JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, everyone. Complete newbie here who is learning fast. I am planning to take an all-day course (recommendations appreciated).

I'd also appreciate any recommendations on shops for pistols and shotguns. I've done a few walk-ins and I'm noticing a huge variance in pricing out there. I don't mind paying a bit more to support a business, but in some situations I've seen up to $200 differences in price.

Thx,
Peter

welcome to NWF ! well... one thing i'v noticed, in my gun purchasing adventures is the "pawn shops"! most of these guy's don't pay anymore then 150 per item, and most people have already cleaned the stuffing out of their guns to get top dollar! most pawn dealers are willing to make you a deal......cash talks, and there is no sign on the door ...that you have to buy !!
we also have an awesome "classified" section here on the site.... just use the "PM" feature to make an offer ! enjoy yourself !!

steven

Welcome ATCclears. It all depends on what you're looking for and your budget. I can tell you of 2 places I've had good experiences with, and 1 that I'll probably never go to again. You can visit them and judge for yourself. Unfortunately, if you're looking for a new firearm, your choices are somewhat limited in Snohomish. Limited in terms of reasonable pricing and businesses that are "newbie" friendly. I recently purchased a few new weapons online from Bud's and Cheaper than Dirt. I used them because I knew what I wanted and all told, I saved over $400 going that route. So if you want to save more than a few pennies, buying online is definately the way to go.

Buying used can be hit or miss. Most of the pawn shops that sell weapons are as knowledgeable with firearms as I am with astro-physics. But there are exceptions. DJ's Loan in Bothell is and outstanding place if you're looking for a used weapon. They're a "pawn shop" but their inventory seems to be 90% firearms, and 10% everything else. I've been in ther there twice; once to buy, and once to just browse. Both times were pleasant experiences. One of the owners is Bruce. He'll be the guy in the wheel chair. This guy not only knows his weapons, but is super friendly and will answer any question you have. He makes you feel welcomed in his shop and is very approachable. Their prices are competitive. You may end up paying a little more for a used weapon, but when buying a used anything, I want to touch it, feel it, and go through it with a fine tooth comb. And if I have any questions or concerns I want to be able to talk to someone who can truly help me with my decision. Because of this, as well as their friendliness and knowledge, I'd be willing to pay a little more. I purchased a quality used Sig P229 in 40 SW there a few months ago and I paid $650 - I was and still am pleased with my purchase. And in my mind, the extra 50-100 bucks I paid went to support a local business that earned it.

If you do decide to purchase online, you'll have to go through a FFL. Recently, I used Sound Loan in Everett to handle my transfers. Again, another friendly and approachable owner, Jeff. It's a small hole in the wall, one man shop, but their transfer prices are the best that I've seen - $25 for a handgun, $15 for a long gun.

I don't know any of these guys personally so I'm basing my opinions on my experience with both on my gut instinct. Both strike me as decent guys who won't try to screw you over or try to sell you something you'll end up regretting.

Lastly, there's a "discount" gun store that's anything but discount. Their people are knowledgeable, but friendly? Approachable? There are some cases where their prices are over $300 more than anyone else. That's some serious scratch. Do they earn or deserve that extra $300? Based on my experience and gut instinct, I'd have to say no.

You may want to try Norpoint in Arlington for any classes. They used to use FAS, but I was told they may start offering classes on their own. I use their range every now and again and they seem to be okay people.

As far as weapon choice go, that's real subjective and predicated on what your preferences, desired outcome, and what you hope to learn. Don't break the bank on your first weapon, but stay away from a cheaply made firearm. I think 9mm is always a good starting point because of cost and the variety available. After you're comfy and have begun to broaden your knowledge, comfort level, and skills, move to a quality 40 SW. I base this on the assumption that you're looking more for self defense/CCW.

Me, I've been a Sig guy for years - again, based on my experiences. You however, may end up finding some other firearm that just feels right for you and will make you all warm and fuzzy inside.

There's sooooo much more to consider. Home defense, plinking, hunting, SHTF, etc. But, you'll figure that stuff out as you go along.

Anyways, welcome again, and the best of luck..........

Eddie1962

Eddie, thx. Right now I'm primarily being an information "whore" - getting ideas, learning from the mistakes of others, etc. I certainly have some ideas in mind for what I might purchase based on what I've learned, but I want to get out to a couple of places and rent those items to see what may be best for me.

The forums here have been VERY educational. For example, the recent 1911 discussion. I've also gotten value out of the reviews of various stores and facilities. I lean toward purchasing new for each desired item, but that may change depending on lack of availability or really high prices.

I did get my WA State CPL in the mail yesterday. I'm not ready to carry a concealed pistol, but at least now I can do it legally when the time is right.

Peter

Welcome, Peter! Looks like you're taking a considerate approach. Good for you. I will suggest that although buying used is hit or miss, so is buying new. You've got some protection from the warranty, but you might want to consider that some manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty regardless of how far down the line you are in ownership. You can pick up some really good deals on the classified here if you're patient. Good luck to you.
I think a class is always a good idea. If you wander down to Oregon, Oregon Firearms Academy in Brownsville is one of the best around. It's a bit of a trek from your locale, though. Good luck to you.

Hello, everyone. Complete newbie here who is learning fast. I am planning to take an all-day course (recommendations appreciated).

I'd also appreciate any recommendations on shops for pistols and shotguns. I've done a few walk-ins and I'm noticing a huge variance in pricing out there. I don't mind paying a bit more to support a business, but in some situations I've seen up to $200 differences in price.

Thx,
Peter
Try <broken link removed> and DJ's Loan & Sport in Bothell. Both have excellent prices.

For training, you might want to check out the Firearms Academy of Seattle. They have a lot of classes at the NorPoint Indoor Range in Arlington, which is not too far from you.

EDIT:

Sorry, I had a brain fart, and recommended Front Sight Institute for training (which is in Nevada) when I meant to recommend the Firearms Academy of Seattle. Post corrected.

Welcome to NWF! If you are totally green, I would suggest heading to a gun show. Not necessarily to buy, but to get some hands on with more firearms then you would at an average store. Find what feels good in your hand and ask questions.

I find at a show everything is laid out for you to pick up and examine and after picking up your tenth or twentieth item nobody is going to sigh and roll their eyes like some stores.

Thank you. I'm struggling with the prices at Discount Gun Sales though. They seem high.

Peter
I think you are not going to find a place in town with better prices in this area. Wade's in Bellevue is significantly higher, and West Coast Armory in Issaquah is about the same as Discount.

Discount will receive guns for you on their FFL for $40, so your best bet may be to look at GunBroker.com and GunsAmerica.com, and have what you purchase shipped to Discount or some other local gun shop.

Welcome aboard.

Check out the WAC gunshow, once a month at the Monroe fairgrounds. Lots o guns under one roof. Lots of private collectors, selling their guns. Might find a score there.

Discount Guns has raised their FFL fee to $80. I just got an SP101 through LowPriceGuns.com. Their shop is Survival Arms in Bellevue. They only charged me $29.95 to receive the gun. That has got to be the best deal around if you order a gun from out of state.

everyone will enjoy that bit of info.....80.00 bucks for transfer is out of site, and then they have the gonads to call it "discount-guns".....almost as bad as buying "ammo" from "cheaper then dirt" !!!!!!!
thanks for the "tip" "ought six"

Discount Guns has raised their FFL fee to $80. I just got an SP101 through LowPriceGuns.com. Their shop is Survival Arms in Bellevue. They only charged me $29.95 to receive the gun. That has got to be the best deal around if you order a gun from out of state.

$80 for a transfer is asinine. There are still some FFLs around that will transfer for $15-20.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top