JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings,

I'm having difficulty choosing a scope for a Mauser 308 rifle. The many, many options have overwhelmed me! I would like to support our local Leupold factory. The rifle will be used for anything from target practice to deer (and maybe elk.) I would like to get a nice piece of glass I can pass down to my son eventually. What would you recommend?

Sincerely,
Synnergy

The VX-6 line is simply awesome. For what you are describing i would go with the 3-18x with the CDS dials. Fantastic glass and a very flexible range on magnification. Also with the CDS dials, once you get a load that your rifle likes, you can send the dials in and leupold will make you a custom dial with the yardage markers build into the dial for your load/rifle combination.

It all depends on what you have in mind to spend. If possible I like a scope to fit the guns personality for just what I want it to do with it and at the range I plan on using it most. The average deer hunter can get by well with a fixed 4 power or a Leupold MX8x4 on an old Mauser battle rifle. If it were a carbine or a custom rig or a few dollars more would not matter much, a Leupold VX-3 1.5-4x20mm or the VX-3 1.5-5x20mm Rifle Scope would not only look good it would give you variable power a one point increase in magnification or a 2.5 point decrease in magnification wile up close in the brush, still a good scope out to 300+ yards, it would be a better scope in the brush than at long range consistently. For that a ground floor LEUPOLD VX-1 0r Vx-2 3-9X40 will do as much as a guy would need. My favorite, a scope I find most capable for longer reasonable range [also and as above, about 600 yards] is the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm. I don't think I could ever need or use much more than that on the best 308 rifle, I could afford.
In fact scopes in this caliber belong on rifles you learn to like most using the experience gathered through time.

Now armed with all of this information go to a place like Cabela's sporting goods and look at these and many more all in one day. Then go home without buying anything and stew about your choice and do it again. If you buy a Leupold chances are it will be around a long time. My first one is 52 years old and still shoots as good the day it was made.
Silver Hand

Spend as much as you can afford. I would avoid the Rifleman and VX-1 line, only because I think you can get the same quality for less money buying a different brand. I've never heard anyone say they regretted buying the VX-2 and above lines of Leupolds.

When looking for scopes I always start with Leupold in mind, but often buy something else because of cost, features or reticle. Leupold has lots of great reticle options, but often you pay a considerable premium for them, where other scopes might offer a similar reticle for no extra cost.

After spending 4 years chasing down quality scopes at bargain prices I am buying only Leupolds from now on!
I strongly recommend a 3-9X40mm (or a 2-8) in a VX 2 or 3.
Bi-Mart has some good pricing
go to the Leupold web site as they will be introducing new products this month due to the SHOT Show

I have the VX-II on my .06 and love it has a good amount of eye relief no bleeding fo head here. My only real gripe is the crosshairs are a little on the thick side.

You all rock! Thank you for the suggestions. Regarding the magnification, I was thinking of a variable at least up to 14x...do you think higher power magnification is a waste for 308?

You know Leupold has a fully staffed Technical Support team with men and women who are shooters, competitors, hard-core hunters, and who seriously know their product, know how to hunt game, know how to shoot really-really good, know ever feature on each optic, and know what works/doesn't work.

It is a free 1-800 number and they'd be tickled to help you select the most cost effective optic for your rifle. If you're going with Leupold glass then why not get the amazing support started now.

I've owned several Leupold scopes, from old VXI to new Rifleman to VX-R.
It's unlikely I'll ever buy another brand due to value for the dollar spent, warranty and customer service.

I'm a hunter. Not varmits, big game. I don't think that 14x is a waste on a 308, but I think it's way out of line for any realistic big game hunting. Paper punching? Yep, it would be very good. The reason I would never buy a scope like that for what I'm doing is that the lower end of magnification would be not as low as I would want in the woods around here and it would be bigger, heavier and bulkier than I want for my hunting rifle.
We have one rifle with a 2-7x33 and with the exception of a fixed 4x I don't have anymore, the rest are 3-9x40s. A 4-12 would be my suggestion for something on a hunting rifle if wanting more magnification than 9x.
Even the Rifleman line will allow you to see things that you would not see with the naked eye in low light. It only gets better as the price goes up. Spend all that you can afford to.
My favorite for hunting is the VX-R. I only wish it didn't have the target turret for elevation. My favorite for paper punching is the old VXI I'll mention in a minute because it has the fine reticle.
Leupold "bought" my loyalty several years ago when we had a problem with a scope that had been my wife's dad's. The guy I dealt with at Leupold told me it was made in 1967. It had a hard life, but when things went goofy, they fixed it at no charge with no questions except for asking what my complaint was. Can't beat that.

I've owned several Leupold scopes, from old VXI to new Rifleman to VX-R.
It's unlikely I'll ever buy another brand due to value for the dollar spent, warranty and customer service.

I'm a hunter. Not varmits, big game. I don't think that 14x is a waste on a 308, but I think it's way out of line for any realistic big game hunting. Paper punching? Yep, it would be very good. The reason I would never buy a scope like that for what I'm doing is that the lower end of magnification would be not as low as I would want in the woods around here and it would be bigger, heavier and bulkier than I want for my hunting rifle.
We have one rifle with a 2-7x33 and with the exception of a fixed 4x I don't have anymore, the rest are 3-9x40s. A 4-12 would be my suggestion for something on a hunting rifle if wanting more magnification than 9x.
Even the Rifleman line will allow you to see things that you would not see with the naked eye in low light. It only gets better as the price goes up. Spend all that you can afford to.
My favorite for hunting is the VX-R. I only wish it didn't have the target turret for elevation. My favorite for paper punching is the old VXI I'll mention in a minute because it has the fine reticle.
Leupold "bought" my loyalty several years ago when we had a problem with a scope that had been my wife's dad's. The guy I dealt with at Leupold told me it was made in 1967. It had a hard life, but when things went goofy, they fixed it at no charge with no questions except for asking what my complaint was. Can't beat that.
Leupold has at least one 3-18x (Next on my list I think.). I think this is about the best power range for a do-it-all scope and pretty sure what I will be strapping on my AR-6.5 Grendel.

Silver Hand (2nd post) is right. A straight 4x power is perfect for those old mausers. As it happens, I happened have an extra 4x power for sale if you're interested.

You need to ask yourself some questions. What power range do you want? What reticle? What kind of turrets? Illuminated reticle? How heavy? FFP or SFP? How far are you shooting ? Etc... I have a Leupold vx3 3.5-10x40 that's been to the custom shop. It now has target turrets and a Mildot reticle. If that fits the bill and me a pm, it's for sale.

I appreciate the input. I realize (to some,) it is as simple as picking out range etc., but there are so many options it is a bit overwhelming-and this is hard earned money at stake for a multi-generational-hand-me-down...so I want to get something good. I don't plan on buying many scopes. I am still looking into the options and appreciate the advise, thank you.

I appreciate the input. I realize (to some,) it is as simple as picking out range etc., but there are so many options it is a bit overwhelming-and this is hard earned money at stake for a multi-generational-hand-me-down...so I want to get something good. I don't plan on buying many scopes. I am still looking into the options and appreciate the advise, thank you.

For the money vx3 4.5-14 with a 30mm tube and either 40-50mm bell I like 40 but that's a hard scope to beat for the money

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top