JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Start with hunting rabbits. This will teach you how to spot game. Sometimes only the rabbits eye will give away it's location. I grew up in the city and did not get to hunt until I was away at college. I used snowshoes since the snow in the woods was up to five feet deep. The snowshoe hares were of course , mostly white.

Get an adult .22 or .22 wmr with a proper scope. I have a CZ with a Leupold 3-9x33 efr in Talley rings. A good sporter that I have used in the past to shoot out to 220 yards at the range. A good .22 will be with you a life time so skip the junkers.

A used hunting rifle is fine. The little deer here only need a light rifle , as the distances are generally not far. Learning to use a scope is crucial. A scope can help you discern what shot to take when the view is crowded with tree branches or other deer that are not shootable.

A rifle sling , good boots, compass, some knives, and at times, a packboard. Good Luck.

I wish I could. Waiting list is closed until it gets down to less than a year. Most of this year, the website said 2 years waiting. It just changed to three years waiting in the last month. I am beginning to think, Ill have retired and moved to Idaho before I even get on the waiting list. :) - and thanks - Cascade Sporting Club is the one I was thinking about but couldn't remember :)
There is a fairly "new" indoor range in Camas called. "Safe fire." There is also an outdoor range in Clark County called "English Pit."

Varmint hunting with your sporter. Something I did before I had dedicated rifles. If you can hit a running coyote range time is less challenging. Range time helps to tune your loads.

There is a fairly "new" indoor range in Camas called. "Safe fire." There is also an outdoor range in Clark County called "English Pit."

Been to Safe Fire and love it but its expensive. Plus for rifle, I want more than 40 yards. Got a free range pass to the pit, gonna check that out over the holidays.

But ultimately, I want to get into a club, especially if its CMP affiliated. My 24 year old wants to get into Military style surplus rifle matches with the Garand or our M-39's.

Been to Safe Fire and love it but its expensive. Plus for rifle, I want more than 40 yards. Got a free range pass to the pit, gonna check that out over the holidays.

But ultimately, I want to get into a club, especially if its CMP affiliated. My 24 year old wants to get into Military style surplus rifle matches with the Garand or our M-39's.

Tri County Gun Club. They are also CMP affiliated.
Joining the Club | Tri-County Gun Club ;)

It's called a pit for a reason:(:rolleyes:

So many occasional and new shooters there I never felt super safe but I've heard it's gotten a little better under new management.

The steep hill also makes for a pain if you have bad knees or more gear then you can carry in one trip comfortably.

I'd always drive further for a better place until I got a range membership

I'm a member of Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. It's a bit of a drive from the Vancouver area, but not that much farther than getting to the decent gravel pits available up in the forests and you don't deal with trash and crazy nuts on the firing lines. You don't beat up your vehicle on gravel roads either.

DRRC has membership openings right now, is CMP affiliated and has a number of fun shoots that would be perfect for a new shooter learning the ropes. I'm thinking of the Garand Clinics I already mentioned as well as the Rimfire Challenge and the new Rimfire 2-gun matches. They also have pistol classes for new shooters.

I used to be a member of Clark Rifles a number of years ago, it's a great little range, but as has been mentioned already membership has been closed off for a long time. I've been trying to get back in for 4 years now and can't even get a response to my queries, either by email or post, which is why I joined DRRC a couple of years ago. I'll keep trying at Clark, but I must have really pissed off somebody with a very long memory! :p

Wolverton Mountain Gun Club has a speed steel practice the first Saturday of each month, these are open to the public. If you are totally new to shooting I'd skip this for a bit, at least until you get some basic training and practice but then it's a great group of folks and a good place that has a fun, low-key event.

I can't remember if already stated in this thread … what firearms do you presently have, or have access to?

Last Edited:
Tri County is awesome!

I've been there a few times, but not when it's been busy.

1576793798917.png

I'm a member of Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. It's a bit of a drive from the Vancouver area, but not that much farther than getting to the decent gravel pits available up in the forests and you don't deal with trash and crazy nuts on the firing lines. You don't beat up your vehicle on gravel roads either.

DRRC has membership openings right now, is CMP affiliated and has a number of fun shoots that would be perfect for a new shooter learning the ropes. I'm thinking of the Garand Clinics I already mentioned as well as the Rimfire Challenge and the new Rimfire 2-gun matches. They also have pistol classes for new shooters.

I used to be a member of Clark Rifles a number of years ago, it's a great little range, but as has been mentioned already membership has been closed off for a long time. I've been trying to get back in for 4 years now and can't even get a response to my queries, either by email or post, which is why I joined DRRC a couple of years ago. I'll keep trying at Clark, but I must have really pissed off somebody with a very long memory! :p

Wolverton Mountain Gun Club has a speed steel practice the first Saturday of each month, these are open to the public. If you are totally new to shooting I'd skip this for a bit, at least until you get some basic training and practice but then it's a great group of folks and a good place that has a fun, low-key event.

I can't remember if already stated in this thread … what firearms do you presently have, or have access to?
I have zero firearms, I have 3 loose offers to take me out for some practice, nothing confirmed.

I very carefully mentioned trying to learn to shoot with a couple guys at work and turns out they both have firearms. I've talked with these guys off and on at work for 5 years and it never came up.

Is it just me or is there a weird sense in pop culture and society that you're supposed to feel ashamed of owning a gun?

I brought it up and both these guys lit up like a light bulb being turned on.
We have yet another loose plan to go out and shoot so I can get my first hands on practice/intro. I think they said SKS, 1911 Pistol, .357 Revolver, and a few assorted 9mm Pistols.

Fingers crossed I'll get my shot at shooting. Soon? Eventually? Busy time holidays for everyone so I'll be patient.

@Kristopher Kam.

I just reviewed this thread and see you have no firearms. I'm not sure but I think the gang that runs Appleseed at Douglas Ridge has loaner rifles available. Forum member @Kimber Custom would know for sure and now that I tagged him in this thread he will likely see it and respond.

After Christmas I'll have time opening up and would be happy to take you out and give you an introduction. I have a bit of firearms training in my background so it's something I've done a lot and enjoy doing.

I'll PM you to set up details.

In the meantime, if you happen to get a wild itch with all the sales going on, you would be hard pressed to do better than getting a Ruger 10/22 as a starter rifle. Fun to shoot, low cost to buy and operate, can be used in Appleseed, and very easy to work on and make better, which there are guys here that would help with that too
... me included.

Is it just me or is there a weird sense in pop culture and society that you're supposed to feel ashamed of owning a gun?

This is a modern phenomena. It didn't used to be that way... especially after the world wars and returning heros. And during times when supper was put on the table with firearms. But thanks to University profs and other radical influences, America is under threat of disarming it's citizens thru various means... prepping public opinion IMO is part of that effort. #RESIST

I would Donate a box of 22lr 550 rds to Kimber Custom if he chooses to give instruction

He just lives down the street

Last Edited:
Yes, Appleseed would be a great place to start - next currently scheduled event is Feb 22/23. Loaner rifles are available. If you don't want to wait that long I'm available for private instruction; feel free to PM me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top