JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good on ya. I bought a new SS 4" security six in '76 marked Made in the 200th year of American Liberty. I really liked it so a few years later when a friend was selling a 6" SS one I snagged it. Move forward about 20 years, an older gent I worked with (now passed on) was starting to thin his collection, knowing time is fleeting. He had a very nice 4" blued sec six. Seemed reasonable to add it toward the goal of collecting the whole set :)
Then a while later, an opportunity for a nice 6" blued came along. What else could I do?? I'm probably done now since I don't really care for short barrels. But I take satisfaction in keeping them off the street and away from them that would hoard 'em:rolleyes:
And we likes 'em we does.

When I bid on those guns I had no idea they had been in the Police property room for a decade or two, kind of creeped me a little when I found they had tags.
I checked the Taurus DA trigger pull 9 pound 8 ounces. Not bad. SA was 5 pounds 2 ounces, a little heavy for SA. I am very pleased with it and the two Colts. These three were worth what I paid and more.
I did not make out as well with the two Charter Arms, but I have had the pleasure of getting one running again and really improving both. More tinkering with them in the future.

I also picked up another new gun today from a local seller. It is a Ruger Security Six .357 in 4" barrel. It's in really nice condition and everything works very smoothly. He has taken really good care of it. I can't wait to get this one out and shoot it.

Mike

One of my favorites as well. Mine isn't brand new though, it was my Grandfathers.

Sounds like it had a bad forcing cone. With the right tools it's a simple fix. That was a very common problem with the Six series of Rugers.:):):)

Or a timing issue. My first Blackhawk (41 Mag) did that. I sent it back to Ruger and they fixed 'er up, no charge. It didn't spray after that.

The bottom one is my Security Six. Picked it up from a pawn shop for $100 with a busted poorly fitting Hogue rubber grip.

Made these grips and it fits like a glove and shoots like a dream. I really like these wheelguns.

I need some of those springs ya'll are talking about though. The previous owner of this one did something wacky and it's way too light of a trigger.

Awesome scores, bud! Keep both!

20180213_102955.jpg 20180213_102920.jpg

The Ruger Security 6 was the issue sidearm to the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) in Northern Ireland, the only part of the yUK where ordinary patrol police officers routinely wear sidearms and carried carbines, as well. The latter were initially M1s and then got changed to Mini-14s. I got to do a lot of fun shooting with the police on a number of 'tours' in the Province, and although they were generally pretty much useless [I didn't say that, did I?], there was the one sergeant who really DID know what he was doing, and he aced the monthly comps every time with ease. Having hands big enough to pick up a basketball helped, and I swear that even shooting the 158gr Federal JHP one-handed that gun never twitched.

When they became the PSNI [Police Service Northern Ireland], they changed over to the MP5 and the Glock, and the revolvers got sold out to the local gun dealers and were rapidly snapped up by keen shooters. Northern Ireland, in case you didn't know, is the one part of the yUK where an ordinary Joe can actually own a real-live handgun to shoot in a club that doesn't look like my super Redhawk [if you are easily offended, please look away now].

upload_2018-10-17_11-8-0.png

Last Edited:
Yep, nice guns. I like the looks of the short barrel Security Six.

I did some searching and picked up a couple of leather holsters for mine. I bought a brand new Galco leather holster that was molded to fit and I didn't like it. It was like sandpaper on the inside and so polished up on the outside it just didn't say "leather" to me. So I started looking for used holsters figuring they would be broken in and softer if they had been used by the original owner. I wasn't looking for fancy carvings or anything like that, so I started looking for the brand of holster my dad had with his S&W .38 Special that I have, which is a Hunter.

I found a lot of these on ebay in different sizes and once I found the size that would fit my 4" and 6" Security Six revolvers, I went looking for those. The 4" takes a Hunter 1100-12 and the 6" takes a 1100-14. My Colt Trooper also fits in the 1100-12 so I bought one for it as well. I haven't gotten them all in yet but the two I have are very smoothing and soft on the inside. I can also wear it on my right side or cross draw, which is more comfortable to me. The most expensive one was the 1100-14, which was $45 with the 1100-12's being $35 and $38. A lot cheaper than the Galco cost me, which I probably will not use at all.

One thing about getting used holsters like this, it won't bother me at all wearing them out in the brush or sliding down embankments. If they get a little scuffed up or wet in the rain it won't matter that much... yet they are still in very good shape for their age.

Mike