JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can anyone help me find the value and age of this smith and wesson model 29-2? Its new in the box with all the accessories, never fired, and virtually unhandled (other than opening the cylinder to get the serial number).It has a blue finish and the serial number is N391XXX MOD292.

NIB guns are difficult to price, because at that point it becomes a buyers market. It could sell from anywhere between $700 to $1200 and on up, it just depends on if you get lucky enough to find a buyer who is willing to pay your asking price.

The last NIB 29 that sold on GB went for $720;
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=149586409

And it appears that there are a whole bunch on there asking between $1200 and $1700 that haven't sold.

It all comes down to what a buyer is willing to pay, and right now might not be the best time to sell something like that with people freaking out about money.

Thank you physicsguy.
Sorry ogre, I meant to include the barrel length. It's 8 1/2", and yes it is in a wood presentation box with cleaning rod and tool.
I only have a rough estimate on the age though... sometime between the mid-60's to early 70's. I checked all the paperwork that came with it but I couldn't find any dates.:(

Thank you physicsguy.
Sorry ogre, I meant to include the barrel length. It's 8 1/2", and yes it is in a wood presentation box with cleaning rod and tool.
I only have a rough estimate on the age though... sometime between the mid-60's to early 70's. I checked all the paperwork that came with it but I couldn't find any dates.:(

If you want exact dates, the best way is to contact S&W, but you usually have to pay a small fee for the information.

The -2 spanned a pretty large timeline, so there are lots out there, but I do not know if the 8 3/8" (that's what you have, not 8.5") barrel was produced more than others.

My conservative estimate, if you were patient, would be between $800-1100, that's a guess without seeing condition of gun or box. If you were in a hurry to sell, you should have no trouble getting $700-800 pretty quickly.

According to the good book (Standard Catalog of S&W), your revolver was made in 1975-1976. It puts the value at $850, which is probably pretty accurate (although the values in any book rarely are accurate).

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top