New Pet Load?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Oathkeeper1775, Nov 12, 2017 at 9:06 PM.

Tags:
  1. drstrangelove

drstrangelove
    Vancouver, WA

HP-38 is the dirtiest burning powder I've ever used, and the only powder I've ever had squibs with. Used in 38spl. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

Oathkeeper1775 likes this.
  2. ageingstudent

ageingstudent
    Fairview, OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Yeah I am hesitant to say I have had trouble with it in .38 also because it's a very popular powder. But I have had a few squibs with it at lower charges in colder weather. I'm hoping to try a few different things to pinpoint the issue this winter. I haven't decided whether it's a metering issue or a cold weather/primer/powder combination issue. I have three pounds that's a lot of testing if I can't figure it out soon:eek:.

3. Oathkeeper1775

Oathkeeper1775
    NW Oregon
    VINCE AUT MORIRE Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Magnum Primers help?

ageingstudent likes this.
  4. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

It's gun powder, of course it's dirty. :D HS-6 burns clean in 9mm and .40 but dirty in larger lower pressure rounds. I thought unique was filthy, but I wasn't using it in magnum round, or case that were filled more.
    I never had issues with poor ignition of w231. But I never used it in really cold weather either. :s0092:

5. jordanka16

jordanka16
    Albany, OR

Some powders don't do well with low charge volumes relative to the case, 38 brings out the worst in them, use more powder, seat deeper, or use another powder, bullseye will light much better in a 38 case.

6. Rudedog

Rudedog
    Dallas,Or

I will give it a try. I have been using Hodgdon for rifles since they developed the temperature insensitive powders. So far only Titegroup for 38. Just started loading for 9mm this year and hopefully will get that project on the right track soon. I have 190 grain cast for my 4inch 357 that I need a load for. Been looking just not convinced yet. Went scouting with a 9 year old last Saturday. We smelled elk. Older brother will come along on opening day.

7. ageingstudent

ageingstudent
    Fairview, OR

Yes and I don't want to imply that it is cold sensitive considering I haven't completly ruled out something that I may be doing. I have a couple of very carefully loaded test batches loaded up I'm just waiting for some colder weather and some time.

Mikej and Oathkeeper1775 like this.
  8. ageingstudent

ageingstudent
    Fairview, OR

Totally agree. Relatively a lot of room in that case. I've had no trouble with wadcutter loads jammed down in the case so it could just be too much room with a regular bullet.

9. ageingstudent

ageingstudent
    Fairview, OR

Possibly. There's a work up on the shelf waiting for freezing weather right now;P. I also have a two boxes loaded up and one will be kept warm in the truck and the other allowed to get good and cold outside. I really should just use the powder for something else but I'm lame and it's the only hobby I have:p.

10. jordanka16

jordanka16
    Albany, OR

I would not recommend that, the only squibs I've gotten we're with low charges in .38 cases with Magnum primers, probably bullseye powder. I think the primer pops the bullet out too much before the powder lights. Just my thoughts.

11. JO JO

JO JO
    Vancouver WA
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I use lots of HS-6 ,and I use magnum primers CCI 550 , burns very clean in 9 and 40 , some older manuals recommend mag primers with ball powders like HS-6
    Has worked well for me