JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I changed out the grips on a 5906 that I picked up here. I thought it would be simple; slide the old grip off, slide the new one on and make sure the mainspring and cap are set correctly.
Didn't happen that way, the grip changed out easy but not the pistol won't cock. I also can't get the slide off even usibg a punch and hammer won't free the slide lock, so they may be related.

I don't know what I could've done wrong. I've been on the net and not found anything.

Any ideas folks? I could use some help.

Thank you.

Check out the four YT videos titled, Gunsmithing the S&W 3rd Generation Pistols. You may find the answer there; otherwise, go to their forum for advice. It has to have happened to others.

I actually watched that video before. I did exactly what he did except I used NOS factory grips which use the pin.

That's why I can't figure it out. :mad:

I looked at that video as well and I did it the way it's shown.
I've had them off and on several times. It's a simple thing, I did it right.
And the slide lock will not come out even with the spring pressure relieved. :confused:

I looked at that video as well and I did it the way it's shown.
I've had them off and on several times. It's a simple thing, I did it right.
And the slide lock will not come out even with the spring pressure relieved. :confused:

Just curious if you have tried to put the original grips back on and will it work with them on.

If it does I'd guess it's your new grips.

Depending on the age and condition of the pistol, I'd send it out for spring replacement and detail cleaning anyway. After years of quantity over quality I am shifting to a policy of quality (not necessarily high priced) tools properly maintained and trained with. Just food for thought.

I put the original grips back on and it work, put the new ones on, it doesn't and I'll be darned if I can see any difference.
The slide lock is still jammed too.
This is just weird.

Just curious if you have tried to put the original grips back on and will it work with them on.

If it does I'd guess it's your new grips.
This ^^^
Put the old grip back on and check function.
If the new grip is aftermarket, then it might be something with that grip.

I've had OEM straight grips and OEM palm swell grips on and off my 5906 without issue.

I put the original grips back on and it work, put the new ones on, it doesn't and I'll be darned if I can see any difference.
This is just weird.

The new grips are catching the mainspring. Put the originals on, cycle the slide and then take down.

This is just weird.

So possibly a small variation in one of the dimensions? If you can figure out where a dremal should work or just sandpaper.

Okay. At this point, it cycles correctly with the original grips so I'll leave them on for now. The slidelock still won't budge and I've never seen that happen before, maybe tight or a bit of a bind, but never stuck solid.

:s0092:

Okay. At this point, it cycles correctly with the original grips so I'll leave them on for now. The slidelock still won't budge and I've never seen that happen before, maybe tight or a bit of a bind, but never stuck solid.

:s0092:
It's been a while since I've taken mine apart, but it seems that I used a chopstick for pin pusher and eased the slide back at the same time.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top