JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why digicam? The Army is going back to non-digital camo. They're calling it "multi-cam" now, and it's basically the same colours as the BDU, slighly muted with more olive. The Brit uniforms and our new multi-cam are hard to tell apart at a distance. MArines are the only ones committing to sticking with the MARPAT desert digi-cam, and that's only because they want to be different.

Digital camo works better against digitally-enhanced nightvision devices, but not as well against the naked eye. The ACU pattern and colours don't work well outside of urban environments. Same with the USAF pattern (they're getting rid of it in fasvour of multi-cam also.)

You could probably just tie-dye some denim with black, brown, and olive dye for a forest pattern and get the same effect.

Good points, I did not know hte army was going away from the ACU, I the digital cam I was wanting to buy is the woodland MARPAT. I know first hand depending on the situation the the old army BDU was better than the ACU in some wooded terrain, I did an army exercise 5 yrs ago where some of us were wearing ACU and some wearing BDU, when people were laying in different types of brush against different soil or background colors they blended differently, sometime a person almost invisible then they would move 50 feet and could easily seen, this happen with both patterns, I will check out the new multi cam.

Personally I never thought the ACU was the proper color wooded terrain, everything I read said it was more of a multi-purpose camo as stated above, urban, night and woods.

I personally have many camo pattern clothes and have done experiments with friends in different terrain, different times of the year, I have even worn desert caamies in northern mid-west winters without snow in swampy area's I completely disappeared from view sitting 5 feet into the brush from someone, it was funny to see their reaction.

I know its off-topic, BUT....

I'm an 8-yr. Army vet (been out since '93 so I'm "vintage"), and when I saw the ACU pattern come out... I just shook my head in disbelief! Although the new pocket arrangements and "styling" is pretty good, that faded looking crap sucked from the "git-go" compared to the old Woodland patterned BDU. It only took how many millions of dollars and "man"-hours in the testing and proving, then investing in the tool-up and distribution throughout the supply chains to only then go... "uh, these suck"?

IMHO the Multi-Cam is the best all around pattern, and at this time the Army has authorized its general issue and use in the Afganistan Theater of Operations only. The Woodland MarPat is 2nd to the old Woodland pattern for said reasons above, but better than the ACU. If you're "doing it right", your BDU/ACU (whatever acronym you want) should be well coated/stained with the local/native dirt anyway so as to blend in pretty good.

:s0155:

The fabric the United States Army uses is the ACU Universal Camouflage pattern in a 60 inch wide 500 Denier Nylon Cordura fabric. This fabric has Durable Water Repellent finish with a fire retardant coating on the back of the fabric. You can purchase the actual fabric as slightly irregulars online at Magna Fabrics for only $1.49 a yard plus shipping. There is an online store at Welcome to Magna Fabrics which lists the various lengths available. Free samples are available be request.
(As a point disclosure this reply to the thread is posted by the owner of Magna Fabrics).

The fabric the United States Army uses is the ACU Universal Camouflage pattern in a 60 inch wide 500 Denier Nylon Cordura fabric. This fabric has Durable Water Repellent finish with a fire retardant coating on the back of the fabric. You can purchase the actual fabric as slightly irregulars online at Magna Fabrics for only $1.49 a yard plus shipping. There is an online store at Welcome to Magna Fabrics which lists the various lengths available. Free samples are available be request.
(As a point disclosure this reply to the thread is posted by the owner of Magna Fabrics).

WOW, Thanks, I had put this project on hold with all of Mylar bagging of stuff I have been doing from breaking of food staples. I will check it out, I would really like to get multi cam

WOW, Thanks, I had put this project on hold with all of Mylar bagging of stuff I have been doing from breaking of food staples. I will check it out, I would really like to get multi cam
Dear Knuckle Head
If you email me with your mailing address to [email protected] I will email you a free sample.
We only offer the ACU Universal pattern. If you require MultiCam you should contact Duro Industries, however I do not think they have the appropriate fabric in the multicam and if they do the price will probably be signfigantly higher than our price of only $1.49 a yard

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top