JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First date with this 50 plus university graduate, 6 years post-divorce, and we are watching her TV MSNBC yesterday with the 20 year old TV announcers when the service is railing on gun control. So, I mentioned at the very end of our first date, while watching the anti-gun broadcast, that the subject matter was very complex and at present, we can not keep the guns out of the hands of criminals. So, she jumps in, and says "Uzi's are not used for hunting and should be taken away!". Where upon I just figured she entirely discredited herself, was way too liberal for me, some what hysterical comments made by her and I politely exited the date because it was time to go. She knows nothing of my visceral response to her comments. She commented in an earlier conversation that day that her son was a Portland PD officer, and she did not like guns.

Although she was super nice, I was nerved on her anti gun and confiscation ideas. What should I do, not ever call her again, or what?

She might be salvageable. Politely drift the conservations toward how she feels about lots of stuff. Religion. Economics. Politics. Environment. Male and female roles. Responsibilities of prudent citizenship. Ask the hard stress questions. This is very important.

Some things will never change. Some ideals might be changeable. But some are rock solid in bedded in her brain stem and will never change. If you do not like what you see and what you can love and live with, walk away. Be polite but vote with your feet. Do it fast.

I know. If she can not drive a heavy truck, land an airplane, ride a horse, swim fine, hike, run, shoot, ride a bike, a motorcycle, drive a race car, shoot a bow, can fight, give a speech, know farming, operate heavy equipment, con a big boat, overhaul an engine, I do not want her.

Just kidding. But religion, politics, and economics are most of it. Fortunately or unfortunately. The important thing is do you like her?

I wouldn't call on her anymore. That relationship is going nowhere IMO. Any gal that thinks guns are icky and scary is off limits. If she just pleads ignorance to them that is one thing. But if she knows nothing of guns and forms her opinion based on what the ladies on the View say then she isn't worth the time. There are plenty of women out there that would not see you disarmed.

You don't date gun grabbers.......

She doesn't have to be into guns. She needs to be into people having the right to protect themselves.

She can have whatever views she pleases. If any of them are a deal breaker, so be it.

Edit: My personal experience? When we were dating, my wife expressed multiple times her hatred for guns. We've been together for 11 years, married for 4, and she shoots with me any time I go. Her favorite is her AK-47.

2nd edit: She read the post and chewed me out because we've been married for 6 years, not 4. I'm bad with numbers.

Last Edited:
She can have whatever views she pleases. If any of them are a deal breaker, so be it.

Edit: My personal experience? When we were dating, my wife expressed multiple times her hatred for guns. We've been together for 11 years, married for 4, and she shoots with me any time I go. Her favorite is her AK-47.
Your wife hated guns, did she also think that they should be confiscated? Date, marry be with whoever you want. My opinion is you're setting yourself up for failure by going certain routes. Nothing is guarantee'd in this life, but why take the path with a snowballs chance in hell?

A dyed in the wool liberal feminist might want to think real hard about marrying a radical Muslim and moving to his village.

Your wife hated guns, did she also think that they should be confiscated? Date, marry be with whoever you want. My opinion is you're setting yourself up for failure by going certain routes. Nothing is guarantee'd in this life, but why take the path with a snowballs chance in hell?

A dyed in the wool liberal feminist might want to think real hard about marrying a radical Muslim and moving to his village.

That's why I had her fill out a 2A questionnaire before we started dating. She passed it just barely, but I gave her a chance.

Point being, if you're so insecure about others having an opinion that differs from your own, enjoy being alone. People change, we have an effect on each other at all times. If someone believes in gun confiscation and you're so incredibly triggered by it that you can't see any other character traits of an individual, then like I said, message Herb g, he might want a dinner.

Date her a few more times, OP. I think you'll find that IF there's any connection there, and she's a mature adult, her views will change. And if they don't, and you can't deal with it, then end it. But that's one of the parts of dating. Your and her views will change based on the other's.

That's why I had her fill out a 2A questionnaire before we started dating. She passed it just barely, but I gave her a chance.

Point being, if you're so insecure about others having an opinion that differs from your own, enjoy being alone. People change, we have an effect on each other at all times. If someone believes in gun confiscation and you're so incredibly triggered by it that you can't see any other character traits of an individual, then like I said, message Herb g, he might want a dinner.

Date her a few more times, OP. I think you'll find that IF there's any connection there, and she's a mature adult, her views will change. And if they don't, and you can't deal with it, then end it. But that's one of the parts of dating. Your and her views will change based on the others.
It isn't insecurity to want a partner that will have your back. Triggered by taking the position that people have rights that should not be trampled o_O

So tell us more about how you miraculously helped turn your wife into a gun lover? You must have reciprocated in some way?

Yes tkdguy keep dating the quisling. It will most likely have a wonderful happy ending.

It isn't insecurity to want a partner that will have your back. Triggered by taking the position that people have rights that should not be trampled o_O

So tell us more about how you miraculously helped turn your wife into a gun lover? You must have reciprocated in some way?

Yes tkdguy keep dating the quisling. It will most likely have a wonderful happy ending.

Well, it's really quite simple. When you date someone, you are forced to share your lives with each other. It's kind of a feeling out process in the very early moments. When you date, you'll find this out.

But ya see, when you're getting to know someone in any way really, but more so in a potentially romantic way, you communicate truthfully with them. And in any relationship, there's things both of you like or dislike. For instance, she didn't like that I'm a big time scifi nerd that forces her to watch Star Trek, and I didn't like the fact that she was a super Christian. BUT, we found that we really enjoyed each other's company despite these quirks, and continued to date.

In time, her views changed and so did mine. Another for instance: she stridently believed in absolutely zero reason to own or operate semiautomatic rifles. Now don't get me wrong, it took her some time. But being as we are two mature adults in a committed relationship, she finally went out shooting with me. The first time she fired a gun, she was a bit skittish. And that's ok, most are. But we ended up shooting all day. When it finally dawned on her that yes, these are tools, and yes, they are SUPER fun, her views became more along the lines of my views. That they aren't evil shooty things that kill babies.

In trade, I had to watch The Princess Bride. And I'll be god damned, that's a good movie.

So if one personal view expressed in the budding moments of a relationship ruin any possible future for you, you're gonna have a lonely life. It takes work.

I can also teach you how sex works, if you'd like.

Well, it's really quite simple. When you date someone, you are forced to share your lives with each other. It's kind of a feeling out process in the very early moments. When you date, you'll find this out.

But ya see, when you're getting to know someone in any way really, but more so in a potentially romantic way, you communicate truthfully with them. And in any relationship, there's things both of you like or dislike. For instance, she didn't like that I'm a big time scifi nerd that forces her to watch Star Trek, and I didn't like the fact that she was a super Christian. BUT, we found that we really enjoyed each other's company despite these quirks, and continued to date.

In time, her views changed and so did mine. Another for instance: she stridently believed in absolutely zero reason to own or operate semiautomatic rifles. Now don't get me wrong, it took her some time. But being as we are two mature adults in a committed relationship, she finally went out shooting with me. The first time she fired a gun, she was a bit skittish. And that's ok, most are. But we ended up shooting all day. When it finally dawned on her that yes, these are tools, and yes, they are SUPER fun, her views became more along the lines of my views. That they aren't evil shooty things that kill babies.

In trade, I had to watch The Princess Bride. And I'll be god damned, that's a good movie.

So if one personal view expressed in the budding moments of a relationship ruin any possible future for you, you're gonna have a lonely life. It takes work.

I can also teach you how sex works, if you'd like.
Good for you. Maybe she can help you come to Jesus one day.

No long term relationship can succeed when core beliefs differ unless one person is going to abandon their core beliefs to convert to the other side. Are you going to get rid of all your guns and start crossing your legs when you sit down? If not, move on. Someone who has lived that much of their life with their head up their butt is beyond help.

My wife loves me and tolerates my gun and knife obsessions if you will.

She is left, liberal, feminist etc but takes the time to try and understand why I think the way I do and has come around to finally agreeing to getting a CHL if for no other reason then to be able to have me leave my gun in the car with her while I run into a store or whatever.

We've been together for 24 years and it's been a painfully slow process.

She understands the gun logic and tries to gently point out to her friends and co-workers that they are reacting emotionally and not dealing in facts. She and I often have conversations about politics that we are on opposite sides of.

Having said that - I wouldn't even try and change a 50 year old lady who already has a PD son and hates guns. It's a no win and all heartache battle. I would call her and tell her why your not interested though. If for nothing else then to give her the gift of closure so she's not sitting around wondering what she said or did.

Having said that - I wouldn't even try and change a 50 year old lady who already has a PD son and hates guns. It's a no win and all heartache battle. I would call her and tell her why your not interested though. If for nothing else then to give her the gift of closure so she's not sitting around wondering what she said or did.

Solid point. I still say give it a shot, but you may very well be right.

Found it! Never mind :rolleyes:

051880EA-BBC3-4C2B-A84E-DDFF15569B55.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top