JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been loading mostly HS-6 in my pistol loads for @8 years; one could come to the conclusion that I'm a Hodgdon fan boy....

My pet load for 9MM, 124G FMJ, XTP, and plated, was 6.2G of HS-6.

Today, I tested the same FMJ weight with 6.5G of HS-6 and like it.

I believe 6.8G is the max in the Lee 2nd edition.

The other load I tried is a lot slower; 147G plated with 5.0G of HS-6. Didn't have as much punch as the 124G loads but will plink with them.

9mm: 124 gr JHP, 5.5 gr
.45: 230 gr FMJ 6.0 gr

I still have bullseye left for .38, but as soon as I run out I'll be working something up in that too.
Thanks for the info.

I've got about 10lbs of it I purchased because I was about to run out of Bullseye. Luckily the Bullseye started showing up before I ran out, but I was getting pretty damned nervous there for awhile!

Thanks for the info.

I've got about 10lbs of it I purchased because I was about to run out of Bullseye. Luckily the Bullseye started showing up before I ran out, but I was getting pretty damned nervous there for awhile!

The shortage forced me to change up my usual loads, used to be Unique/Bullseye. When I couldn't find them I had to try something else, now I try out whatever is new, just out of curiosity. CFE gives good velocity and is very clean so it's my current favorite, I don't know anyone who bothers to scrub copper fouling out of a pistol, so I don't care about that aspect.

The shortage forced me to change up my usual loads, used to be Unique/Bullseye. When I couldn't find them I had to try something else, now I try out whatever is new, just out of curiosity. CFE gives good velocity and is very clean so it's my current favorite, I don't know anyone who bothers to scrub copper fouling out of a pistol, so I don't care about that aspect.
I agree. The copper fouling issue I'd be more worried about a rifle. Never been concerned with that from a pistol, though I suppose silhouette pistols might see issues with cooper fouling.

Then again I've never tried to strip it out of any of my pistols to see if it really made a difference.

I agree. The copper fouling issue I'd be more worried about a rifle. Never been concerned with that from a pistol, though I suppose silhouette pistols might see issues with cooper fouling.

Then again I've never tried to strip it out of any of my pistols to see if it really made a difference.

same, I use patch out on my rifles but I've never bothered to use it on a pistol, maybe when I get that .460 or .500 I'll have a reason to:D

Might get yourself a wrist brace and some pain killers to go along with it while you're at it :D

I've only shot a .460, and it had a huge barrel and a big muzzle brake and scope, so it wasn't bad, I'd like a .500 with a 6" or 8" barrel, that might be a different story.

My wallet will need a pain killer though for sure;)

I've only shot a .460, and it had a huge barrel and a big muzzle brake and scope, so it wasn't bad, I'd like a .500 with a 6" or 8" barrel, that might be a different story.

My wallet will need a pain killer though for sure;)
I shot a short barreled 454 Casull twice.
Not sure why I didn't learn my lesson after the first shot.....

I shot a short barreled 454 Casull twice.
Not sure why I didn't learn my lesson after the first shot.....

.44 has always been my favorite revolver round, powerful, but I can still shoot it all day long.

There's just something about the allure of those giant .50 pistol rounds though...

sw500-2.jpg

Does it burn clean?

In the higher pressure rounds such as 9mm and .40, yes, I believe so. I like it for the reasons of real good measuring in the Uni-flow and it fills cases so there's little worry of double charging. Oh, and there's quite a range of weights to work with, compared to 231 or other faster powders. 231/HP-38 is my go to powder for .38 and .45acp.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top