JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I live just over the water to the West of Belgium, so I'm not in any position to offer either help or advice.

But what I CAN offer you in encouragement, or if you'd rather have it in French, encouragement.

The great thing about the PNW, and especially about THIS forum, is that somebody always knows somebody who might be able to help you out. I'm pretty lucky here, since I've actually gotten to meet with a couple of people over the years that we've been visiting friends in OR. I shoot everything legal here in yUK from 1861 to now, but I don't go hunting - the local safari park would get really hissy if'n I did.

In addition to Project Appleseed, Douglas Ridge Rifle Club in Estacada puts on four or five Garand Clinics per year. At these you get some basic position rifle shooting training and then shoot a match. If you are new they will team you up with a seasoned coach and they provide loaner M1s and ammo for a modest cost.

I would do the Appleseed first so you get experience shooting a .22LR then look to shooting the center fire Garand.

Any type of match shooting, formal or informal will transfer skills to the hunting field. In my opinion the fastest path to field proficeicnly with a firearm is position match shooting. The armed forces follow this path for good reason.

And ...

It's a ton of fun and you get to shoot a lot. You may only get one shot per year hunting, but if you take the deep dive into match shooting you can easily burn through thousands of rounds per year. You don't need to shoot that much to gain valuable skills shooting matches, not by a long shot … but the potential is there if you want it.

Forgot to add … Tri-County Gun Club will be hosting some Sporter Rifle matches this coming year. This is a perfect opportunity to put your hunting rig through the paces in a low-key and very fun match format. Shooting these Sporter matches is lightyears ahead of just bench shooing your hunting rifle for groups and then hitting the field.

Hello Kristopher. Welcome from the gun-totin old broad contingent.

I'd suggest as soon as you've learned the basics, probably on a .22 rifle, take a handgun self defense course and get your concealed license. That is, get the concealed license as soon as possible. Fine to have and not need. Nice to have the option.

Carol

Great thread. Ill be following as well since I am new to Vancouver. I've been hesitating to get in the Clubs in Oregon because I hate crossing the bridges :) and just don't want to deal with the legalities of taking semi-automatics south of the border in this current political climate. After all my Ruger 10-22 is a very evil assault weapon :rollseyes: But I guess I am going to have to since the Clark Rifles went from a 2 year wait to a 3 year wait recently :( Isn't there a club about 30 or 40 miles east that is supposed to be pretty good? Thanks!

But I guess I am going to have to since the Clark Rifles went from a 2 year wait to a 3 year wait recently :( Isn't there a club about 30 or 40 miles east that is supposed to be pretty good? Thanks!
Get on the waiting list at Clark Rifles. I am a long time member. Cascade Sportsman's Club west of Stevenson at The Bridge of the God's.
$20 per year no initiation fee. ;):D:p

Last Edited:
Get on the waiting list at Clark Rifles. I am a long time member. Cascade Sportsman's Club east of Stevenson at The Bridge of the God's.
$20 per year no initiation fee. ;):D:p
I wish I could. Waiting list is closed until it gets down to less than a year. Most of this year, the website said 2 years waiting. It just changed to three years waiting in the last month. I am beginning to think, Ill have retired and moved to Idaho before I even get on the waiting list. :) - and thanks - Cascade Sporting Club is the one I was thinking about but couldn't remember :)

IMHO - Tri-County in Sherwood is the best outdoor club in the area (types and varieties of ranges). You can participate in some events/training there without being a member. Best to get on their waiting list as it is about a year to get in.

If you want to learn the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship (which is an obvious need as a rifle hunter) sign up for an Appleseed 2-day event. The next scheduled one in your area is at the Douglas Ridge Rifle Club at Eagle Creek, OR (about a 30 minute drive from Vancouver) in February. You will only need a 22 caliber rifle such as the Ruger 10/22 with at least 3 magazines (2 required, at least one spare). A Ruger 10/22 with improved sights, such as a scope or Tech Sights, is the most common rifle used at these events. If you don't want to go through the I-1639 nonsense, a bolt action 22 rifle with at least two 10-round magazines is also an option. If you plan on hunting with a bolt action rifle, learning on a 22 bolt action, equipped with the same sighting system as your hunting rifle, is an excellent option. Check out the Appleseed website for sling options (you will need a sling, preferably the GI web sling). About 400 rounds of ammo and 2 days of intense learning will get you started on the fundamentals. More info here: Project Appleseed | Project Appleseed . Good luck.

What have I gotten myself into..

giphy.gif

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews