JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my 1950s pacific balance beam scale has become really unreliable. Scary amount of drift. It is getting retired after trying every thing to fix it. My Lyman 1200 digital scale was never reliable to begin with. So I'm on the hunt for a good long term reliable scale for my bench.
What are your thoughts and experiences?
Thanks Jake.

First tell us what you are reloading and what quantity you load. Many choices these days that cover everything from plinking loads to precision accuracy for competition.

I shoot a ton of pistol which I use my LNL auto drop. But for scale work it's all rifle. 223, 300blk, 308, 243. All as tight as possible. I'm not a precision shooter by any stretch of the imagination. But I want as close as I can on long range ammo I build 0-900 yds 0-500 most of the time
Thanks Jake

For your rifle loading you might consider this combination. I do not own these but use something a lot more expensive for competition. This scale looks small and cheap but it is accurate to 1/10 gn and very repeatable. Trickle up for lower extreme spreads. Auto charge scales like the Chargemaster are convenient but I'm not aware of any that are accurate enough to eliminate trickling. Hope this helps some

It does. Thank you. I have had problems with other unit under or over charge. Prob going this route since it's much cheaper and easier. If one part fails it's not a entire unit replacement.

The LNL auto throw is ok.
It has a learning curve as it tends to have a lot of over throws.
I never had an issue getting a decent ES with it though.
I use a V3 mostly now.

Most problems with balance beam type scales is the knife edges the beam sits on wear down. It's said it's from the vibration of the earth. (or maybe the traffic by my house) One isn't supposed to leave it stored on the knife edges.(yeah right!) I have a Hornady from the early 70's and have sharpen it to keep it working properly. Your scale being even older....... maybe a replacement would be in order. ;)
Digital scales rely on springs. And what do springs do in time?

Most problems with balance beam type scales is the knife edges the beam sits on wear down. It's said it's from the vibration of the earth. (or maybe the traffic by my house) One isn't supposed to leave it stored on the knife edges.(yeah right!) I have a Hornady from the early 70's and have sharpen it to keep it working properly. Your scale being even older....... maybe a replacement would be in order. ;)
Interesting. I've an RCBS beam scale that I bought new in 1975 and has weighed many hundreds (if not thousands) of charges and it still checks out perfectly when using the check weights. I've never taken the beam off to store it, I just leave the beam in the down position and put the factory dust cover over it. I can set it and throw consecutive charges on it and they are all within a few grains of powder. If I throw ten charges on it at once and reset the poise for those ten charges it will usually be within 1/10th of a grain, which is merely a minor deviation between all ten charges. I like my scale and don't feel the need to buy something better or a digital scale.

Last Edited:
Interesting. I've an RCBS beam scale (old enough to have a cast iron base) that I bought new in 1975 and has weighted many hundreds (if not thousands) of charges and it still checks out perfectly when using the check weights. I've never taken the beam off to store it, I just leave the beam in the down position and put the factory dust cover over it. I can set it and throw consecutive charges on it and they are all within a few grains of powder. If I throw ten charges on it at once and reset the poise for those ten charges it will usually be within 1/10th of a grain, which is merely a minor deviation between all ten charges. I like my scale and don't feel the need to buy something better or a digital scale.
Yea
My old 5-0-5 has tons of usage but still weighs accurately with great resolution.

I've always stored my beam off the knife edges. It was my neighbors when he reloaded. I think he started in the 60s. I know he had one old cast iron press that was hand and hammer. I have all his stuff since he passed. It is what we would do Sunday evening. Reload pistol or rifle or shotgun.
I like the beam scales and I've had a electric. For reloading 243 and 708 on a single stage press the auto scales are nice. But I slow down a little I could use a powder drop and trickler.
I tend to reload 20-100 at a time in trays. All my pistol and 300blk is on the LnL press. But rifle I prefer my RCBS single stage press.

I've always stored my beam off the knife edges. It was my neighbors when he reloaded. I think he started in the 60s. I know he had one old cast iron press that was hand and hammer. I have all his stuff since he passed. It is what we would do Sunday evening. Reload pistol or rifle or shotgun.
I like the beam scales and I've had a electric. For reloading 243 and 708 on a single stage press the auto scales are nice. But I slow down a little I could use a powder drop and trickler.
I tend to reload 20-100 at a time in trays. All my pistol and 300blk is on the LnL press. But rifle I prefer my RCBS single stage press.
I've looked at the instructions for most of RCBS's scales and none of them even suggest removing the beam for storage. All the instructions say is keep it clean and don't use oil. However how you store your scale is your business.

I use an RCBS powder thrower and trickle onto a 750 rangemaster electronic scale. I check the calibration on the scale with the check weights each time I start and verify on a beam scale twice. This is what I do for all rifle rounds but just use a auto disk powder measure for pistol and verify the charge at startup. Thought about getting a scale/ thrower/trickler like the RCBS chargemaster combo or lite set up or even a Hornady brand but dont load enough to justify the cost.

Most people store and use their scale on their reloading/work bench with its associated and continuous poundings and jostlings. I never did that.

The first batch of 45 acp I reloaded turned out to be subsonic cause my old 5-0-5 was lying to me, so I got a digital scale & a weight set & started double checking on the digital every few throws & I haven't accidentally loaded a box of subsonic ammo since.

Have you tried cleaning/blowing your old scale with compressed air?
I would still get something to cross check the weight periodically

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top