JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hodgdon's website doesn't list data for lead bullets. Nor does Laser-Cast have load data for HS-6 using this bullet.

I need load data for a .40 S&W Laser-Cast 155gr RN Hard Cast Lead Bullet using HS-6. Any suggestions?

I've run into this issue with 9mm and hard cast bullets not having a published load.

I've just considered myself a "pioneer" at that point. Consider that the hard cast bullet is not as soft as a swaged or softer cast bullet, they perform almost the same as jacketed, just need to be kept slow enough to keep them from leading the heck out of a barrel.

If faced with the same issue, I'd probably start at 7.5 grains of HS-6, which is just below the starting load for a jacketed bullet of the same weight and work up until I reached the usual signs I should stop. After all, what did we all do before books were published?

Have you considered using something like Power Pistol instead of the HS-6. Lee shows a starting load of 6.7 gr Power Pistol @1064 fps for a "Lead" bullet.

Have you considered using something like Power Pistol instead of the HS-6. Lee shows a starting load of 6.7 gr Power Pistol @1064 fps for a "Lead" bullet.

I only have about 50 of these hardcast bullets so I don't want to buy another powder that I won't use. I use HS-6 for my 10mm. I was hoping I could just use it for these bullets. I also have some Titegroup, but the distance between start and max loads is so small I didn't want to experiment with it.

The Laser-Cast Manual shows...

CALIBER: .40 S&W
BULLET: 180gr. RN Flat Point (and 180gr Truncated Cone)
POWDER: Hodgdon HS-6
START LOAD: 6.6gr
MAX LOAD: 7.1gr

I've been told it is OK to use load data of a heavier bullet (but NOT from a lighter bullet).

Would it be safe to use this load data for my .40 S&W 155gr RN Hard Cast Bullet?

If you call LaserCast, they will send you load data. I couldn't find any load data for power pistol for the 180 grain so I just called them. They were very nice and helpful. On a note, I wouldn't use them again. I was shooting them and they produce a huge cloud of smoke, which made me have to evacuate the air on the range several times. I switched to my plated rounds and no smoke. I really wasn't too impressed with that and will shoot plated bullets from now on.

If you call LaserCast, they will send you load data. I couldn't find any load data for power pistol for the 180 grain so I just called them. They were very nice and helpful. On a note, I wouldn't use them again. I was shooting them and they produce a huge cloud of smoke, which made me have to evacuate the air on the range several times. I switched to my plated rounds and no smoke. I really wasn't too impressed with that and will shoot plated bullets from now on.

I did call them. This data is from the information that they sent me. They sent me the pages from their manual, which doesn't include an HS-6 load for the 155gr RN bullet.

The Laser-Cast Manual shows...

CALIBER: .40 S&W
BULLET: 180gr. RN Flat Point (and 180gr Truncated Cone)
POWDER: Hodgdon HS-6
START LOAD: 6.6gr
MAX LOAD: 7.1gr

I've been told it is OK to use load data of a heavier bullet (but NOT from a lighter bullet).

Would it be safe to use this load data for my .40 S&W 155gr RN Hard Cast Bullet?

You could use this load although I'd start higher than their recommended "min" ofr the 180 to avoid any issues that a reduced load might cause. As you will note, the 7.1 gr max is not far off of what I recommended for a starting load with the 155 gr.

This is always a bit of a conundrum. Do I start low and risk a an explosion due to to little charge? Or do I start higher and risk overpressure issues. I find that I do far better by starting with a little more, still staying away from what I've extrapolated as a max load from other data (heavier bullets with same powder).

Of course you can use the time tested Safety Procedure for that first round. Let your Wife or Brother In Law fire the first one then just carefully examine the case (if there is one to examine) :s0114::s0155::cool:

Lastly, if you only have 50, you could just melt them down and make fishing weights from the lead. Might take more than half of them to work up a load.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top