JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I also picked up another new gun today from a local seller. It is a Ruger Security Six .357 in 4" barrel. It's in really nice condition and everything works very smoothly. He has taken really good care of it. I can't wait to get this one out and shoot it.

I had my wife dry far it and in SA mode she had no problems. But when she tried it in DA she couldn't pull the trigger so she probably won't be firing this gun very much but she should do ok with my S&W .38 Special as it's DA trigger pull is a lot lighter than this one.

The funny thing is, I have another one I'll be picking up tomorrow at Cut Above Pawn that is in a 6" barrel. I had pulled the trigger on that one on GunBroker's just 9 hours before I was contacted about this 4" gun. I really wanted a 4" to begin with and I was watching some on GunBroker that I might have tried for but I saw this real nice 6" one with box and manual and holster that was advertised as almost new with an offer option on the listing. So I made an offer and it was accepted. I wouldn't have bought this one if I'd known about the 4" first, but that is how it goes sometimes. I'll fire them both and see which I like the most and then probably sell the other one as I'm not really into keeping several of basically the same gun... and then I can go buy a different gun. :)

RugerSecSix1233.jpg

RugerSecSixLeft1227.jpg

RugerSecSixRight1229.jpg

Mike

Thanks Chee-to. Here is a picture of the 6" Security Six I picked up last Saturday.

SecSixLeft1245.jpg

SecSixRight1246.jpg

I like the looks of both of them, but they do have stiff triggers and the 6" has a stiff hammer, at least to me. I'm wanting to get a .22 revolver (probably the Ruger GP100 or SP101 or a nice Model 617) so I will sell the 6" at some point to pay for it. I like the 4" barrel size a lot better and am looking forward to shooting it.

Mike

Yeah, my GF has issues pulling the DA on my SP101 and can't pull the hammer back one handed... I'm tempted to get a wolf spring kit, but it's not so much a pressing issue for me.

Nice looking gun you have there! :)

Thanks Chee-to. Here is a picture of the 6" Security Six I picked up last Saturday.

View attachment 503176

View attachment 503177

I like the looks of both of them, but they do have stiff triggers and the 6" has a stiff hammer, at least to me. I'm wanting to get a .22 revolver (probably the Ruger GP100 or SP101 or a nice Model 617) so I will sell the 6" at some point to pay for it. I like the 4" barrel size a lot better and am looking forward to shooting it.

Wolff springs will make a big improvement in the DA trigger pull. All my Ruger DA pistols have Wolff springs, easy inexpensive change. I think there are three weights and I ended up using the middle one. After the spring change any spots that show wear or rub marks can be polished with hard stone or fine grit for even more improvement. These are great pistols when improved over factory specs. I think most Ruger DA pistols take the same springs.
Mike

Last Edited:
The 4" has Wolff springs installed and I can tell the difference between it and the 6". I don't know what the trigger was like before the person I bought it from installed the Wolff spring, although he included the original springs with it so I could put it back if I wanted.

WP4, which one, the 4" or the 6"? howmuchchagot? ;) Seriously, on the 6" I waffle between a couple of prices in my head but figured I'd settle on something when I got around to posting it. I don't have to sell it but if I had been offered the 4" 9 hours earlier I would have just bought it and not bought the 6" gun as I really wanted a 4". But at the time, the 6" was available and 4" ones were not and I wanted a Security Six. It's funny how it never fails that right after you buy something something else pops up that is really what you wanted.

If you are really interested, PM me.

Mike

Hang on to both. I have the 6" version that I dismantled, because my Dad never cleaned his guns, and did some minor polishing. The trigger is much better now with no parts replacement. If you do open it up, be sure to do it in a deep box or bag. There is a spring and lever that will fly across the room when you drop/disassemble the trigger assembly if you don't. I can't recall what they were, but are a PITA to get reassembled without parts flying.

I love my 6", but wouldn't mind a 4". The 6" is just very well balanced and a little more accurate.

Last Edited:
Bought blued Ruger Security Six on moving to Alaska in 1976.Carried it with confidence. Hated to shoot it. Dang loud thing. Even with hearing protection the bark upon discharge was unpleasant. But I like magnum guns. Second issue was more profound. Every time I shot the gun it threw crap backwards on my face. Didn't matter what manufacturer of ammo. Found Smith Model 29 so decided to sell Ruger. Have a brother in law I really didn't like back then. Sold it to him. Most guns I have chosen to own I don't sell. Not sure which I did not care for most, brother in law or Ruger Security Six. Heard recently he gave it away.

Ownerus... not only do I need to sell one so I can say that, I also need to sell it just before the price jumps on it so I can whine about not keeping it long enough to make money when I sold it. ;)

Mike

The Wolf springs work magic in these Rugers. Seeing these pictures brought back memories of four friends with four Rugers all shooting .357 Magnums! Two of them got tuned by a local gunsmith and they were oh so nice to shoot especially in double-action. I recall the 4" were nice to carry and very accurate...and the 6" were slightly better for slow fire accuracy. I suggest you order some Starline brass, get some powder, primers...:)

A "Thinking out loud" moment.. I have generally stuck with 4 inch barrels in D.A. .357s, until I traded into a 6" mod 66 Smith... the difference in muzzle blast was evident as was my personal accuracy.. the .357 was first available with the 8+ inch barrel and the .357 mag shines with the longer barrel lengths- a lot less unburnt powder and muzzle flash.. many may disagree, but the 4" barrels are just too short (IMO) to utilise the potential of this cartridge. The Ruger Blackhawk with 7.5" barrel is about right for the caliber. We may agree to disagree;).
The Ruger "6's" were a timely addition to the .357 family back in the day.. for those of us who couldnt spare the $$$ for a Smith or a Python back then, they did the trick quite well.

No argument from me, DunRanull. I don't know enough about shooting a .357 to say one way or the other. In this case, I like the 4" as it seems more balanced than the 6" and the 4" has the Wolff springs installed so it has a better feel to the action. The 6" just feels stiff like a new gun and the hammer is sharp and rough on my thumb when I pull it back. So even without shooting it I'm already biased against it. :)

Mike

I bought a SS Taurus M-66, a .357 six shooter, a couple of weeks ago along with several other makes. I have been working on checking and cleaning the guns and tonight was the Taurus's turn. Once I cleaned it up it looks like a gun that fired a box of shells and put away. It looks nearly new. dryfiring it seems as smooth double action as my S&W 629, maybe better. Just fine single action. I paid $305 for it and a Security Six would have been north of $350. I would rather have gotten a Ruger if one had been available, but this Taurus seems wonderful. It looks like I have a winner. It was seized as evidence July 2002.

I also got two fine Colt Detective Specials, on in high polish nickel, square butt factory stocks, I cleaned it tonight. It was seized as evidence in Feb 1986, The other is Blue with rubber grips, but appears to be a fine gun. I work on it tomorrow night. It was found in Jun 1986

I also got two crappy looking Charter Arms, one a 38 Undercover, pretty old, it would not function at first, but clean and oil. Clean and oil, finally it worked and now a week later seems good, but still looks well used. It was found by the Police on 10 May 2018. The other is a 357 Bulldog Tracker and it looks like it has Frankenstein Urban Camo, most, or a lot of bluing gone is odd patterns. It seems a bit loosey goosey but I think I'll shoot it anyway. 38's first. It was a stolen gun, taken as evidence in August 1983.

I got a okay blued '79 6.5" 357 Blackhawk....no criminal history, I got a 2010 SS 327 Federal Magnum Blackhawk eight shooter that is pretty spiffy, also no criminal history.

Then I bought a new 30 Cal Carbine Blackhawk and a new Ruger GP-100 44 Special.

I just wanted to outdo everyone.... staying away from those auctions.

I guess it's a good thing those guns were seized for evidence pre-sale rather than post sale. ;)

I got to shoot all of my pistols today for the first time, including the two Security Six .357's, my Colt Trooper .357, S&W .38 Special and Sterling .22 pocket semi. One of the guys in my department has the use of his dad's 29 acres in Sherwood and him and some of the other guys he knows go out and shoot regularly. His dad has the place up for sale so I don't know how long it's going to be available for this, but I'm going to encourage him to shoot very often and let me know when. :D

I shot a combination of .38 and .357 ammo in the 3 .357 revolvers and had a pretty good time. The sights on the S&W .38 gave me a little bit of problem at first since it just had a groove along the top of the gun for a rear sight, so I wasn't as accurate with that one but still manage to hit the targets I aimed at.

The Colt Trooper shot as well as I expected although it has a very light trigger in SA and it shot a couple of times a hair early. Mose shooting will get me use to it. The Ruger Security Six 4" revolver also shot really well and was very accurate. The trigger has a Wolff spring mod and the trigger pull was almost perfect in SA and not bad in DA. The 6" Security Six was very impressive in how accurate it was. One of the other guys there even shot it with his weak hand and was very impressed at how accurate it was. He's not been a fan of revolvers but he really liked that one and kept asking to shoot it.

The little pocket gun was a hoot to shoot but it was a pain putting the 6 .22's in the single clip I had for it, so it didn't get shot as much as I wanted.
All in all, though we all had a great time shooting and everything functioned great. Now I get to spend some time on Sunday cleaning guns... which I don't mind at all.

Mike