JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I am the President of the Kids S.A.F.E. Foundation. We are a 501c3 nonprofit based in Eugene. We teach firearm safety and accident prevention to children. Since our founding back in 2016, we have reached over 28,000 in 5 states and have taught them important life skills. Currently, we are being heavily censored on social media and I am looking to find more Pro-2A platforms. I came here to network. Thank you for having us!

Kids S.A.F.E. Foundation

YouTube

IMG_3677.jpeg

Welcome!

Not to detract from S.A.F.E. as an organization or it's goals... which I fully support and believe are highly commendable... but I am curious about the statement on the main page:

"FIREARM ACCIDENTS ARE THE 3RD LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH FOR CHILDREN IN THE STATE OF OREGON"

I'm curious what data sets that information is based on. IE. Incident types, ages groups, etc. The concern of course is validity of that type of claim. It may very well be true, but if manipulated toward sensationalism in an effort to drive participation in safety programs I wonder if, as a whole, it doesn't do more harm in fueling the anti-firearm sentiments in the state(?)

IE., "Prominent pro-2A child firearm safety organization in OR reports..." carries a lot of weight in public perception.

I'm familiar too with the practice of "wide lumping" vast numbers of causes into one general classification that is then only counted as "one" in the rankings in an effort to drive up the seeming significance and ranking of the chosen cause. Many times... those broad classifications making up the vast lions share of all deaths... and next ranking "causes" comprising only an incredibly small percentage of all deaths. By "ranking" in that way... the statements can be, technically, crafted to be true, but actual numbers of deaths is vastly far from any accuracy and the picture being painted.

I'm not saying that's what's going on here, but the "accidental firearms deaths" seems incredibly high... especially when it is also stated on the website that 3-4 children per day die from firearm accidents nationwide. Nationwide, more children per day die from accidental injuries, cancer/congenital defects, auto accidents, homicides, and malnutrition than the 3-4 per day to accidental firearm deaths stated.

That claim is only for Oregon though so, as far as I know, the true and fair data points do back that up. I would just like transparency in that claim.

Hello,

I am the President of the Kids S.A.F.E. Foundation. We are a 501c3 nonprofit based in Eugene. We teach firearm safety and accident prevention to children. Since our founding back in 2016, we have reached over 28,000 in 5 states and have taught them important life skills. Currently, we are being heavily censored on social media and I am looking to find more Pro-2A platforms. I came here to network. Thank you for having us!

Kids S.A.F.E. Foundation

YouTube

View attachment 1762417
Welcome. Ive taken my kids to your class and its an invaluable resource. Thank you for the hard work you do putting that out there.

Welcome!

Not to detract from S.A.F.E. as an organization or it's goals... which I fully support and believe are highly commendable... but I am curious about the statement on the main page:

"FIREARM ACCIDENTS ARE THE 3RD LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH FOR CHILDREN IN THE STATE OF OREGON"

I'm curious what data sets that information is based on. IE. Incident types, ages groups, etc. The concern of course is validity of that type of claim. It may very well be true, but if manipulated toward sensationalism in an effort to drive participation in safety programs I wonder if, as a whole, it doesn't do more harm in fueling the anti-firearm sentiments in the state(?)

IE., "Prominent pro-2A child firearm safety organization in OR reports..." carries a lot of weight in public perception.

I'm familiar too with the practice of "wide lumping" vast numbers of causes into one general classification that is then only counted as "one" in the rankings in an effort to drive up the seeming significance and ranking of the chosen cause. Many times... those broad classifications making up the vast lions share of all deaths... and next ranking "causes" comprising only an incredibly small percentage of all deaths. By "ranking" in that way... the statements can be, technically, crafted to be true, but actual numbers of deaths is vastly far from any accuracy and the picture being painted.

I'm not saying that's what's going on here, but the "accidental firearms deaths" seems incredibly high... especially when it is also stated on the website that 3-4 children per day die from firearm accidents nationwide. Nationwide, more children per day die from accidental injuries, cancer/congenital defects, auto accidents, homicides, and malnutrition than the 3-4 per day to accidental firearm deaths stated.

That claim is only for Oregon though so, as far as I know, the true and fair data points do back that up. I would just like transparency in that claim.
In reality they aren't accidents, it's more likely negligence. 1. Why was that firearm where a child can come across it? 2. Why was that child not properly educated? The numbers fluctuate from year to year and also vary in different parts of the state. Teen suicide also can affect these statistics as well because of definitions coming from the CDC.

In reality they aren't accidents, it's more likely negligence. 1. Why was that firearm where a child can come across it? 2. Why was that child not properly educated? The numbers fluctuate from year to year and also vary in different parts of the state. Teen suicide also can affect these statistics as well because of definitions coming from the CDC.
So teen suicide with a firearm is being considered an accidental death?

By the response, I take it the source information/statistics is not going to be forthcoming?

I guess my hope would be that, even in the promotion of a highly worthwhile and necessary effort, that organizations would not "adjust" the data to sensationalize a particular issue or increase "shock value" for the sake of promoting those efforts. It is in essence... dishonest and manipulative.

It does vastly more damage than good, IMHO, but maybe that is the intent?
An organization doesn't have to be "Pro-2A" to provide firearm education.🤔

It would seem sufficient to simply state that lack of education is the #1 leading cause of accidental firearm deaths among children. One death is too many and it is preventable... or something to that affect(?)

It would seem sufficient to simply state that lack of education is the #1 leading cause of accidental firearm deaths among children.
For an organization to state that theyd have to cite a source for that. Has anyone published a research study on that claim?

So teen suicide with a firearm is being considered an accidental death?

By the response, I take it the source information/statistics is not going to be forthcoming?

I guess my hope would be that, even in the promotion of a highly worthwhile and necessary effort, that organizations would not "adjust" the data to sensationalize a particular issue or increase "shock value" for the sake of promoting those efforts. It is in essence... dishonest and manipulative.

It does vastly more damage than good, IMHO, but maybe that is the intent?
An organization doesn't have to be "Pro-2A" to provide firearm education.🤔

It would seem sufficient to simply state that lack of education is the #1 leading cause of accidental firearm deaths among children. One death is too many and it is preventable... or something to that affect(?)
I explained how data was interpreted to support the position. I will not engage with you here. You can believe what you want. No matter what I say you will not be satisfied. I have more important things to do than argue semantics on an internet forum. If I remember correctly this is the second time you have tried to discredit the work that we do. It's okay, you can criticize others or you can do something to help society. I prefer the latter. So have a great day!

For an organization to state that theyd have to cite a source for that. Has anyone published a research study on that claim?
Not a one that I'm aware of, but common sense would dictate that lack of education on firearm handling would lead to accidental/unintentional discharges... like it does in adults. 🤣

If there is no need to cite any study or data set to qualify the "...3rd leading cause of of death in Oregon" statement.... why would they be required to cite a source to qualify any other claim?🤔

Not a one that I'm aware of, but common sense would dictate that lack of education on firearm handling would lead to accidental/unintentional discharges... like it does in adults. 🤣

If there is no need to cite any study or data set to qualify the "...3rd leading cause of of death in Oregon" statement.... why would they be required to cite a source to qualify any other claim?🤔
Lost me there.

Kids safe does an amazing job educating kids and parents on gun safety. This does a lot for future gun rights in more ways than just preventing accidents. Kids Safe has my full support.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews