Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New AR15... is this normal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Decidion, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Decidion

Decidion Washington county, Oregon Member

I was looking at a new AR15, and I noticed inside the upper, just below the channel the charging handle rides in, there are some light gouges or abrasions that have completely worn off the finishing. This is supposed to be a brand new, never fired rifle and I was wondering if this is normal or typical and to be expected...

What do you guys think?

2. Humpyslayer

Humpyslayer Kent Member

that don't look right

3. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

absolutly not normal i have uppers with thousands of rounds through them and none of them look like that contact the dealer and demand a exchange

4. MilesTeg

MilesTeg Troutdale, OR Active Member

That's a new one. What's the brand?

5. Decidion

Decidion Washington county, Oregon Member

I don't really want to give any bad will towards the manufacturer (I have read nothing but good comments/reviews of them to date)... it just may be one bad upper. It happens occasionally in mass production.

But thanks for the replies... I'll contact them in the morning :)

6. Taurus 617 CCW

Taurus 617 CCW Northern Idaho Member

It looks to me like rough machining marks. Those should have been polished out before metal treatment. Keep us posted on what happens when you get a hold of the manufacturer.

7. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

How does it shoot?
    Does the cosmetic internal "Blem" affect the function of the rifle?

I don't think I have seen that exact situation, but the internal parts of an AR will show wear.

Looks almost like the manufacturer used a dremel to remove a burr in the charging handle slot. This wouldn't cause me any concern.

If the gun works, I wouldn't worry about it.

8. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Looks like some kind of deburring mark, machining is done before parts are sent off for hard anodizing. It's also possible the bolt/carrier had a burr or some metal chips on them during final assembly, but even vulcan isn't so sloppy as to insert a part with burrs or metal chips on them.