JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Type 99 Arisaka, that I believe maybe chambered in 30-06, but I would like to have it checked by a gunsmith to be sure.

Does anyone know any gunsmiths in the Vancouver area that would be able to do this.

Thanks

What make you think its chambered 30.06? Normally they're 7.7x58mm (aka 7.7 Jap). Tactic Ammunition in Saint Helen's, OR sell it for about $30 for a box of 20. Unless this is a replica or has been modified then that's what it should use (I doubt the Japanese would have made 30.06 versions). My dad has had one of these since before I was born and he just gave it to me about a year or two ago. I finally shot it for the first time just a couple months ago and a shot great, though it took a while to figure out where I could get ammo for it. I also bought some ammo for online recently but I forget where I bought it from, so I would have to look it up. It seem like people only make this once in awhile so you have to buy it when they have it. On a side note, I've read that some people reload 30.06 brass for this rifle if they have the dies to modify it just right, as its pretty close to 30.06.

I ended up taking it to Marcus, at Washougal River Mercantile. It is, without a shadow of a doubt, a .30-06. The magazine and feed ramp have been modified, very nicely I might add. During the Korean war, 125,500 Type 99 rifles were converted to .30-06 under American supervision. I believe mine to be one of these. It chambers a .30-06 round perfectly, silky smooth. It was checked with a headspace go/no-go gauge, and that confirmed my suspicions. I am quite proud to own such a neat piece of history. I can't wait to shoot it, too.

He just ran the gauges. I've put about 26 rounds or so through it, and it shoots fine, although there's some bulging on the brass, but from what I read, that's normal because the Arisaka chamber is slightly larger than a 30-06 case. The bulging isn't really that bad, which leads me to believe the barrel has been set back properly. At 100 yds I'm on the paper too.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews