JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1698279168850.png

Aloha, Mark

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups in Oregon and Washington. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

I am looking for an AR 15 or something like it. I mainly want it for home safety, does anyone have anything similar to this? What is the usual price? How long does a background check take? So many questions.... Thanks for your input!

I am looking for an AR 15 or something like it. I mainly want it for home safety, does anyone have anything similar to this? What is the usual price? How long does a background check take? So many questions.... Thanks for your input!
This posting was moved from another members handgun ad, to here.

Because this is a discussion thread, whereas classified ad listings are not for general discussion.

Your statement above leaves a lot to unpack. It might be helpful for others to help you, if you mention your firearms experience (none is fine). However, maybe you do have some.

Also what State are you an actual resident of, no need to get specific insofar as City/town. Plus are you over 18 or 21 years old, again no need to get specific.

However age, State & legal status matter for folks whom may wish to give you guidance.

This posting was moved from another members handgun ad, to here.

Because this is a discussion thread, whereas classified ad listings are not for general discussion.

Your statement above leaves a lot to unpack. It might be helpful for others to help you, if you mention your firearms experience (none is fine). However, maybe you do have some.

Also what State are you an actual resident of, no need to get specific insofar as City/town. Plus are you over 18 or 21 years old, again no need to get specific.

However age, State & legal status matter for folks whom may wish to give you guidance.
I have very little firearms experience but because of the state of things in our country, it has pushed me to want to learn. I live in Oregon and I realize the background check portion takes quite a bit of time. Anyway, all advice is appreciated. Thank you

Not a "common" choice for home but certainly workable. Price? They can be had for around $600 to several K depending on what you want. Are you in OR? WA we can not buy them anymore sadly.

The very best part of your introduction here is the willingness to learn (it is also one of the best indicators of better-than-average intelligence).

You'll find lots of advice being offered and most of it pretty good, but beware of such advice that comes with no accompanying support of actual experience. Easy to spot from a mile away, especially when it involves issues of self-defense. The most vociferous "experts" may well have absolutely NO experience killing anything with a firearm (let alone a motivated naked ape).

That is the brutally honest goal of self defense with a gun, though most avoid the direct reference.

While an AR15 may be where you end up, it should NOT be where you start. Toward your admirable willingness to learn, there are far better choices and far more logical reasons toward the goal of learning.

A nice, simple .22 rifle will serve as your gentle, forgiving, precise and fun teacher. You will learn more and faster because you will enjoy it. It is significantly cheaper (you will shoot it more with no obstacle of expense). Avoid a semi-automatic, choose a bolt-action or lever, or pump, or the best teacher on the planet: a single shot.

It will grant you the opportunity and actually assist in the learning of basic functions and operations of a firearm, safety procedures, care and maintenance, and marksmanship. You'll end up in a very short time period being a better shot and knowing more about guns than ANYONE who started with an AR15.

A nice new one can be had for less than $400. A REALLY nice used one for less (and it will probably be prettier: life is too short to shoot an ugly gun). Shop for one that is as kind to your eye as your favorite picture on the wall at home. It will become not only your teacher, but your good-looking friend.

With the larger portion of a century messing with guns, I come here to learn too. Welcome, fellow student.

Last Edited:
I would encourage you to look up your nearest chapter of The Well Armed Woman. It's a female specific group that teaches firearms safety and marksmanship. Great bunch of ladies (real ones!) that encourage, support, and educate each other.

The background check portion doesn't (currently) take much time.

There is an Oregon law (measure 114) which has passed, however is in limbo at the moment. If this law should proceed as is, then "the background" check portion of firearms purchase will be markedly challenging (time & expense) for everyone.

Understanding the safety & responsibility of firearms ownership may take time, depending upon you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top