JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been loading mostly HS-6 in my pistol loads for @8 years; one could come to the conclusion that I'm a Hodgdon fan boy....

My pet load for 9MM, 124G FMJ, XTP, and plated, was 6.2G of HS-6.

Today, I tested the same FMJ weight with 6.5G of HS-6 and like it.

I believe 6.8G is the max in the Lee 2nd edition.

The other load I tried is a lot slower; 147G plated with 5.0G of HS-6. Didn't have as much punch as the 124G loads but will plink with them.

9mm: 124 gr JHP, 5.5 gr
.45: 230 gr FMJ 6.0 gr

I still have bullseye left for .38, but as soon as I run out I'll be working something up in that too.
Thanks for the info.

I've got about 10lbs of it I purchased because I was about to run out of Bullseye. Luckily the Bullseye started showing up before I ran out, but I was getting pretty damned nervous there for awhile!

Thanks for the info.

I've got about 10lbs of it I purchased because I was about to run out of Bullseye. Luckily the Bullseye started showing up before I ran out, but I was getting pretty damned nervous there for awhile!

The shortage forced me to change up my usual loads, used to be Unique/Bullseye. When I couldn't find them I had to try something else, now I try out whatever is new, just out of curiosity. CFE gives good velocity and is very clean so it's my current favorite, I don't know anyone who bothers to scrub copper fouling out of a pistol, so I don't care about that aspect.

The shortage forced me to change up my usual loads, used to be Unique/Bullseye. When I couldn't find them I had to try something else, now I try out whatever is new, just out of curiosity. CFE gives good velocity and is very clean so it's my current favorite, I don't know anyone who bothers to scrub copper fouling out of a pistol, so I don't care about that aspect.
I agree. The copper fouling issue I'd be more worried about a rifle. Never been concerned with that from a pistol, though I suppose silhouette pistols might see issues with cooper fouling.

Then again I've never tried to strip it out of any of my pistols to see if it really made a difference.

I agree. The copper fouling issue I'd be more worried about a rifle. Never been concerned with that from a pistol, though I suppose silhouette pistols might see issues with cooper fouling.

Then again I've never tried to strip it out of any of my pistols to see if it really made a difference.

same, I use patch out on my rifles but I've never bothered to use it on a pistol, maybe when I get that .460 or .500 I'll have a reason to:D

Might get yourself a wrist brace and some pain killers to go along with it while you're at it :D

I've only shot a .460, and it had a huge barrel and a big muzzle brake and scope, so it wasn't bad, I'd like a .500 with a 6" or 8" barrel, that might be a different story.

My wallet will need a pain killer though for sure;)

I've only shot a .460, and it had a huge barrel and a big muzzle brake and scope, so it wasn't bad, I'd like a .500 with a 6" or 8" barrel, that might be a different story.

My wallet will need a pain killer though for sure;)
I shot a short barreled 454 Casull twice.
Not sure why I didn't learn my lesson after the first shot.....

I shot a short barreled 454 Casull twice.
Not sure why I didn't learn my lesson after the first shot.....

.44 has always been my favorite revolver round, powerful, but I can still shoot it all day long.

There's just something about the allure of those giant .50 pistol rounds though...

sw500-2.jpg

Does it burn clean?

In the higher pressure rounds such as 9mm and .40, yes, I believe so. I like it for the reasons of real good measuring in the Uni-flow and it fills cases so there's little worry of double charging. Oh, and there's quite a range of weights to work with, compared to 231 or other faster powders. 231/HP-38 is my go to powder for .38 and .45acp.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top