JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the higher pressure rounds such as 9mm and .40, yes, I believe so. I like it for the reasons of real good measuring in the Uni-flow and it fills cases so there's little worry of double charging. Oh, and there's quite a range of weights to work with, compared to 231 or other faster powders. 231/HP-38 is my go to powder for .38 and .45acp.
HP-38 is the dirtiest burning powder I've ever used, and the only powder I've ever had squibs with. Used in 38spl. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

HP-38 is the dirtiest burning powder I've ever used, and the only powder I've ever had squibs with. Used in 38spl. Maybe I got a bad bottle?
Yeah I am hesitant to say I have had trouble with it in .38 also because it's a very popular powder. But I have had a few squibs with it at lower charges in colder weather. I'm hoping to try a few different things to pinpoint the issue this winter. I haven't decided whether it's a metering issue or a cold weather/primer/powder combination issue. I have three pounds that's a lot of testing if I can't figure it out soon:eek:.

Yeah I am hesitant to say I have had trouble with it in .38 also because it's a very popular powder. But I have had a few squibs with it at lower charges in colder weather. I'm hoping to try a few different things to pinpoint the issue this winter. I haven't decided whether it's a metering issue or a cold weather/primer/powder combination issue. I have three pounds that's a lot of testing if I can't figure it out soon:eek:.

Magnum Primers help?

It's gun powder, of course it's dirty. :D HS-6 burns clean in 9mm and .40 but dirty in larger lower pressure rounds. I thought unique was filthy, but I wasn't using it in magnum round, or case that were filled more.
I never had issues with poor ignition of w231. But I never used it in really cold weather either. :s0092:

Some powders don't do well with low charge volumes relative to the case, 38 brings out the worst in them, use more powder, seat deeper, or use another powder, bullseye will light much better in a 38 case.

I've been loading mostly HS-6 in my pistol loads for @8 years; one could come to the conclusion that I'm a Hodgdon fan boy....

My pet load for 9MM, 124G FMJ, XTP, and plated, was 6.2G of HS-6.

Today, I tested the same FMJ weight with 6.5G of HS-6 and like it.

I believe 6.8G is the max in the Lee 2nd edition.

The other load I tried is a lot slower; 147G plated with 5.0G of HS-6. Didn't have as much punch as the 124G loads but will plink with them.
I will give it a try. I have been using Hodgdon for rifles since they developed the temperature insensitive powders. So far only Titegroup for 38. Just started loading for 9mm this year and hopefully will get that project on the right track soon. I have 190 grain cast for my 4inch 357 that I need a load for. Been looking just not convinced yet. Went scouting with a 9 year old last Saturday. We smelled elk. Older brother will come along on opening day.

It's gun powder, of course it's dirty. :D HS-6 burns clean in 9mm and .40 but dirty in larger lower pressure rounds. I thought unique was filthy, but I wasn't using it in magnum round, or case that were filled more.
I never had issues with poor ignition of w231. But I never used it in really cold weather either. :s0092:
Yes and I don't want to imply that it is cold sensitive considering I haven't completly ruled out something that I may be doing. I have a couple of very carefully loaded test batches loaded up I'm just waiting for some colder weather and some time.

Some powders don't do well with low charge volumes relative to the case, 38 brings out the worst in them, use more powder, seat deeper, or use another powder, bullseye will light much better in a 38 case.
Totally agree. Relatively a lot of room in that case. I've had no trouble with wadcutter loads jammed down in the case so it could just be too much room with a regular bullet.

I use lots of HS-6 ,and I use magnum primers CCI 550 , burns very clean in 9 and 40 , some older manuals recommend mag primers with ball powders like HS-6
Has worked well for me

I've always been fond of Bullseye in my 9mm and .45

I used to use Bullseye, but always thought it was too light and have used Unique in 45ACP almost exclusively for ages. It's what I'd call dusty, not so much dirty.

I've only shot a .460, and it had a huge barrel and a big muzzle brake and scope, so it wasn't bad, I'd like a .500 with a 6" or 8" barrel, that might be a different story.

My wallet will need a pain killer though for sure;)

I had a 5" 500 within about a year or so of them coming out. With the Ultramax (remanufactured) cartridges it was the handgun equivalent of a 12 gauge. Big recoil, but more so a push than a hit. BIG boom, too. Lighting off a Hornady 350 gr was something most people don't enjoy. My handloads were 400 gr at 1150-1300fps. If you have strong enough hands and wrists to keep the revolver from rotating in your mitts, it will recoil straight back into your shoulders. We took some video of me shooting it and you can see how the gun rocks my whole upper body like I'm shooting a rifle. If I can find it I'll post it up sometime.

Pleasantly surprised!

I compared two 180g .40 Cal loads today; 6.8g of my favorite; HS-6 and 4.7g of Tightgroup.

Each load had an RMR FMJ and an RMR plated HP topping.

Tightgroup had the..... tighter groups.

:eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews