Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need a smith near Vanc Wa. for a ruger MKI .22

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by kaz440, Jun 1, 2011.

1. kaz440

kaz440 Vancouver Wa Member

Recent purchase, looks to have been dry fired too many times since 1959.... The firing pin has left an indentation on the breech and it is not always hitting the case/rim hard enough to fire. I figure a small fill weld and refinish of the chamber/breechface? Anyone?

Thanks,

Shawn

2. oa98pistol512

oa98pistol512 salem area Member

I sent mine back to ruger and they charged me $40 to replace barrel.

3. kaz440

I bought this as a gift for my father to replace one that was stolen back when I was a kid, dad bought this identical model back in 1960 and I wanted one that was original.

I am buying a 22/45 soon to go with a pac-lite upper, so I could use that upper on the old MKI, but I really wanted an original MKI Target model to give to dad.

Thanks for the input.

4. Bulletsrrfriend

Bulletsrrfriend Longview Member

MidwayUSA has this handy tool on their web site. Menck Chamber Ironing Tool 22 Rimfire

5. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

I don't think the upper on the 22/45 will work on a MK1.

6. SynapticSilence

SynapticSilence Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

Best gunsmith I know in Vancouver is Les Johnson at Clark County Gunsmithing. Totally honest and competent guy, home based business. He's done lots of work for me at prices I thought were incredibly reasonable. New 1911 sight installation (conversion from GI sights) cost me all of $35 and wasn't a simple job at all. He's located just east of Clark College off of Mill Plain Blvd.

7. kaz440

I ordered the pac-lite, and the dealer was very specific that it would fit any variation, so I would think that the Ruger parts would be the same, but no I am not 100% certain.

Thanks SynapticSilence, I will call him soon.

8. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

get a chamber swage and a new firing pin, brownells