JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
looking for thoughts on how to breakin a new rifle. seems to be several ideas about the whole process. i saw a post on another forum from Gale Mcmillen and he pretty much poo-pooed the deal saying shoot it and clean it. other thoughts?

You have to shoot that rifle and then eventually clean it, then you should shoot it some more.

I've read the articles, studies, experiments, etc. Seems like there are those with a 'system', but a bunch of barrel makers say you should just shoot them. Those prone to believing conspiracies would say this is how they sell more barrels.

I have used the Tubbs final finish bullet on five diff. rifles and been pleased each time....they are simple load the bullets to book spec. fire 10 rounds, clean bore and repeat for all five levels of abrasive...just my two cents

Info on barrel break-in from Shilen:

How should I break-in my new Shilen barrel?
Break-in procedures are as diverse as cleaning techniques. Shilen, Inc. introduced a break-in procedure mostly because customers seemed to think that we should have one. By and large, we don't think breaking-in a new barrel is a big deal. All our stainless steel barrels have been hand lapped as part of their production, as well as any chrome moly barrel we install. Hand lapping a barrel polishes the interior of the barrel and eliminates sharp edges or burrs that could cause jacket deformity. This, in fact, is what you are doing when you break-in a new barrel through firing and cleaning.
Here is our standard recommendation: Clean after each shot for the first 5 shots. The remainder of the break-in is to clean every 5 shots for the next 50 shots. During this time, don't just shoot bullets down the barrel during this 50 shot procedure. This is a great time to begin load development. Zero the scope over the first 5 shots, and start shooting for accuracy with 5-shot groups for the next 50 shots. Same thing applies to fire forming cases for improved or wildcat cartridges. Just firing rounds down a barrel to form brass without any regard to their accuracy is a mistake. It is a waste of time and barrel life.

There's only one rifle that I ever followed a "break in procedure" with and due the the nature of firearms, it's not the most accurate one I own!
But I shot 4 rounds, cleaned, shot 5 rounds, cleaned. Repeated the 5 shot then clean routine until I had 39 rounds through the gun. (I would shoot it then bring it home to clean) After that it was just practicing and re-sighting in after changing scopes and adding a different stock. It is far more accurate that I need it to be for deer and elk hunting, but I don't think that my "break in procedure" has anything to do with that.
Don't know that I'd go through that hassle again.:D

took my new 270wsm out the other day. fired two on a clean barrel, cleaned and adjusted it, fired two more, cleaned and adjusted it, fired two more, cleaned and replaced the target two shots in nearly one hole. close enough for the first outing

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top