JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone, hope you're having a great weekend. Bummer about the Seahawks but we all saw that L coming. So, there isn't really anywhere clearly defined for me to post my current issues/questions so I'll just give it a shot here and if you want to point me in a better direction, please do so.

A few years ago I built my first firearm, an AR15. Thing is, I haven't even shot it once. COVID happened and I just never got around to putting a single round through it. Now I am thinking as far as guns are concerned, I would rather solely own a pistol and therefore I'd like to sell the rifle. The money, hopefully >$1,000k, in my bank account sounds better than the rifle in a case in my room for years with zero use. The first issue with my desire to sell is because I am NOT in the know of the gun culture, I have no clue where my best places are for selling. I also have no clue what my rifle is worth other than what I paid for all the parts. I also have no clue if it's a fools errand to think I can sell the complete rifle + all my accessories bundled together so I don't have to attempt to sell individual accessories one at a time which sounds like a pain-in-the-bubblegum. So any information, advice and services, shops or websites you can point me towards that I would have the most success with would be fantastic.

Just so you have as much information as possible, I'll tell you what I bought and built, plus the accessories. If you feel like you know the market and feel like telling me what you think I could get for it, that'd be great too.

Rifle total cost, not including taxes, shipping or fees was ~$1,270 with the accessories costing an added ~$600.

Rifle:

- Aero Precision Ambi lower (gen 2, blemished from factory, black) - [$125]
- Norgon ambi-catch - [$80]
- Aero Precision LPK - [$54]
- Magpul MOE trigger guard, black - [$8]
- BCM SS410 16" mid length URG w/BCM KMR 15" hand guard, 1/8 twist + BCM BCG & BCM Mod 0 comp - [$762]
- BCM Gunfighter QD end plate - [$17]
- BCM stock hardware mounting kit (mil spec) - H buffer - [$70]
- Rainer Arms AXTS Raptor ambi charging handle - [$85]
- Magpul STR Carbine stock mil-spec (foliage green) - [$70]

Accessories:

- Magpul PMAG M3 30-round magazine
- Magpul PMAG M3 40-round magazine
- 5x D&H 30rd magazines (black teflon coating - foliage green Magpul followers)
- Magpul MagLink coupler for PMAG 30/40rd mags
- Magpul MBUS Pro backup rear and front sights (MAG276 + MAG275)
- Magpul QDM quick disconnect sling swivel
- x2 BCM KeyMod rail panel kit, 5.5" foliage green (5 pack)
- BCM KAG, KeyMod, foliage green
- BCM Quick detachable sling mount, KeyMod
- Bushnell Trophy TRS25 red dot sight
- Magpul MS4 dual QD sling Gen2, ranger green
- Magpul sling mount kit - type 2
- Condor double rifle case (OD)

Well, well.... helloooooo.

Looking Jim Carrey GIF

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODF supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Take it completely apart and sell off the parts individually. This should also help selling the lower as you'll no longer have to deal with the WA laws on selling and buying an "assault rifle".

Otherwise, take what you think you want to sell it for and divide it by 2, that's what your likely going to be able to sell it for.

Take it completely apart and sell off the parts individually. This should also help selling the lower as you'll no longer have to deal with the WA laws on selling and buying an "assault rifle".

Otherwise, take what you think you want to sell it for and divide it by 2, that's what your likely going to be able to sell it for.
That sounds like a lot of work but worth it if the loss is that great selling it as a whole. If it were you, would you just start listing things on forums classifieds or gunbroker.com or what?

Will that "loop-hole" if you will always be available to WA residents? If WA passes a AWB does that prevent the sale, purchase (& so on) of AR15 lower receivers too? Or you could still buy a lower receiver and build them yourself? Basically is the AWB just a ban on prebuilt rifles but doesn't really change anything for builders?

Thank you for the response btw.

Hey,

So there isn't anywhere clear for me to post this seeing as I'm not listing my rifle (yet) but I've also got questions about pricing, where to sell, selling and so on. I haven't found any "ask for help" or "got Buying & Selling questions? We've got answers!" sub-forums that this would be a better fit in. So I apologize if this isn't the exact right place for this type of post.

A few years ago I bought the parts for and built my first ever firearm, an AR-15. It's awesome. However, COVID and life happened and I never got around to actually putting a single round through it. I'm now sitting here looking at it thinking I 1) would prefer money made from its sale over the rifle itself and 2) if I'm gonna own a firearm I'd rather own a pistol. Not to mention 3) one day WA State is gonna get their beloved AWB and selling it will become impossible when that happens. While I dove into the firearms community enough to learn how to build the rifle (it was easy), I never stayed in it in order to learn what the best ways to sell your firearm and what the going price for my rifle would be. In order to know how you should price something you have to know how much similar or identical items are successfully selling for. So, here I am, asking you guys and gals if you can help me out by sharing some of your knowledge and experience.

I will first tell you what I built. Here is the parts list:

Rifle:

- Aero Precision Ambi lower (gen 2, blemished from factory, black) - [$125]
- Norgon ambi-catch - [$80]
- Aero Precision LPK - [$54]
- Magpul MOE trigger guard, black - [$8]
- BCM SS410 16" mid length URG w/BCM KMR 15" hand guard, 1/8 twist + BCM BCG & BCM Mod 0 comp - [$762]
- BCM Gunfighter QD end plate - [$17]
- BCM stock hardware mounting kit (mil spec) - H buffer - [$70]
- Rainer Arms AXTS Raptor ambi charging handle - [$85]
- Magpul STR Carbine stock mil-spec (foliage green) - [$70]

Accessories:

- Magpul PMAG M3 30-round magazine
- Magpul PMAG M3 40-round magazine
- 5x D&H 30rd magazines (black teflon coating - foliage green Magpul followers)
- Magpul MagLink coupler for PMAG 30/40rd mags
- Magpul MBUS Pro backup rear and front sights (MAG276 + MAG275)
- Magpul QDM quick disconnect sling swivel
- x2 BCM KeyMod rail panel kit, 5.5" foliage green (5 pack)
- BCM KAG, KeyMod, foliage green
- BCM Quick detachable sling mount, KeyMod
- Bushnell Trophy TRS25 red dot sight
- Magpul MS4 dual QD sling Gen2, ranger green
- Magpul sling mount kit - type 2
- Condor double rifle case (OD)

The rifle itself, not counting taxes, S&H or any gun-store fees, was $1,270 with the accessories costing an added ~$600. Now obviously I'd love to sell the rifle with as many of the accessories as possible because man, wtf do I do with a bunch of AR-15 accessories? I don't plan on owning another AR-15, so I will have no use for them. The idea of individually selling each one, one-by-one, gives me a headache. Lol. But I realize this is likely a pipe dream, with many interested purchasers likely having their own accessories already or wanting to buy their own according to their preferences & needs.

So, my questions are;
  1. What are my best options when it comes to selling the rifle (as a whole or disassembled), in terms of location of sale? (assume no private sale to a friend or family member)
  2. If you owned my rifle and were trying to sell it, what price would you list it for?
  3. In your opinion, does the rifle need to be disassembled and everything (rifle parts, accessories, etc) need to be sold individually?
  4. If the accessories need to be sold separately, how would you go about selling them and where would you attempt to sell them?
Honestly, thank you for any help you can provide!

I say shoot it, you might like it and want to shoot it some more and build another and shoot it as well. After all the correct number of guns is just one more.
Honestly, to sell a home built AR someone has to want exactly what you built or they will just buy a Ruger or something else for 600 bucks and doll it up their way themselves.

throw it in the classifieds for approximately what you have in it [minus the high cap mags for Wa. buyers] and see what happens. speaking for myself I would hesitate to buy an unfired, home-built rifle from a first-time builder. no offense meant, just my take on things.

throw it in the classifieds for approximately what you have in it [minus the high cap mags for Wa. buyers] and see what happens. speaking for myself I would hesitate to buy an unfired, home-built rifle from a first-time builder. no offense meant, just my take on things.
Thank you. Good reminder about the high cap mags.

Funny, cause I both completely understand that sentiment and yet, don't. Building it was so extremely easy with all I had to do being putting the LPK into the lower and assembling the buffer tube for the stock and it was done. The upper was complete so it's lot like I attached the barrel to the upper and assembling the gas system or anything. Was easier than most lego sets lol.
I say shoot it, you might like it and want to shoot it some more and build another and shoot it as well. After all the correct number of guns is just one more.
Honestly, to sell a home built AR someone has to want exactly what you built or they will just buy a Ruger or something else for 600 bucks and doll it up their way themselves.
I completely understand this line of thinking but I honestly don't believe I want an AR15. No matter how fun it is to shoot. A pistol? Yes. But a rifle? No.

Good point. Doesn't that mean I am much more likely to have success by disassembling it and selling it part by part then? That way builders looking for discount parts will come across mine (brand new for a discounted price) and snatch them up?

Well, Nate . You live in the wrong state.
Your magazines can't be sold locally.
As far as $1000 AR , it's worth 5/600 bucks. Sorry man
The magazines I'm fine with, eating ~$50 isn't an issue.

Are you assuming the AR is worth 5/600 bucks parted out or complete?

I mean, if I disassemble it and sell it (brand new, never used, open box) for 80% of the MSRP I'm making more than 5/600 bucks. Complete lower (lower, ambi catch, LPK, trigger guard) for $199 instead of $267. Upper (I imagine I gotta discount it more cause it's KeyMod and not M-LOK or just throw in the KeyMod accessories for free) for $600-$699 instead of $762, stock + buffer + end plate for $120 instead of $157 and the charging handle for $70 instead of $85. So that's ~$1,000 of $1,271.

Now that might sound optimistic, and it easily could be, specifically with the URG and it being KeyMod. However, new Aero stripped lowers are still $120-$135 new. Magpul STR stocks are $85 new. Raptor ambi charging handles are $95 new. BCM 16" URG's with 15" handguards are $780 new. Aero LPK's are still $50 new. So everything I bought 5+ years ago is either the same price or more expensive now. You're telling me if I list them, never used once, for legit savings I won't sell them until they are listed at 50% off? I'd have to sell the brand new URG for $350 when I paid $762 and MLOK BCM's are going for $780 new? What gun builders are gonna see a brand new BCM URG for ~$100 off and say "nah"? Getting a complete $267 lower for $68 off? I'm genuinely asking if the second hand buyers market is THAT stingy and only makes an offer if you list parts for 50% of their value. Specifically new parts, not "8,000 rounds used" or something.

As long as the upper wasn't home built, I see no reason to worry about it being safe. Much like a home built engine, you're never gonna get out of it what you put in. My .02 is just keep the SOB and shoot the snot out of it. I get a lot more joy shooting my own "builds" than store bought models. You just may regret selling "serial number 1" down the line

As long as the upper wasn't home built, I see no reason to worry about it being safe. Much like a home built engine, you're never gonna get out of it what you put in. My .02 is just keep the SOB and shoot the snot out of it. I get a lot more joy shooting my own "builds" than store bought models. You just may regret selling "serial number 1" down the line
I massively respect that opinion and if we we're talking about me having spent $1,200 and no matter what, only being able to get $600 out of it then I probably would. But if I, selling it in pieces and selling whatever accessories I can sell too can get $1k then that's a LOT of money. Money that can help with a bill or towards a hobby that I am MUCH more active in. Not to mention "shooting the snot out of it" means an even deeper $$$ investment considering the price of ammo. What is 5.56 bulk nowadays? 50 cents a round? I go hard and shoot 1,000 rounds in a year and that's $500... not counting any costs associated with the range and gas to drive to said range(s).

Yeah, that's why I didn't really get the "homebuilt gives me pause" opinion unless they thought I built the URG. I wanted to clarify that the upper was complete from BCM and all the "building" I did was put the LPK into the stripped lower. I imagine every gun owner in this forum could look inside the lower with a flashlight and confirm that it's good to go or was assembled done wrong.

Issue no. 1. Building AR's can be a lot like building hot rods. You can buy all the neat stuff and get way underwater in money than you will ever get out of it at resale. I'm no AR expert, but that $762 upper, you're probably not gonna get your dough out of that. The $85 charging handle, last one I bought was like $20, they are almost an expendible item, why pay big bucks for one. Etc, etc.

Issue no. 2. It's a build. Builds are everywhere, everyone wanted to do it. It's basically a parts gun, and it doesn't carry the resale value of a factory assembled gun. Which can be gotten for less money than you have tied up in your outfit. To your credit, you used a previously assembled upper; as already stated, that takes away a lot of the mystery of an untried AR.

Issue no. 3. The Wash. AWB. This is an unknown. At this time, we don't have a good vision of what's going to come out of that. In your case, you might hope for some panic buying that will bump the price for some panic buyers. I've seen it happen back in 2013 when it was Obama driven. In your case, it's possible an AWB could be your friend. Might as well take the good with the bad.

I'm not gonna be the guy who says, "keep it and learn to like it." If you want it to go away, be ready to lose some money selling it as an attractively priced package deal. After all, it's a hobby. People squander money on hobbies all the time. It's just that with guns, we usually expect to get money back. I've seen used golf clubs at the Goodwill for a dollar apiece, I'm pretty sure the guy didn't get his money back out of those. Keep your eye out for an AWB effective date that might come looming over our heads.

I wouldn't advise trying to sell all that little stuff piece by piece. You're right, unless you're accustomed to it, that kind of activity could cause a headache. Every item on that list needs to find the right buyer. It might take a long time to move many individual items, even at a discount, and you'd still have some things left over.

Start working on that package deal. Inquire around your area in pawn shops or local gun dealers that might take it in on consignment. I have an idea there will be a rush on that, though. However, if the AWB spurs panic buying, that may counter the rush of sellers. I'd suggest looking for dealers in Snohomish or Pierce Counties to take it on. Or maybe DJ's guns in Bothell, I think they are just inside King Co. DJ's isn't what it used to be, but they may have room on their wall to sell it on consignment. Make calls first.

Thanks! I hadn't mentioned it but I was definitely curious about your #3 point. Wondering if the fear of a AWB would lead to panic buying. Ironic you mention DJ's considering that is the FFL I got the lower receiver from. Will definitely check in with them to see what they think.

As for #1, I'm ready to lose some money, but of course there is a limit to how much. I completely understand what you are saying about say charging handles and such but I will say there are builders who go budget ($600 AR15) and builders who buy "bang for buck"/"what's popular right now because it's the best/really good" and I was definitely a mix of the two. I assume it helps me that what I've got is still popular and made by manufacturers for the same price if not more. That charging handle? It's now $95 MSRP. If any of the $800-1000k builders out there are looking for deals to bring their builds price down and they see my brand new charging handle for $30 cheaper than MSRP, that's gotta be attractive, right? Same with the URG. BCM has them listed at $790. The only negative of mine, considering it is brand new/never used, is that it is KeyMod not MLOK but at a discount and included with it are all of my KeyMod accessories for free? That's gotta be attractive. Not to the $600 AR15 folks but those slowly accumulating parts through deals and those building $800-$1k builds but constantly browsing for deals in order to save money.

I will definitely try a more packaged together attempt first. It makes sense to at least test the waters there. Then, if it doesn't go well, breaking it down into the complete upper and complete lower might get me the results I'm hoping for. Seems more likely that someone with an eye on the listings has an upper they like or already own but are in need a complete lower and then mine pops up in the listings, a brand new complete lower but discounted a decent chunk, and that hooks them.

Sure I'll have a lot of accessories left to sell but that's not a problem, just a mild pain-in-the-butt. I can just put up a listing with the full list of accessories for sale and people can read it, express interest in what they want and over time will buy up the items. Assuming my prices find buyers.

The magazines I'm fine with, eating ~$50 isn't an issue.

Are you assuming the AR is worth 5/600 bucks parted out or complete?

I mean, if I disassemble it and sell it (brand new, never used, open box) for 80% of the MSRP I'm making more than 5/600 bucks. Complete lower (lower, ambi catch, LPK, trigger guard) for $199 instead of $267. Upper (I imagine I gotta discount it more cause it's KeyMod and not M-LOK or just throw in the KeyMod accessories for free) for $600-$699 instead of $762, stock + buffer + end plate for $120 instead of $157 and the charging handle for $70 instead of $85. So that's ~$1,000 of $1,271.

Now that might sound optimistic, and it easily could be, specifically with the URG and it being KeyMod. However, new Aero stripped lowers are still $120-$135 new. Magpul STR stocks are $85 new. Raptor ambi charging handles are $95 new. BCM 16" URG's with 15" handguards are $780 new. Aero LPK's are still $50 new. So everything I bought 5+ years ago is either the same price or more expensive now. You're telling me if I list them, never used once, for legit savings I won't sell them until they are listed at 50% off? I'd have to sell the brand new URG for $350 when I paid $762 and MLOK BCM's are going for $780 new? What gun builders are gonna see a brand new BCM URG for ~$100 off and say "nah"? Getting a complete $267 lower for $68 off? I'm genuinely asking if the second hand buyers market is THAT stingy and only makes an offer if you list parts for 50% of their value. Specifically new parts, not "8,000 rounds used" or something.
Pretty much. Home brew AR15s do not hold value. They are not unique, nor desirable to be honest. Something you put together may be worth $1000 to you. To others it's just a bunch of parts some dude put together on the Internet. You can list it at whatever price you want. I'm saying this from experience, you likely won't get what you paid. Then there is the competence factor. Did this person assemble it correctly? How would I know, it's never even been fired? I can be spending thousands of dollars on a gun that doesn't even work. That's why I said to part it out and take the smaller loss. It is more work to take it apart. But brand new parts will yield a smaller loss overall. If you think I'm making it up, check out my feedback numbers. I've been renting gun stuff for years.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top