JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Published online by WaPo today, despite being labeled: "Not For Public Distribution"

Read the white paper on firearms regulations

Options to reduce or modify firearms regulation.

There's some good stuff in here folks, like dropping the NFA req for suppressors, Relaxing the "sporting purpose" rules and allowing more imports.

And,... Wait for it,...

RE-IMPORTING CERTAIN C&R ELIGIBLE BATTLE RIFLES LIKE M1 GARANDS AND CARBINES!!! WOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!

I'd copy and paste some highlights, but the format won't allow it. Ya gotta click the link.

AWR Hawkins over at Breitbart posted the suppressor stuff here:
ATF: Continuing Firearms Regulation of Suppressors is 'Archaic' - Breitbart

You think any of the ATF are "gun people"? I called them to have some forms sent over, and the guy who answered sounded like he was fresh off the set of Jersey Shore. Not that his accent means he is not a gun guy, but I never associated the Guido accent with the gun culture.

You think any of the ATF are "gun people"? I called them to have some forms sent over, and the guy who answered sounded like he was fresh off the set of Jersey Shore. Not that his accent means he is not a gun guy, but I never associated the Guido accent with the gun culture.

Nah, the accents are of G-Men genality, they are probably just low-level paper pushers....:eek::eek::eek:

I really like what I read in section 8 (silencers - I will use their terminology here). My understanding is they want to define what part/parts constitute a silencer similar to how the receiver constitutes a firearm.

Ideally, they would define a silencer as the part which interfaces with the muzzle (similar to the SilencerCo Ospery). The "receiver" of the suppressor could then be used as a host for other parts - think AR-15. I imagine (dream) that you could have true multi-caliber support by simply buying a new baffle stack off the shelf. Or you could buy a lightweight baffle stack, tube, and end cap made of titanium or similar exotic metal/composite. Or you could easily change the length of the silencer by buying a new tube and baffle stack. Or what about different baffle designs that improve tone/performance that will constantly evolve as more and more companies manufacture them.

I'd like them to consider the above idea of having a silencer defined as the "receiver". Can we contact our congressman or BATFE about this? Since this is a white paper, I'm not sure what we can do to help this along.

OOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr.........

This could be grandstanding in order to separate themselves from the prior/current "doctrine" and survive not being purged or passed over for promotion within the ranks by the new executive administration that's about to take full-hold of the reins.

o_O

Last Edited:
I'm sitting back and eating popcorn. I came to close to the hype of buying a can last December. Actually walked into a shop with 1200 in cash.

Thank goodness I didn't.

This and other things said in this direction by this admin has me thinking I made a good choice. I can wait.

I'll admit I kind of like seeing the struggle these suppressor companies are facing. Not to be a butt, but I'm kind of happy to see suppressor companies in a pinch. They have over priced aluminum, steel, and titanium tubing for too long. "But but but R&D is expensive" I call bs. No tube of titanium or steel or aluminum with some baffles inside should ever cost 1000 dollars or more. It shouldn't cost any more than a maglight flash light does.

I'm sure I'll offend some suppressor owners with that statement!

Im also glad to see somehow telling them they can't make law with their determination letters. Viva la shouldering some Sig braces!!!

I'm sitting back and eating popcorn. I came to close to the hype of buying a can last December. Actually walked into a shop with 1200 in cash.

Thank goodness I didn't.

This and other things said in this direction by this admin has me thinking I made a good choice. I can wait.

I'll admit I kind of like seeing the struggle these suppressor companies are facing. Not to be a butt, but I'm kind of happy to see suppressor companies in a pinch. They have over priced aluminum, steel, and titanium tubing for too long. "But but but R&D is expensive" I call bs. No tube of titanium or steel or aluminum with some baffles inside should ever cost 1000 dollars or more. It shouldn't cost any more than a maglight flash light does.

I'm sure I'll offend some suppressor owners with that statement!

Im also glad to see somehow telling them they can't make law with their determination letters. Viva la shouldering some Sig braces!!!

Not sure I could disagree more...

As a metal fab guy with some machining experience knowing what it takes to produce stuff in exotic materials in relatively small quantities I can unequivocally say the prices for suppressers is not out of line.

I also disagree that you made the right call buy not buying one. I bought 5 last year. I have all of them now and I'll be out playing with them every weekend while you wait a year or two to see what happens?

Even if you save the $200 stamp I think I got the better deal.

Not sure I could disagree more...

As a metal fab guy with some machining experience knowing what it takes to produce stuff in exotic materials in relatively small quantities I can unequivocally say the prices for suppressers is not out of line.

I also disagree that you made the right call buy not buying one. I bought 5 last year. I have all of them now and I'll be out playing with them every weekend while you wait a year or two to see what happens?

Even if you save the $200 stamp I think I got the better deal.
Other than titanium, how is steel and aluminum exotic?

I know there is one or two other metals out there being used to reduce weight. That might be more expensive. I inquiry to how Chinese manufacturing can turn out titanium products for fractions of what is charged in the US?

I imagine you enjoy yours. I'm a little jealous at your ability to buy such expensive things, but I'm just not into the hype at the price.

What if the election went the other way and she stopped all sales of suppressors.
Tough cookies if you weren't grandfathered in with some.

Other than titanium, how is steel and aluminum exotic?

I know there is one or two other metals out there being used to reduce weight. That might be more expensive. I inquiry to how Chinese manufacturing can turn out titanium products for fractions of what is charged in the US?

I imagine you enjoy yours. I'm a little jealous at your ability to buy such expensive things, but I'm just not into the hype at the price.
Most rifle cans use things like Inconel, Monel, Stellite and yes Titanium. Materials that are very hard to machine and cost huge amounts of money for raw stock (10-100 times as much as steel)

Simple aluminum.22 cans are available for as little as $99, once you get up into rifle calibers steel and aluminum just don't cut it.

Honestly people, I'll believe it when I see it...Just like the Bush (Clinton) AWB...when it ACTUALLY happens THEN, and only THEN, I will rejoice.....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top