JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sweet, but....expensive!!

The NEMESIS suit consists of a jacket, pants, hood and face shield, which is worn as an over garment and mimics leafs.

"Our goal is to actually make the system basically match the clutter of what you see in the environment," John Holcombe, the head product development for Gore's government division, told National Defense Magazine.

"You actually want some hot spots, some cold spots. You want it to look non-human," said Holcombe. "We're trying to reflect the energy from the environment and scatter it."

Other types of thermal camouflage conceal heat by preventing heat from escaping through a layer of insulation, which can make the wearer extremely hot.

The NEMESIS turkey suit currently costs $2,900, but is expected to cost less as production ramps up.

I have wondered if the cheap gardening thermal blankets could be used to make a home made suit

There is a mil spec blanket that is very effective but difficult to obtain

Strikes me there are two solid options here...

1) hide behind something thicker and cooler than you (got trees?)
2) operate in an environment that's the same temperature as your body (ugh)

In most of the times I've been able to mess around with thermal imagers, bare skin and your head are really the only parts that stick out, even basic clothing does a decent job of controlling heat output fairly well. It strikes me that a cloak even of fairly thin material could hide you decently from FIR (far-infrared) imagers.

Strikes me there are two solid options here...

1) hide behind something thicker and cooler than you (got trees?)
2) operate in an environment that's the same temperature as your body (ugh)

In most of the times I've been able to mess around with thermal imagers, bare skin and your head are really the only parts that stick out, even basic clothing does a decent job of controlling heat output fairly well. It strikes me that a cloak even of fairly thin material could hide you decently from FIR (far-infrared) imagers.

No not from a flir.
It detects 1/2 deg change and I guarantee it will make you look like a beacon light. Having a dense loose material that can be held close to ambiant and no openings and you can somewhat hide. Dense strands on a ghillie can do that somewhat. I have had extensive experience with IR, Flir (brand) in particular and it is nearly impossible to hide from it. It is sensitive enough to lock onto a jackrabbit from 2 1/2 miles and you can follow a truck down the free way and tell by the tracks left if it is overloaded. Even footprints after someone has walked through a yard are visible for several seconds. That all is possible with just the safire system that you see on the news and police choppers.
They also have a 24x daylight ccd imager in them.

Ah-nold just used mud. Much cheaper!

Works as long as thick enough for about 5 or 6 min, until body heat conducts into it.
A thermal suit that would maintain ambiant temperature is all that would be 100%, and that is not practical or within most people's financial ability.
War is no longer fun..... (figuratively speaking) Most just do not comprehend just how sensitive a new FLIR truly is. They are the One thing to truly fear in combat if in the adversaries hands. They can also be integrated into a computerized and stabilized weapons system that DOES NOT MISS.

Works as long as thick enough for about 5 or 6 min, until body heat conducts into it.
A thermal suit that would maintain ambiant temperature is all that would be 100%, and that is not practical or within most people's financial ability.
War is no longer fun..... (figuratively speaking) Most just do not comprehend just how sensitive a new FLIR truly is. They are the One thing to truly fear in combat if in the adversaries hands. They can also be integrated into a computerized and stabilized weapons system that DOES NOT MISS.

I suppose this technology is why we are having such an easy time in Afganistan. :huh:

Not that I would want someone using this technology to hunt me down. :s0131:

I suppose this technology is why we are having such an easy time in Afganistan. :huh:

Not that I would want someone using this technology to hunt me down. :s0131:

You must remember, that is exactly what they will use. If you hear or see them, they see you regardless of how you hide, unless you go under ground. Even then dont be near the entrance, it sees heat.

Not to be terribly tautological, but asymmetrical warfare is asymmetrical warfare, however this does not mean that there is no counter to any technology. Again, the US has the ability to kill everyone in iraq/afghanistan many times over, yet now the iraqi army is fighting a sunni insurgency using essentially the same equipment we left them, and we (the US) are still fighting an insurgency in afghanistan. It seems pretty clear to me that FLIR, for all the benefits it gives us against conventional military forces is only about 10% as effective against insurgents.

Not to be terribly tautological, but asymmetrical warfare is asymmetrical warfare, however this does not mean that there is no counter to any technology. Again, the US has the ability to kill everyone in iraq/afghanistan many times over, yet now the iraqi army is fighting a sunni insurgency using essentially the same equipment we left them, and we (the US) are still fighting an insurgency in afghanistan. It seems pretty clear to me that FLIR, for all the benefits it gives us against conventional military forces is only about 10% as effective against insurgents.

They have a nation of caves to hide in there too.
IR is just damned hard to defeat.
The US military owns the night though. There it is a good thing. Here not so good.

"Leafs?" I've never heard of Raven, but who doesn't know how to pluralize "leaf?"

Heat is heat: it's energy, which means it can't be destroyed, only hidden. The overall heat radiated by you in your $2900 getup is the same as it is when you're standing there in your birthday suit. At least it is as soon as you've reached equilibrium with your environs.

Like the article says, it breaks up the silhouette of the wearer, rather than smothering the heat with insulation. It sounds like a good idea, and one that I might be able to mimic with a little ingenuity.

Cascadia is about the perfect place to escape IR detection, between all the trees and our rainy, foggy weather. You just have to be smart and hunker down, not making it too easy for your enemies. I can imagine that a plain old polyethylene sheet carried on a cool outer pocket could be deployed in a pinch to impart some temporary detection protection. Just keep a layer of circulating air between you and your cover sheet.

The old saw goes like this: "You cool what you can't hide, and you hide what you can't cool."

Actually, that reminds me, I remember there was some material we were messing around with that despite being physically clear, it was almost completely opaque to IR. I don't remember if it was PE or not... Oh der it's glass...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure that clear LDPE sheeting is mostly IR opaque, but then it depends on exactly which bands we're talking about.

I have videos showing one man trying to hide behind a dumpster with about a half ton of cardboard, plastic, trash and anything else he could hide under.
Every crack in that pile showed beams of heat light shining out like beacon i
lights. It was humorous.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews