JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys ive been having a major issue with my little rcbs scale(the one every manufacturer set comes with just different colors). It can be accurate for 30 loads, but at times after 5 its .5-.7gr off... No bueno with a Bullseye 3.5gr load!
Id like some opinions on different scale options?
I'm looking at the chargemaster 750, and the manual 1010 from RCBS. Any reviews? Looking for the best bang for the buck so ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Shane

I've had great results from my Lyman auto dispenser scale. Accurate and flexible for use with my single stage press. A little more money than just a scale but if you want to weigh every charge and improve production it's a good investment.

if you are looking for a non-auto despenser, the gempro 250 is the only way to go. highly accurate, compact, lifetime warranty, and $115 on sale now. i use it for all of my precision loads since it can accurate to .02 grains (that's about a single kernel of Varget!!)

My Weigh GemPro 250

Personally not a fan of electronic scales, WAY to subject to interference. A good balance beam, provided you check zero before use, is the way to go.

I have an RCBS balance beam scale I bought about 1970 and I have an elctronic scale as well, they match-up weight wise
If you have doubts use a bullet of known weight to reset your scale after 30 rounds

I have used an RCBS rangemaster 750 for several years now. It is sensitive enough to be affected by the forced air heating system in my home or an open window, fan etc... I have an older RCBS 1010 that I break out from time to time as well, it is very reliable.

Sounds like you are weighing each charge on your scale? Try out a powder measure instead. Set it up to throw the desired powder charge and save yourself the frustration of counting powder kernels....

I have the RCBS 1010 scale and love it. I recently bought a Lyman 1200 DPS 2 and been slowly using the 1010 less, mostly for checking the Lyman DPS. Soon won't need the 1010 other than just for peace of mind....HotRod

I have a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 and an older RCBS that doesnt have a model #. I mainly use them for powders that don't meter well or if I'm just making a few oddball cartridges.

Sounds like you are weighing each charge on your scale? Try out a powder measure instead. Set it up to throw the desired powder charge and save yourself the frustration of counting powder kernels....[/QUOTE]

I do weigh each charge, and I use the rcbs uniflow measure. It's just become a habit, my measure gets off sometimes.

Thanks for all the good input guys, very appreciated. I would love an auto dispenser, but little out of my range right now.

I ditched the beam back in the mid-70s when Ainsworth came out with a digital scale. Still have it and it works.
I like the new Lyman micro-touch 1500. You might be very happy with the RCBS 10-10, if you don't mind spending a comparative fortune for a beam.
I would reject any beam with sliding poise on the tenths of a grain--my first (and only beam) was the RCBS 5-10 just because it had the thumb wheel for the tenths poise.

No, new folks know better than old folks and one thing they know is their gun is only accurate with specific loads and they must weigh each charge to at least 0.1gn, and most know that they really need to weight to 0.02gn, even for a 40gn rifle load. Why, you can't shoot accurate any more by loading by volume, despite more than a century of very good shooting. They KNOW. We only think, based on experience.

I ditched the beam back in the mid-70s when Ainsworth came out with a digital scale. Still have it and it works.
I like the new Lyman micro-touch 1500. You might be very happy with the RCBS 10-10, if you don't mind spending a comparative fortune for a beam.
I would reject any beam with sliding poise on the tenths of a grain--my first (and only beam) was the RCBS 5-10 just because it had the thumb wheel for the tenths poise.

No, new folks know better than old folks and one thing they know is their gun is only accurate with specific loads and they must weigh each charge to at least 0.1gn, and most know that they really need to weight to 0.02gn, even for a 40gn rifle load. Why, you can't shoot accurate any more by loading by volume, despite more than a century of very good shooting. They KNOW. We only think, based on experience.

Must be an old phart

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads