JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had the same issue with a new Hornady .380 die, drove me crazy, so I bought another brand sizing die. I was told that it's normal and ok, but I didn't care ;)

Heck--I swapped out my Dillon sizing die because it didn't size down far enough
and went to a EGW U (undersize) 9mm sizing die. All my 9mm has that
coke bottle shape--around 20,000 a year. U die for sizing, Redding micrometer
seating, Lee factory crimp. 100% reliable beats pretty.

IMHO.....never mind about how the reloads looks. Post #16. In that example....they'll probably work.

Assuming, that you've done the steps correctly and adhered to the reloading data properly and as long as they chamber (do a plop test) you should more than likely be fine.

Chambers are generous.
45seatingpossibilitiesx.jpg
This example (picture) is with 45 ACP. But I trust that you get the idea of what is happening.

Then.....
I'm not saying that this will solve ALL of your problems.

Sometimes, it needs a little adjustment. And sometimes you might just have to re-think or start all over. Hopefully, with more experience and time you'll get it.

Know that....brass thickness can vary from brand to brand and lot# to lot#. So, that will/might also affect how things appear.

Aloha, Mark

I'm late to this thread and it may have been said already, if so I'm sorry but didn't see it.

The hourglass shape is not a problem at all, in fact it's a benefit. It's virtually impossible for bullet set back during chambering when brass is sized this way.

Last Edited:
I'm last to this thread and it may have been said already, if so I'm sorry but didn't see it.

The hourglass shape is not a problem at all, in fact it's a benefit. It's virtually impossible for bullet set back during chambering when brass is sized this way.
That's a really god point.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads