

Actually, I forgot to update everyone. I thought that I was going to buy the RRA upper and a SAA lower and build it from there but I have heard so many different opinions about the RRA product that I decided to hold off and do more research. So as of right now I have not bought anything. I am so confused right now I dont know what to do. I dont want to buy a P.O.S but I dont have more than about $900-$1000 to spend MAX. RRA has the Elite Operator 2 for $1000 right now and it seems like that is a really good price for what you are getting but again, I dont know if I should buy one or not. I know that there can be some staking issues with the RRA, but I have also heard that RRA is now taking care of those issues. I figure that worst case scenario, I can have the staking done by a gunsmith as it doesnt cost much to have it done, and fix the other little things as they arise. I know someone that is in law enforcement and has a RRA Elite Tactical and loves it. What does everyone think? Should I buy the RRA or should I hold off and buy something else?

ebta ebta ebta ebta

No bubblegum huh?

I have decided to buy a Stag upper and my guy ordered a DPMS lower.The Dpms lower seems to be great,but not the rest of the parts.

I have found it's a Lego system.Just change out what you don't like.
So I'm buying the upper and lower "I" want.Then the Trigger I want to try.

I have soooo much info it's hard to decide,but I just made the choices and know I can change them if I decide to.
And sell off the old parts.

Hey thanks again for the info.

All of these tools are really needed? The upper is complete and so is the lower (other than the stock). I have never put one together so this is all new to me. I dont have any of those tools. I just have basic garage stuff for working on motorcycles.

Sorry I misunderstood and thought you had to assemble the lower. No, if it's a complete lower sans-stock then you're good to go. Pop the pins for the upper and shove the stock on the receiver extension and you're good to go. You'll have yourself one sweet shooter.

If you're just building the lower, no. The better videos to watch are the series from Brownells and the series from Ultimate Reloader.....those are the two best on the internet.....Google them up.
The one that was posted above shows how not to do the bolt catch roll pin. He mashed it because he didn't follow procedure. It's painful for me to watch him.

Crap....I just re-read the thing. I'll leave everything in case someone is following along and wants to build.
You're not building anything !

Your buying a complete upper and a complete lower !
It's simple, putting the two halves together....two pins.

Good luck with your AR.

Thanks for all of the information. After LOTS of consideration, I am NOT going to buy the RRA. I will be ordering the BCM upper with all of their parts for the upper, probably tomorrow. Is there anywhere local that sells Magpul accessories? Preferably one that is open on a sunday or monday? I am hoping I can get all the pieces and get this together in the next couple weeks. I will post pics as I go.

I think the best deal out there right now is a Smith & Wesson M&P15or for $699 at jetguns.com. S&W puts good quality bolt carriers in their ARs and with a flat top receiver, you can add your goodies as you can afford them. If I was to get another AR-15 for a backup to my modded Colt 6940, it would be one of those.

Thanks for all of the information. After LOTS of consideration, I am NOT going to buy the RRA. I will be ordering the BCM upper with all of their parts for the upper, probably tomorrow. Is there anywhere local that sells Magpul accessories? Preferably one that is open on a sunday or monday? I am hoping I can get all the pieces and get this together in the next couple weeks. I will post pics as I go.

You have chosen... wisely.

Bravo should have whatever you need in stock (though it looks like they're out of MBUS, probably because the Gen 2s just dropped today) - just order it all with the upper. Surely somewhere in the metro area sells magpul gear though if you want to keep business local. If you can't find what you want locally or Bravo doesn't have it, Rainier Arms will likely have it and they ship crazy fast.

I think the best deal out there right now is a Smith & Wesson M&P15or for $699 at jetguns.com. S&W puts good quality bolt carriers in their ARs and with a flat top receiver, you can add your goodies as you can afford them. If I was to get another AR-15 for a backup to my modded Colt 6940, it would be one of those.

Did you read the thread before replying?

I just built my first AR all by myself, finished it last week... Did alot of reading... And hoped I made some good decisions, in short I DID :O)

The Aero upper+lower fit VERY nice and after shooting it, its no sloppier than when I started. The fit is very good. No need for an accuwedge, at least yet :O) My friend who bought more expensive bubblegum for his was impressed, hes a gun snob... I just wanted a solid MOA shooter without spending 273469126497 dollars. When I put a scope on it this weekend, Im sure I got it.

Shot it Saturday and was VERY happy with it. 800-850 bucks in it. I like to think I did pretty well with the amount in it for what I have. Im not a super shooter either, but in 15 rounds I had it dialed at 50 yards, and the rest (the othe r25- I could only soot one at a time at Kenmore) were in 1" groups inside the center circle . I didnt care about one at a time as I chased a snake through it every round for the first 10-15, and let it heat cycle (I know not neccessary, but whatever)

Parts:
Aero stripped lower (W/m4 cuts)
RRA lower parts kit (with light spring and trigger massage), verrrrry smooth around 4 Lbs.
standard 6 position M4 buffer spring and stock
Magpul BAD lever
Magpul Winter trigger gaurd

Aero stripped upper
J&S upper parts kit
DPMS BCG
Standard Mil spec charging handle
Yankee Hill SPECTRE full floating 9.7" diamond guard

14.5" BRG SS 1:8 fluted barrel (brake pinned and weled by yours truly of course) 556/m4
Troy low profile gas block
Troy Midievil muzzle brake / flash suppressor
carbine gas tube

magpull MBUS'
Magpul AFG

IMAG0432-Copy.jpg

remember when dealing with people by and large everyone has opinions on whts best. What I did that worked out really well for me was read, narrow it down to what I thought would be cost ffective and pleased my aesthetic /ergo/functionality wants.

The Aero upper/lower is definately a go go go :O)

MK tactical on the west side of hillsboro or airsoft outlet NW both carry Magpul stuff.

And building your own lower is super easy if you want to go that way. You just need 2 roll pin punches, a screw driver or allen wrench for the grip screw and an armorer's wrench for the castle nut on the stock. I have an AR armorer's wrench if you want to borrow it (on the west side of hillsboro), and I am sure a lot of other folks on here have them too. If you want to get more AR's or plan on changing up your rifle at some point, I would just drop the $20-30 on one. Definitely worth it.

Oh and +1 for the aero lowers. Definitely a decent quality lower. I still prefer the Mega's a little bit, but for the money the Aero Precision lowers are hard to beat. And if you end up not liking it, just sell it off as a complete lower and get a mega or some other lower. I found a listing a while back about who makes lowers for whom and there were like 3-5 main manufacturers doing lowers from forgings. There was Mega, Aero, CMT, LAR and I think one other main player. Then there was the handful of smaller guys doing billet lowers. But for the most part Mega CMT and LAR do a lion's share of the lower production. Food for thought I suppose.

I just built my first AR all by myself, finished it last week... Did alot of reading... And hoped I made some good decisions, in short I DID :O)

The Aero upper+lower fit VERY nice and after shooting it, its no sloppier than when I started. The fit is very good. No need for an accuwedge, at least yet :O) My friend who bought more expensive bubblegum for his was impressed, hes a gun snob... I just wanted a solid MOA shooter without spending 273469126497 dollars. When I put a scope on it this weekend, Im sure I got it.

Shot it Saturday and was VERY happy with it. 800-850 bucks in it. I like to think I did pretty well with the amount in it for what I have. Im not a super shooter either, but in 15 rounds I had it dialed at 50 yards, and the rest (the othe r25- I could only soot one at a time at Kenmore) were in 1" groups inside the center circle . I didnt care about one at a time as I chased a snake through it every round for the first 10-15, and let it heat cycle (I know not neccessary, but whatever)

Parts:
Aero stripped lower (W/m4 cuts)
RRA lower parts kit (with light spring and trigger massage), verrrrry smooth around 4 Lbs.
standard 6 position M4 buffer spring and stock
Magpul BAD lever
Magpul Winter trigger gaurd

Aero stripped upper
J&S upper parts kit
DPMS BCG
Standard Mil spec charging handle
Yankee Hill SPECTRE full floating 9.7" diamond guard

14.5" BRG SS 1:8 fluted barrel (brake pinned and weled by yours truly of course) 556/m4
Troy low profile gas block
Troy Midievil muzzle brake / flash suppressor
carbine gas tube

magpull MBUS'
Magpul AFG

IMAG0432-Copy.jpg

remember when dealing with people by and large everyone has opinions on whts best. What I did that worked out really well for me was read, narrow it down to what I thought would be cost ffective and pleased my aesthetic /ergo/functionality wants.

The Aero upper/lower is definately a go go go :O)
Sorry for the hijack here,

Why did you decide to go with the Midievil muzzle brake instead of the flash hider version? I have the flash hider version. Just curious if it made a difference at all or if its way louder like the PWS FSC556

Frame of thought was just for quicker follow ups. Flash signature isnt a huge consideration for me... But te brake is also supposed to help with flash too... I have no point of rerference as not having ever had used their dedicated hider, however...

Its pretty loud though... guys kid at Kenmore shooting his 22 didnt like being next to it, which was funny, cause the guy on the other sides little girl plinked away with her 22 without so much as a look.. LOL

It shoots really nice. I ran 40 rds of 556 thorugh it and a few (3) .223. You can definateoly tell the difference hahaha. Guy a the range was saying to try a bullet in the high 6o grain range as per the twist in my barrel. Ill try that wehen I go back sunday. I plan to pick up 1000 rds of plinker 223 and some heavier match grade stuff in 556 at the Monroe show this weekend that ill use to dial the scope in and see just what kind of groups I can muster.

Like I said, I took my AK as well, ad didnt touch it... The AR is much more fun in a slower single shot type of scenario, ya gotta be able to let lead fly to get the fun factor out of the AK :O)

Im very pleasantly suprised how much I enjoyed my first AR. Im sure Ther'll be anothe one somewhere down the line... Probably a 545

Thanks for all of the info! After your info and a little research, I think that I do want to buy a flat top. I have seen some rifles with a fixed front sight and some without.... benefits either way? I want to put a scope on it, so would that fixed front sight get in the way? Any reccomendations for scopes that arent crazy expensive? Also, both of the responders here mentioned MOA. I hate to sound dumb but what does MOA mean?

The fixed front sight is less maintenance and if you go with flip up front and rear get a set of magpul sights they are the best right now anyway and the cheapest i find on all of mine its like a drug addiction pretty soon you got three or four and always changing stuff on them to test it out o ya and dont just go to the range and shoot thats lame and expencive go out in the woods set yourself up a small course and train with your ammo and your system to develop the skills that work for you if your going to just go plink go get a .22LR upper its alot cheaper and you can still get the muscle memory that you need to proficiently operate the AR or M4 systems

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top