Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New gun

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by IheartGUNS, Mar 13, 2012.

1. IheartGUNS

IheartGUNS WaCo Well-Known Member

I bought a new gun(rifle) a year and a half ago, threw it in the safe and never looked back til today. I looked down the barrel and its dirty as a $2 ______. Anyway is it okay to leave it like that?

2. jp1985

jp1985 Linn County, Oregon Active Member

:bluelaugh: What type of rifle? IMO Normally I would advise against letting a gun get dirty and stay that way, but i do have a AK i keep fairly dirty(because she likes it :p).

3. csp243

csp243 Beaverton New Member

I would clean any gun before using it.

4. IheartGUNS

IheartGUNS WaCo Well-Known Member

Well lets just keep it at new firearm, because I have more than 1 thats new and unfired by me. Basically I'm asking if its ok to let the carbon sit on a new gun. Oh by the way, didn't you know ak's work better when dirty?:thumbup:

Well duh lol. I remember when I bought a new gun, didn't even look at it just took it straight to the range the next day. Shot about 100-150 flawless rounds. Took it home, took it apart and wow, friggen gun was super dry. I was surprised it even cycled being how dry it was.

5. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

I'd clean it. Most AKs have chrome lined barrels and should be ok with carbon, however if you shot corrosive ammo though it, it's probably already pitted.
    Why would you want to leave it dirty? Just because AKs function dirty doesn't mean that's the best condition to leave them in.

6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Anything in the barrel has the potential to attract moister,and that's not good.
    Now if you had run an oily cloth thru it before you but the poor thing in the cell,I mean safe,it would probably be fine.

Have a gun for a year and not shoot it?
    I..wha..how.... WTF???
    I have a few I haven't shot after a couple months and feel guilty