JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been reading posts on this site for the past half a year or so, and have finally decided to take an active part in the discussions.

I'm 46 years old, and came to Oregon a few years ago to take a new job at a company located in the Portland metro area. I hold graduate degrees and am working in the fields of both Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. I grew up in New England, and have lived for a while in the US Southwest, as well as for over ten years in Europe (one year in England, the rest in Germany).

I only began shooting firearms about 1 1/2 years ago (holding and firing a gun for the first time ever), shortly after learning about, and contemplating the aftermath of the earthquake, the "big-one", predicted to hit here in the PNW. I'd never lived in an area where I had felt (or at least had been conscious of) the potential to be so vulnerable, where a 911 call might not be possible, and personal security of a life-or-death nature could be my sole responsibility. In the meanwhile, in the current atmosphere of domestic political instability, I can also say I've never lived in a time where I've felt so threatened.

I began my training with an excellent introductory course on handguns, followed-up by private lessons, both pistol and rifle, and eventually got my CHL. In the meanwhile I've been having fun working on my "gun control", both at indoor ranges around the Portland metro area, and in particular, over the summer at crack-of-dawn morning sessions at North Fork Wolf Creek. My "arsenal" has also quickly grown from 9mm pistols, to two AR-15 rifles (the second purchase was premature, but unfortunately IP-43 inspired; and anyway, one is none), and eventually a .22 LR pistol and rifle to help keep down the cost of ammo.

In the meanwhile, as a gun-owner, I not only feel, but know I am actually safer, and freer, not having to rely on government for my protection (especially the Broward County sort). At the same time, I've never experienced the pit-of-your-stomach dread of opening news sites, or turning on the TV, and hoping not to see another story about the latest shooting or on recently proposed rights-infringement laws and ballot initiatives.

I cherish American culture, even more so after having lived outside of the US for an extended period of time. Guns (in their lawful use) are very much a part of our culture, and in the world unique, as far as the ownership being that of the citizens. I also hold in high regard 1776 Americanism: individual liberty, hard-work, low taxes, private property, limited government. It's clear that when all else fails, the only means to ultimately protect our freedom is an individual citizen's right to keep and bear arms. It's not so long ago that this extreme case seemed to me unimaginable here in the US. Furthermore, based on abundant evidence concerning the history of the Second Amendment, I believe this right must be, as a bare minimum, to possess and carry arms at the level of a small arms infantryman (and of course state-of-the-art).

I have no political activism experience, but am willing to help defend our rights to the extent I am able. Hopefully, though, I can continue to spend most of my time having fun shooting and meeting like-minded people.

Welcome from Beaverton! Lots of brains to pick here. Sounds like you have a lot to contribute to the forum as well. Welcome home.

Welcome aboard.

Your mandatory "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" pamphlet with outlined talking points and good resources should arrive in the mail in the next 7-10 business days.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top