JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seriously, the idea of burying my supplies makes no more sense than a Pirates of the Caribbean plot. Yo ho ho and a bottle of dead man's rum or something. Why would pirates bury treasure? Why would anyone? If you need it, you're not going to have time to dig it up. How am I going to rotate my supplies if they're buried under hundreds of pounds of gravel?

The root cellar idea has some practical application, but mechanical cold storage can be made more reliable than that. And in the woods, I wouldn't be confident a bear wouldn't dig it up, if I'm not constantly around. Not good for an emregncy cache, that. This kind of storage would be much better in a real cellar where there's more security around it.

The modern urban house is not defensible by any rational measure. If people really want to get in and are not afraid that you will call the police, they will get in. But this scenario is pretty far out. There are easier targets. Just don't be the easiest one in your area.

If you have the wherewithal, get out of the city. Having a place to go is probably the most important thing, if it gets bad enough that you are not secure in your home, it's bad enough to not stay in your home. Even if the place you go is simply doubling up with another family locally so that there is always someone home to deter burglary. Even if it's just making sure you and your neighbour watch each other's place.

Be practical. As I recently mentioned on an email thread with some like-minded individuals: Don't get hung up on camouflage and MREs. Living well rarely involves military uniforms. Too much of what passes for survivalist chic isn't really going to help much in a real-life emergency. I'm saying this as a person who sells both camouflage TA-50 items and MREs at my shop. My consistent advice for my customers is that MREs are good for a few days emergency at most. Longer than that they are too bulky, too expensive, and not practical for any group with less logistical support than Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

IMO you are searching for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist even if SHTF. I have enough dry goods to live for a long time. I live on 5 acres and almost always carry. That being said, it would be very easy for someone to kill me from distance and help themselves.

If things get to the point where an overwhelming number of people are going to invade my property, and my food stores are in jeopardy, that's my clue to bug out. I will defend my home - up to a point. I would not risk my families lives or freedoms when the ATF or other group wants to take over. We have a giant food store walking around in the wilderness, with plenty of fresh water most of the year. People can have my stored food, I'll bug out and keep my life. After all, I wouldn't be able to use it, nor protect it, if I'm dead.

Don't own anything you can't walk away from in 3 minutes.

Fair enough. I'm not trying to denigrate anyone's opinions, but I do think there is validity in discussing what kind of thought process one is using- in terms of what to prepare for and how. Lots of focus on tactics and not enough on strategy, and even less on logistics.

You probably know the saying: amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top