JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to shop for a gun for my wife's side of the bed, and hopefully in time, for her purse (trying to get her to a CHL class).

Her problem is she is 5'1", and has small hands with short fingers. She can never get her finger on to the trigger of just about anything without having to rotate the pistol until the backstrap is in the middle of her palm. :eek:

The Glock I used to have was terrible for this, the 1911 I have now is somewhat better, but still not there.

Any suggestions? Was thinking a Kel Tec PF-9 or P-11, but looking at the pictures those triggers are WAY out there, so maybe not.

I'm thinking a DA/SA kept cocked and locked (so nothing that uses a decocker), so the trigger is close. Is there such a thing as a DA/SA 9mm with a single stack?

I have a lot of Kahr Arms pistols in stock if she would like to check them out. They seem to fit smaller people's hands well.

I don't know if the $589-$699 price range is too high for her though.

I should have a PF-9 in by thursday if you want to compare.

My contact info is below in red.

Sounds like a maybe. ;)

Got to get her there first.

Any pistols for comparison that fit the 9mm "cocked and locked" capable category? Off the top of my head, High Power SAO clones, or a CZ-75B or CZ-75SA?

If she carries, it won't be in anything but a pretty big purse, so I'm thinking a full size pistol isn't a problem, so long as it's got the right grip/trigger configuration. I know this is a tough order, but hoping something out there fits.

DA/SA cocked and locked? Litle confusion here---why not just go with
a single action if you aren't going to use the DA?

In a straight SA pistol you have more options. My wife also has tiny
hands with short fingers. She shot a reduced grip Glock 17 for a few
years, but never really felt like she had a grip on the gun, especially
shooting weak hand.

Her current gun is a 9mm Colt Series 70 1911. Flat mainspring housing,
short trigger, thin grips, right side mag release. As soon as I have time
I'll fit a low pad safety on it. You could do the same thing in a 9mm
Commander or Officers if you wanted a smaller frame.

I agree, single action only is something I'd like. Just so few weapons fit that bill, and John Browning designed them all. :yes:

I'm a bit of a truest, I want a 45ACP single stack 1911 running 230 ball on USGI magazines (got that), and if I'm gonna have a single action 9mm in the household, I'd REALLY like it to be a High Power design.

So maybe I'm answering my own question there. Anybody know if there exist replacement triggers for High Powers that place it further back in the trigger guard? So it'd look like a 92FS trigger does when it's cocked? This arrangement would actually work for her, and be a gun I'd love to shoot when I go to the range.

I have a lot of Kahr Arms pistols in stock if she would like to check them out. They seem to fit smaller people's hands well.

I don't know if the $589-$699 price range is too high for her though.

I should have a PF-9 in by thursday if you want to compare.

My contact info is below in red.

You have another PF9 coming in?????????:huh:

I think I found it, by accident. Taurus 709 "slim."

Fits the bill. One person described a VERY short distance from grip to trigger, just what she needs. Single stack 9mm, and it's single action with a external safety, and a glock style trigger safety. Single action crisp trigger, but reverts to double action in case of misfire (double strike capability).

Gonna find someone who has one in stock for her to try out.

I think I found it, by accident. Taurus 709 "slim."

Fits the bill. One person described a VERY short distance from grip to trigger, just what she needs. Single stack 9mm, and it's single action with a external safety, and a glock style trigger safety. Single action crisp trigger, but reverts to double action in case of misfire (double strike capability).

Gonna find someone who has one in stock for her to try out.

Thats what I was going to suggest.

Also check out the Kahr's as mentioned earlier. My son has small hands and has trouble with most of my auto handguns in grip and trigger reach. He shoots my PM9 very well. Also look at the Agrip. It softens the bite of the small 9mm without adding anything to the grip size. It is really amazing how something so thin can make such a difference.

We have a number of small stature women and men both in law enforcement and the military training with us who do not have a choice and yet they become very competent with their issue firearms regardless of size and its fit. Mindset overcomes all obstacles! However if you have choice then what we find that works well are the GLOCKs, reduced receiver GLOCKs, Kahr, & S&W M&P with different backstraps. Also many women do well with the 1911 design with the straight backstrap.

I remember one young women who is just a "little thing" with itty bitty hands who is in the Air Force and stationed in Minot, ND guarding Nukes. She came and attended several classes training with a full size issued Beretta and did extremely well...again it is mindset. Master the mindset then one can become a master of all arms.

For crying out loud, don't fall into the J Frame is the perfect handgun for smaller women trap! Oh the stories I could tell. Clint Smith said it best "J Frames are expert's weapons!"

Well, I can see where someone that has no choice in firearms might be able to use and be competent with the firearm issued, but if you have the choice of your firearm, why not get what works/feels best.

Mindset is important and is most of the problem but the rest can be the mechanics of the firearm- size, weight, etc. There are alot of guys I work with that have the option and choose a smaller firearm when available. Could they all use a G21- sure. But since they have the choice, why not go for something they are more comfortable with.

here's some free advice. Take her to PTSC in Clackamas or some other range that rents firearms and let her try a few guns out. I'll bet she'll come up with one she likes (if any at all). Here's a shocker- she may not like shooting guns??!!??!!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top