JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People need to stop using the term "short".... it's driving me batty, and this is not a good time for bats!!!

Flickering lights and burning out incandescent bulbs before their time can be an indication of serious wiring issues that often result in house/unit fires.... Please don't mess around with this... follow up with a licensed, qualified, professional electrician!!!

What? Then, my UNDERWARE rides up when I ride my bike. Will that work for you? Sheesh.

Huh?

No Brother, not "shorts" as in Bermuda, silly!!! "Short" as in everything that could ever go wrong in an electrical circuit is a "short"... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Most electrical problems are caused by either an "open" somewhere in the circuit, or a "bad connection" (high resistance), or a "faulty" switch, a "failing" circuit breaker, miswiring, or a "bad" panel (Federal Pacific and such).

Approved electrical systems are designed so that a "short", which results in excess current flow, blows the fuse, trips the breaker, or a ground fault tripping the GFI.

You made me mansplain.... sheesh!!! ;);)

My guess would be a neutral wire is loose. If a switch is loose, then it generally affects whatever it's turning off & on, but neutral wires are ganged up in a box and if the wire nut loosens up, it can make the whole circuit flicker.

Huh?

No Brother, not "shorts" as in Bermuda, silly!!! "Short" as in everything that could ever go wrong in an electrical circuit is a "short"... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Most electrical problems are caused by either an "open" somewhere in the circuit, or a "bad connection" (high resistance), or a "faulty" switch, a "failing" circuit breaker, miswiring, or a "bad" panel (Federal Pacific and such).

Approved electrical systems are designed so that a "short", which results in excess current flow, blows the fuse, trips the breaker, or a ground fault tripping the GFI.

You made me mansplain.... sheesh!!! ;);)

Well, I really could care less! :p

Bathroom fixtures can get rusty inside from the moisture that is much higher in bathrooms. I have a fixture in mine that has three bulbs and one of them started flickering, then it would only come on if I thumped or twisted it, and then it wouldn't at all. I am fairly sure it is the fixture and not the bulb. Eventually I will replace the fixture altogether.

Bathroom fixtures can get rusty inside from the moisture that is much higher in bathrooms. I have a fixture in mine that has three bulbs and one of them started flickering, then it would only come on if I thumped or twisted it, and then it wouldn't at all. I am fairly sure it is the fixture and not the bulb. Eventually I will replace the fixture altogether.

Yep,

But in this case, other lights in the circuit are blinking too... in your scenario, the problem would be contained to the immediate fixture. :)

Sounds like a loose connection. Common practice for lights to be wired 'downstream' of receptacles. Most likely suspect in residential
wiring is the 'stab lock' receptacle connection. The neutral or hot connection could be loose at the receptacle. If you remove or replace
a receptacle 'Pigtail" the connection to the receptacle as is done in commercial wiring. The current for the entire circuit downstream
will not depend on the receptacle 'stab lock' connections. Retired electrician.
1586526896507.png

Depending on how old the house is, plug circuits are separated from light circuits in bathroom and kitchens.
Yes if it was new in the last 10 years. General purpose receptacles are considered lighting circuits. Not a good practice
but common practice to have lights and plugs on the same circuit. Easy to check. Kill the circuit and see if any plugs go dead.

I had to replace one GFI outlet in the kitchen. The were two extra outlets that had insufficient voltage to run anything and it turned it was one of the GFI outlets. The kitchen has two GFIs.

I guess I should have mentioned that I have been dealing with AC for years. It was part of my job as a sound engineer. Dealing with single and three phase distros, wiring, etc used to scare the living daylights out f me, but after I learned more about it it became easy, and pretty straight forward. If I had not had this level of experience, I would not have felt comfortable doing a panel change. I would recommend that you DO use a qualified electrical installer. It is very dangerous. Can kill you.

Funny we should have this thread, as just last night ...

I got the timing down to when the Dryer would cycle -- it was in a state where it was waiting, and would run for a minute every so often ( sheets if you need to know)

I have been running LED lights for a while, so this was new.

I did have anew outlet wired in, but didn't think that one would be a part of either of these 2 circuits.

I'll get my buddy the electrician over and we'll run the house ...

The place that I'm now in (built in the mid-90's), had a strange problem...
.... Almost all (except the GFI's) of the wall receptacles were so worn out that they would not hold a plug. Plug something in and the plug would simply fall out! Some were so loose that even if you held the plug in the socket they wouldn't work! (the attached garage too!)
All's well now because I replaced every receptacle in the house/garage, but geeze, how could every receptacle be so worn out?

They were all those crappy "push-in" terminals too, so that was corrected as well.

The place that I'm now in (built in the mid-90's), had a strange problem...
.... Almost all (except the GFI's) of the wall receptacles were so worn out that they would not hold a plug. Plug something in and the plug would simply fall out! Some were so loose that even if you held the plug in the socket they wouldn't work! (the attached garage too!)
All's well now because I replaced every receptacle in the house/garage, but geeze, how could every receptacle be so worn out?

They were all those crappy "push-in" terminals too, so that was corrected as well.
Maybe they were cheap to begin with? I'm seeing some fail in my place. Probably going to just replace them all. After all, they are dangerous even before they get that loose.

Probably going to just replace them all. After all, they are dangerous even before they get that loose.
Just make sure to test to see of the circuit has been de-energized first!
Here is a simple tutorial:

Boy_knife_socket.jpg

Last Edited:
solar activity, , have you seen what has been going on with the magnetopause over the last few days? That is what is causing the substations to catch fire.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads