JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Its safe to say I was overthinking things a little bit. I appreciate all the responses. Going to experiment with a few other carry positions before settling on the one I feel most comfortable with.

Last Edited:
No class is going to help you there. That is an irrational fear if you are using a good quality holster that fits your pistol correctly. I would carry without one in the chamber until you get over it. The only real issue would be if your pistol is not fit snugly enough into the holster.

That has a grip safety as well correct? If so you are really overthinking it.........IMO.

No class is going to help you there. That is an irrational fear if you are using a good quality holster that fits your pistol correctly. I would carry without one in the chamber until you get over it. The only real issue would be if your pistol is not fit snugly enough into the holster.

That has a grip safety as well correct? If so you are really overthinking it.........IMO.

Yes it does have a grip safety. And I agree it is a little irrational. I'm hoping it is just since I'm new to carrying and will pass. I understand the importance of carrying with a round chambered, which is why I'm looking to advice. Thanks for the response.

I felt the same way even while carrying in the 4 o'clock position with an LC9S pro. To me that gun has too light of a trigger for defenseive use and the fully cocked striker seems less that ideal to me. So I switched to my SR9C that has a heavyer trigger and an external safety and have no problem with a loaded chamber.

With CC, what you are comfortable with matters most. I've put many hundreds of rounds through my sr9. With the lc9, the sear spring broke on its second magazine and had to go back to the factory. I've never regained my faith in it. That gun is now on the to sell list.

Thanks for the tips. The xds is a solid gun as far as safety is concerned from the research I have done. It's definitly a psychological hurdle for me. I never want to be in a situation where I need my gun and have to depend on reliably chambering a cartridge under pressure. I can see countless ways that could go badly. May just bite the bullet and chamber and get over it. And if that doesn't do it switch to a gun with a manual external safety.

dont appendix carry? I would be nervous too have a loaded pistol pointed at my junk and femoral artery all day.

I haven't experimented too much with other carry methods purely because I don't have the money to buy more holsters to try. I find appendix carry extremely comfortable though both walking around and sitting down driving. Other carry methods definitely may be an option. What's your favorite position to carry and what type of holster do you use?

I haven't experimented too much with other carry methods purely because I don't have the money to buy more holsters to try. I find appendix carry extremely comfortable though both walking around and sitting down driving. Other carry methods definitely may be an option. What's your favorite position to carry and what type of holster do you use?

I carry a shield in a N8 squared tactical holster at around the 3:30-4:00 pending on the pants/shorts I am wearing. I like it because I do not need to take my gun out of the holster to put the holster on and off.

dont appendix carry? I would be nervous too have a loaded pistol pointed at my junk and femoral artery all day.

Also being able to conceal well is very important to me. It's technically legal for me to carry while on the clock at work but I do not think it would go over well if people found out I did. So concealability and not printing is important for me. Open to all advice thanks.

I carry a shield in a N8 squared tactical holster at around the 3:30-4:00 pending on the pants/shorts I am wearing. I like it because I do not need to take my gun out of the holster to put the holster on and off.

I will look into that and check out those holsters. Not having to take out the gun to remove and put on holster would definitely be a plus. Thanks again

Carry the XDS with confidence. No way the grip and trigger can both be completely pressed and cause an ND.

Glocks are another story, especially with crummy holsters. Leather can warp and if you don't pay close enough attention you can cause it to go off.

But the XDS is a very safe system.
Had I not invested in my current CC pistol(s) the XDS would have been my next choice.

Get some snap caps and put it through the ringer. Stand up, sit down, do draws.. if it goes off during that then you know something is amiss. But for the most part the statistical probability of an XDS experiencing an ND is slim to none, too many perfect conditions have to align just right before you can set it off.

A good sturdy holster that fully covers the trigger/trigger guard and retains the firearm is always necessary.

With a good quality holster and belt, it's just a matter of getting comfortable with daily carry. We've all had to take these first steps. Now I feel underdressed if I leave home without it. Been a daily carrier for about 30 years with never an issue.

Time will settle you down... Next issue will be concerns of others noticing you are carrying... Trust me, most wont, their too busy on their smart phones...

Hello I just got my concealed handgun license less than a week ago and have been carrying a Springfield Xds appendix iwb ever since. I have been around firearms and hunted my entire life, so I know how to treat guns respectfully and have good trigger discipline and habits. I am brand new to concealed carry though. I have a quality kydex holster. So far I have not carried with a round chambered. The idea of the gun pointed at my thigh with a round chambered makes me very uncomfortable. I know I can do so safely most of the time but I worry a single lapse in my judgement or moment of carelessness will have very serious consequences for either myself or others. Or when I am sitting down and twisting around such as in the car something will somehow snag that trigger. I know these fears may be a little irratonal but I can not shake the feelings to allow myself to chamber a round yet and not feel like at any given moment I'm going to blow a whole through my femoral artery and bleed out.

Are there any local classes that teach appendix carry specifically that can maybe help me get over my fear and build confidence? Should I maybe switch to a DA/SA gun in order to feel more comfortable? The idea of a DA/SA I know would make me feel better but I would rather not go out and by another gun at the moment unless it's the best option. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Lotta words. I'd pray to the Jesus.

Carry the XDS with confidence. No way the grip and trigger can both be completely pressed and cause an ND.

Glocks are another story, especially with crummy holsters. Leather can warp and if you don't pay close enough attention you can cause it to go off.

But the XDS is a very safe system.
Had I not invested in my current CC pistol(s) the XDS would have been my next choice.

Get some snap caps and put it through the ringer. Stand up, sit down, do draws.. if it goes off during that then you know something is amiss. But for the most part the statistical probability of an XDS experiencing an ND is slim to none, too many perfect conditions have to align just right before you can set it off.
Thanks, you are absolutely right. Will continue to practice and build up my confidence.

A good sturdy holster that fully covers the trigger/trigger guard and retains the firearm is always necessary.

With a good quality holster and belt, it's just a matter of getting comfortable with daily carry. We've all had to take these first steps. Now I feel underdressed if I leave home without it. Been a daily carrier for about 30 years with never an issue.

Time will settle you down... Next issue will be concerns of others noticing you are carrying... Trust me, most wont, their too busy on their smart phones...
One thing I have noticed when looking at kydex holsters from different manufacturers is that the kydex is cut so it is leaving a small gap at the back of the trigger guard you can see through. Many of them I have looked at have this issue. Is this a problem or should I be looking for something with 100 percent coverage of that trigger guard?

Maybe try a purse first. Maybe try visualizing using a purse first.
Not trying to be a butt here and dint read the whole thread but baby-steps.

Check out different holsters. Pay attention to ones with full sweat guards and ones without. Find what works better for you. Maybe look at the Raven Eidolon holster. It's got some nifty features a lot of other holsters are starting to emulate. I like the rubber pad that pushes the bottom of the holster away from the body. If I'm going to be using the holster at 3 or 4 o'clock I remove the rubber pad and its still awesome.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top