JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There has been a lot of false info going around claiming that N95 masks are not effective for protecting the wearer of the mask. It is being suggested that the mask is intended to prevent those wearing the mask from contaminating others. This is a complete load of digested grass when it comes to the N95 mask that homedepot, lowes and others have been selling. The masks frequently purchased in the hardware dept. are designed to protect the user from inhaling particals. They are not designed to filter the air you exhale. This is most obvious with N95 mask that have a one way flap valve that allows exhaled air to bypass that filter media of the mask. Hospital masks may be designed and work differently so I won't speak to how effective those are at filtering exhaled air.

I wear both N95 masks and a half mask with cartridges rated for organic vapors at my place of employment and I'm familiar with how they work. They are designed to filter incoming air not exhaled air.

I understand the supply issue and worries about shortages but if healthcare professionals tell me the N95 masks are not designed to protect the user then they lose credibilty with me.

Edit CDC describes what an N95 mask does:
What is an N95 filtering facepiece respirator (FFR)?
  • An N95 FFR is a type of respirator which removes particles from the air that are breathed through it. These respirators filter out at least 95% of very small (0.3 micron) particles. N95 FFRs are capable of filtering out all types of particles, including bacteria and viruses.

More verification

Here is a recent independent study on mask filtration. Read it for yourself.

FYI EVERYONE

I have some extra for sale if you still need to add a few to your gear. Trying to keep it reasonable here. $3 each. I bought them right as this situation kicked off, but while you could still actually find them. I only have extra because there was no other reasonably priced option left but to buy cases when I pulled the trigger (pun intended).

Feel free to send a PM

Stay safe everyone.

I think that goes more to the point of breaking it down to a fifth grade level. Masks alone are actually of little or no use. In reality, they are components of a contamination control system. You really are wasting resources if you are not knowledgeable of, or using effective techniques and procedures. Not to say that arrogance and poor planning are not part of the problem, but don't think it's as pervasive as some feel.

Well first, the CDC should actually, hmm, educate the public rather than lie. Somewhere on the web a person pulled the prior CDC guidance that encouraged mask use. So the officials are simply lying and being lazy and trying to cover their own ineptitude in a bewildering fashion.

Second, if healthcare is relying on Home Depot for mask inventory, we are screwed due to their ineptitude.

This is an excellent explanation, and one analogy is if a person is forced to go into the winter wilderness unprepared. They have only a t-shirt or a light jacket. You'd be a absolute moron to leave the light jacket behind, even if it's inadequate:

I ask you, why not wear a bandanna as a mask?

They look cool and will keep your spew contained.

What more do you want?

Some of you are very picky...
I would wear hanky if that's all I had. I picked up a cheap camo neck gaitor which also looks cool in a redneck antifa sort of way:rolleyes: It said is was water repellent but I chose to add some 3M waterproofing for a little extra insurance. Water beads off it like a freshly waxed car. I hope I don't ever feel it's necessary to wear it though. It will be an absolute last ditch option.

OK I admit it. I horde these masks, I have plenty out in my shop. I use them when sanding, dry wall, wood and during smoke season (wild fire season).
Do they work? Sure they do, at the end of the day the buggers aren't anywhere as big as they would have been without the mask. Do I know how to fit them? I think I do. 40+ years using them however some dust always gets by.
Are they better than nothing if you are going to be in close proximity to infected persons? Eh, yes better than nothing.
Will running in circles screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" aka CLS (chicken little syndrome) help anyone? No.
Do you understand how frail life is in a long term care facility is? You do understand that the residents in these facility's are often already at deaths door. If anyone is silly enough to think that the death rate inside a facility of this type should be used in compiling statistics that would provide an accurate assessment of the danger of this or any other ailment is to the general public they really need to go back to school.
Is this a dangerous virus? Sure.
Was the pandemic of 1918 bad? Depends on who you ask. Dad never mentioned it mind you he was an infant at the time it ravaged the world...

If you want to spread fear like the loony news media, go for it.:rolleyes:

Do you understand how frail life is in a long term care facility is? You do understand that the residents in these facility's are often already at deaths door.

For $9,000 a month, you'd think they could find a way around this.

Was the pandemic of 1918 bad?

All kidding aside, it was very bad. The Spanish flu epidemic spiked infant deaths, people from 20-30 years old, and the elderly. My own father had twin brother and sister born in 1917. One died at birth, the other died the next year from the Spanish flu. People these days don't much remember this event of over 100 years ago but it was very bad. Estimated 50 million people plus died from it; one third of the earth's population contracted it. It hit in three waves, the last one in early 1919. So twice when it was thought to be nearly over, it came back. The second wave was the worst. Think about this in the near future with the Corona virus.

Health care clinician 23 years.
Their are 2 levels of n95 masks.
One approved by niosh for particulates and a second approved by fda suitable for surgical applications. a niosh mask 3m 1810. Surgical 3m 1860.

The surgical level are the best for this situation.

These masks (both) are to protect the wearer from inhaling particulate/droplet (someone coughing sneezing in your proximity).

The surgical grade masks the wearer is fitted for proper size then to test the fit a hood is placed over the mask wearers head and a noxious smoke sprayed under the hood to confirm fit/seal . Also if you have facial hair ( beard) mask not effective.

Viruses are small under 2 micron, but viruses can only live outside the body for extremly short periods, these masks either one cannot filter out a virus, however a virus usually attaches to a bacteria to survive which bacteria are larger than 2 micron soo the bacteria/virus combo would be filtered out if your mask is sealed properly. That is not to say that a poorly fitted mask wont protect it is just not 100%.

As this virus can enter the highly vascularized eye membrane goggles/face shield is appropiate.

The above is just for airborne particles.

Yes if you touch an infected surface you can pick it up on your hands. Thus frequent hand washing and dont touch your face.

If you are around an infected person and not wearing a gown then your clothes are a potential source of transmission.

Think about asbestos abatement procedures.

Should a sick person wear a mask? Yes a procedural mask is sufficient with the goal to just cut down on airborne particulate.

Keep this whole thing in perspective 80% of those that get it get a mild cold/flu

People that are comprimised already elder people eith respiratory issues for example are most succeptable.

Should you get masks, sure any protec
tion is valuable. Any level of effectiveness could protect you

Gotta get grand kids to school

Back from taking grand kids to school.

The key thing to remember is wash hands with soap for at least 30 seconds.

If you are not around people you gan get naked if you want.

If on a crowded subway you need to up your PPE a bit. If somebody near you coughing and sneezing get away from them.

Bleach wipes, wipe down surfaces in your house. Bleach kills everything.

If your area highly infected. You might change clothes in garage when you get home. Put soiled clothes in a trash bag take bag to wash machine rip open bag dump clothes in dont touch and wash hot water.

Their are probably vidoes on you tube about mantaining a " clean " field.

You just have to think about what you are doing and what order you do it in.
If you are gown, gloved, and masked their is an order in which you take them off should be you tube vidoes.

If its not in your area dont worry. If its around just be smart.

The spanish flu was horrible some people died within 24 hours of showing symptoms.
Where the reg flu and this covid-19 elderly already comprimised people are most at risk with young children next.

The spanish flu attacked healthy people 15 to 50 yrs. People with healthy immune systems if they became infected it was their immune system that killed them.

The healthy immune system created a cytokine storm (spelling off) the bodies defense against that virus was so over the top that lungs filled with fluid people could not breath (to the best of my understand)

Maybe 20% of WORLD population succomed to that flu.

It got the name spanish flu becauseall of europe was infected but during ww1 spain was only country that was reporting news (dont think spain involved in ww1) so they were only country reporting that people were dying of this disease, not shure where it actually started.

Dont freak out, take proper precautions, stay away from big crowds for a few months, dont shake hands unless you wash or disinfect, dont touch face.

get plenty of sleep, dont get run down, eat good, increase your protien intake. You be ok.

"THIS TOO SHALL PASS"

People unnecessarily buying up all the masks are only creating problems for people in industry's that actually need them. I work construction and we need these to remain OSHA compliant when doing certain tasks, however since hysteria has caused them to be sold out myself and many others are left with the choice of risking our health or not working. Thanks a bunch (sarc). I would bet the only long term consequences of this scare will be an uptick in lung related cancers, due to a lack of safety equipment.
So I guess what I am saying is stop buying masks you don't need.

The irony I find here is that this is a flu like virus. Flu viruses precautions are generally surgical style masks (protect from droplets). This is supposedly how Corona is spread. So N95 is technically overkill. They were designed to protect from smaller airborne threats such as tuberculosis which is much easier to spread. Wash your hands. Cover your cough, and wear a mask. Disinfect your space more frequently. ESPECIALLY your phone.

People unnecessarily buying up all the masks are only creating problems for people in industry's that actually need them. I work construction and we need these to remain OSHA compliant when doing certain tasks, however since hysteria has caused them to be sold out myself and many others are left with the choice of risking our health or not working. Thanks a bunch (sarc). I would bet the only long term consequences of this scare will be an uptick in lung related cancers, due to a lack of safety equipment.
So I guess what I am saying is stop buying masks you don't need.
Vendors are gouging i looked st one wab site 3 weeks ago the surgical masks were 300$ for 120 masks last week the price doubled to 599$ for the same 120 masks. Also the news media and some politicians are complicit in fear mongering

As to masks; I was in Asia during the SARs outbreak. It was explained to me that most people wearing masks were simply preventing themselves from touching their mouth or nose. Not really for filtration. The underlying theory was that if you are out and about, you will have the virus on your hands which is ok as long as you dont touch your face or mouth. When you subconsciously try to touch your face, the mask is a barrier. A bandana would do the same thing. Take a look at how much you touch your face. I am constantly touching my face and it is a habit hard to stop. Next time you are in a public place, watch someone for 10 minutes. Count how many times they touch their face. And of course, washing your hands removes the virus.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top