JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Liberty , Lighted, Humidifer, Touch Pad Lock, Big as you can aford, Droped off at your driveway sucks so call the dealer in Canby, Kirt will beat Coastal price ( he supplys them ) and will run the safe in your house. Be safe

<broken link removed>

When I was looking for a safe I heard good things about these from Mountain View Safe Company out if Boring OR. Seemed like a lot of safe for the money. I ended up going with Costco, delivery to my house was too good to pass up. Moving it up two flights of stairs wasn't much fun but got it done with a couple friends and minimal damage to my house.

I heard a lot of good things from these guys also. I ended up purchasing one and it has worked well for what I needed but the electronics went tits up after a year and now have to pop the keypad off and use the key:( I have contacted them and left messages but they do not call me back go figure:huh:

Holding out for the day when I inherit the Fort Knox from my father in law. Not looking forward to moving it either.

Old thread, but since it HAS been resurrected...

As Burt alluded to on page 2, "security" comes in layers and nothing is going to keep 100% of the bad guys out 100% of the time. It was also mentioned that a $500 safe you can afford is better than a $5000 safe you can't afford.

To that end, do make sure yer security is in layers, from the lighting and vegetation around your place, your "OPSEC" (stickers on your cars, t-shirts you wear, your neighbors knowing your hobby, etc.). That $500 "safe" that is secured and will help to thwart most of the "smash and grab" robberies is a good start, but it is only a start (insane when you see a pic of a nice $50K or so collection in a Costco safe, amazing). Do make sure your home owners/renters insurance will cover your collection for theft and fire. Then keep an eye out for a better safe. There are some GREAT deals to be had from craigslist on real TL rated SAFES from time-to-time. If not that, maybe save you pennies and look into one of the better RSCish type units like Sturdy Safes or the good AMSEC stuff. Sturdy has a great bunch of videos on youtube thats kinda eye-opening, again though, you're seeing what they want to show you (nevertheless, pretty impressive).

sturdysafe1&#39;s channel - YouTube

For the guys just starting out, rather than spending money on the Stack-On like cans, take a look at the Jobox like construction lockers used on job sights; they're a bit more scratch, but a much more secure container than the Stack-On like cans.

I went through the same process a couple of years ago and ended up with a Fort Knoxx. Best safe for the money in my book. photo(5).JPG

photo(5).JPG

Not bad, you get a lot of safe for that, but it's about twice what i'd want to pay. Plus it's too deep for what i need :(

Go liberty, browning, or fort knox. They do not loose value over the years. Safes are tax free in Washington. Gun show this weekend at Portland Expo center...so go look and talk to both Liberty and Fort Knox vendors. They will educate you and you can see sizes. Tell them what you intend to put in it so they can advise you on size, security level. Sportsman's Warehouse has Browning safes on the show floor. If you have precious metals go Fort Knox. (My opinion)
Do not tell anyone what you bought, do not put it where people can see it, bolt it down to floor. Good luck!

I bought a big used Fort Knox safe about 12 years ago for $1200 from the dealer in Canby. It has been great, and that's the brand I would buy again. The dial went bad last year and part of the guarantee is he came out the next day, was able to replace it, and it works perfectly now. They are also warranteed against breakins. Someone damages your safe, they either fix it or replace it.

Highly recommend the dealer in Canby.

Also, I have a pretty big fire safe that I am giving away;;;

Takers? The combination is on a post it inside and someone spun the dial before I could file it. So watch a youtube about cracking and you can probably get it open.

Until you get over $2500 you are not going to get a large degree of burglar resistance.

This video illustrates a brute force attack Liberty Safes - Videos -

There are some other tricks like drilling through the side over a bolt and then using a punch to break the mechanism. The bolts you can see may look impressive from the outside but if you take the back off most safes you will find that the bolts are attached to a very lightweight (1/16") stamped channel or angle. Punching in this manner will either break the bar off the lock mechanism or break the channel. Liberty's MonsterMech is designed to take the pressure off the lock to counter this method.

Also, most safes (even Liberty) use 1/8" steel plate until you get into the top of the line. A gas powered chop saw will cut the top of most safes in short order.

The average burglar is not going to have the expertise and/or is not going to be willing to devote the time and effort to be successful.

There are some things you can do to ensure that someone does not have the time to open a lesser safe.

#1 Keep your mouth shut. Bragging on-line about your new $25,000 tommy gun is a great way to attract a professional thief.

#2 Secure the safe to the floor (forget the wimpy plastic expansion anchors and go over the top with anchoring) the anchors are only as strong as the floor and most floors are made of OSB (flake board) My preferred would be lead anchors into concrete or allthread through the trusses backed up by angle iron.

#3 Get a home security system and tie a alarm panic circuit to your safe

#4 Make the sides and back of your safe inaccessible by placing it in an alcove, closet, corner, etc. This makes a brute force attack MUCH more difficult.

I would look closely at fire ratings. I have a one hour safe and I placed it in a corner at the outside wall of the house. If the place burns, this will be a lot cooler than the center. The worst place for a safe in a fire is in the basement of a multi-story where it will be covered in a pile of coals for hours and hours.

Here is a good video on fire ratings.
Liberty Safes - Videos -

You will be fine with a $1,200 but go for size and fire rating first and use common sense to make thievery more difficult.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top