JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There has been a lot of false info going around claiming that N95 masks are not effective for protecting the wearer of the mask. It is being suggested that the mask is intended to prevent those wearing the mask from contaminating others. This is a complete load of digested grass when it comes to the N95 mask that homedepot, lowes and others have been selling. The masks frequently purchased in the hardware dept. are designed to protect the user from inhaling particals. They are not designed to filter the air you exhale. This is most obvious with N95 mask that have a one way flap valve that allows exhaled air to bypass that filter media of the mask. Hospital masks may be designed and work differently so I won't speak to how effective those are at filtering exhaled air.

I wear both N95 masks and a half mask with cartridges rated for organic vapors at my place of employment and I'm familiar with how they work. They are designed to filter incoming air not exhaled air.

I understand the supply issue and worries about shortages but if healthcare professionals tell me the N95 masks are not designed to protect the user then they lose credibilty with me.

Edit CDC describes what an N95 mask does:
What is an N95 filtering facepiece respirator (FFR)?
  • An N95 FFR is a type of respirator which removes particles from the air that are breathed through it. These respirators filter out at least 95% of very small (0.3 micron) particles. N95 FFRs are capable of filtering out all types of particles, including bacteria and viruses.

Last Edited:
As so often happens people are mixing a LOT of stuff up and often then no longer want to hear the truth. The N95s used in the hospital do not have that valve. Those are sold for people to use in industrial applications.
Now as for viruses. Yes the mask used by medical keep the person wearing it from spreading anything they are exhaling. It will also keep the person wearing the mask from inhaling virus spores. Now the rub here is when it comes to things like this its not just what you breath in. It's contact. People who are spreading it leave it on things they touch. When others touch it they now have it on their hands. So when they take that mask off, or touch their eyes, they now have it too. The mask will do almost zero by itself. To keep from being exposed you would need to run around in protective gear, NOT just a mask. Now most will either ignore this info or just refuse to hear it. They have been told to panic and no facts will get past them after that. <shrug>

As so often happens people are mixing a LOT of stuff up and often then no longer want to hear the truth. The N95s used in the hospital do not have that valve. Those are sold for people to use in industrial applications.
Now as for viruses. Yes the mask used by medical keep the person wearing it from spreading anything they are exhaling. It will also keep the person wearing the mask from inhaling virus spores. Now the rub here is when it comes to things like this its not just what you breath in. It's contact. People who are spreading it leave it on things they touch. When others touch it they now have it on their hands. So when they take that mask off, or touch their eyes, they now have it too. The mask will do almost zero by itself. To keep from being exposed you would need to run around in protective gear, NOT just a mask. Now most will either ignore this info or just refuse to hear it. They have been told to panic and no facts will get past them after that. <shrug>
Thanks for the input. I guess the part that upsets me most is when the Healthcare "Professionals" try to diseminate the message that the N95 mask don't provide any protection for the user. As you pointed out, some N95 mask may provide protection both during inhale and exhale. The important point I am trying to make is that all N95 mask are designed to protect the user on inhale.

The false message some healthcare professionals are putting out there could be dangerous in a few ways.

1. It might discourage healthy people from wearing a N95 mask that could help protect them.

2. It could lead sick people who purchased N95 masks with valve to expose others by thinking their mask is filtering their exhaled air.

3. If the message sinks in to a majority that only sick people are to wear N95 mask in public, it could stigmatize people who wear them as all being sick. (That may be a good thing if you want people to keep their distance).

Thanks for the input. I guess the part that upsets me most is when the Healthcare "Professionals" try to diseminate the message that the N95 mask don't provide any protection for the user. As you pointed out, some N95 mask may provide protection both during inhale and exhale. The important point I am trying to make is that all N95 mask are designed to protect the user on inhale.

The false message some healthcare professionals are putting out there could be dangerous in a few ways.

1. It might discourage healthy people from wearing a N95 mask that could help protect them.

2. It could lead sick people who purchased N95 masks with valve to expose others by thinking their mask is filtering their exhaled air.

3. If the message sinks in to a majority that only sick people are to wear N95 mask in public, it could stigmatize people who wear them as all being sick. (That may be a good thing if you want people to keep their distance).
The healthcare people are trying to tell people the truth. People do not want to hear it. The mask does next to nothing. If the one with a mask in "exposed" to someone who is spreading the virus by any method they are putting it all over. The mask will NOT protect the wearer when they touch their eye, nose, mouth, food and such. To protect themselves in public places they would have to wear a complete suit. When they took the suit off they would have to use precautions since the exterior of the suit is contaminated. Again many do not want to hear this but the mask is all but worthless on it's own. So those in panic again do not want to hear this.
People who are scared need to pay far more attention to their hands. EVERY surface you touch may have virus on it. Get it on your hands and you touch eye's nose, food, drink, before washing and you now have the virus. If you are wearing a mask and someone who is sick coughs on you the mask is now contaminated. As are you and your clothing. What happens when you take the mask off? You now have it on your hands. This is why health care people are trying to tell people running around looking for masks is doing nothing for them.

The healthcare people are trying to tell people the truth. People do not want to hear it. The mask does next to nothing. If the one with a mask in "exposed" to someone who is spreading the virus by any method they are putting it all over. The mask will NOT protect the wearer when they touch their eye, nose, mouth, food and such. To protect themselves in public places they would have to wear a complete suit. When they took the suit off they would have to use precautions since the exterior of the suit is contaminated. Again many do not want to hear this but the mask is all but worthless on it's own. So those in panic again do not want to hear this.
People who are scared need to pay far more attention to their hands. EVERY surface you touch may have virus on it. Get it on your hands and you touch eye's nose, food, drink, before washing and you now have the virus. If you are wearing a mask and someone who is sick coughs on you the mask is now contaminated. As are you and your clothing. What happens when you take the mask off? You now have it on your hands. This is why health care people are trying to tell people running around looking for masks is doing nothing for them.
I agree it's a package deal, eye protection, hygiene, etc. To say the mask will do nothing ignores the design of the mask. If the N95 masks did nothing but protect the parts I work on from me exhaling on them, then I suffered a lot of discomfort over the years for nothing.

I see your point about other avenues for infection but the N95 mask will prevent some airborne droplets from other peoples exhales (ie, sneezing, coughing). The mask and eyewear will also reduce the chances that you touch your eyes, mouth or nose before sanitizing your hands.

There is little downside to wearing personal protective gear if you have go out in a pandemic environment. It's not a magic shield but it is one more tool to reduce exposure.

If the healthcare professionals are correct that the mask only protect on the exhale (they aren't) then we should all be wearing them in public so we reduce the amount of droplets that are being dispersed by us out there.

Edit: Since many infected are asymptomatic for days or weeks, it could help, if the mask are designed to filter on the exhale, like Surgical N95 masks might be.

If the healthcare professionals are correct that the mask only protect on the exhale (they aren't) then we should all be wearing them in public so we reduce the amount of droplets that are being dispersed by us out there.

Edit: Since many infected are asymptomatic for days or weeks, it could help, if the mask are designed to filter on the exhale, like Surgical N95 masks might be.
Again this would do nothing. The people who are caring and spreading often do not even know. So the entire population is going to wear a mask? Even if they did this would do zero. The people have it all over their hands. This becomes a waste of time as most just do not want to hear it. They are told to panic so they no longer listen to anything other than what they want to hear. The only way to "stay safe" would be to not be around any other humans. This is why you can't buy masks or hand sanitizer. People have been told to panic and they no longer hear anything else. People are going to get it or they will not. The mask will do nothing, just like the professionals say but many do not want to hear that and will never hear it. So they run around waiting for the sky to fall. Every person you run into may well be spreading the virus and have no idea. Anyone who gets it will often not have a clue they even have it for many days. Yet people continue to tell themselves they need a mask. <shrug>

The best protective equipment in the world will do nothing for you if you are not trained in, and using proper contamination control techniques and procedures. Even with training and experience, the skills are perishable and must be practiced.

ETA - the theory that the masks protect others from contamination by the wearer is totally bogus. Masks with an exhalation valve do not filter exhaled air, vapors or particulate. They only protect the wearer.

Again this would do nothing. The people who are caring and spreading often do not even know. So the entire population is going to wear a mask? Even if they did this would do zero. The people have it all over their hands. This becomes a waste of time as most just do not want to hear it. They are told to panic so they no longer listen to anything other than what they want to hear. The only way to "stay safe" would be to not be around any other humans. This is why you can't buy masks or hand sanitizer. People have been told to panic and they no longer hear anything else. People are going to get it or they will not. The mask will do nothing, just like the professionals say but many do not want to hear that and will never hear it. So they run around waiting for the sky to fall. Every person you run into may well be spreading the virus and have no idea. Anyone who gets it will often not have a clue they even have it for many days. Yet people continue to tell themselves they need a mask. <shrug>
I understand your postion. For some people it's easier to ignore an issue rather then confront it. The CDC definitely sees value in the N95 mask, and I value it too. The N95 mask has saved my lungs from a great deal of grief over the years. While the N95 mask has shortcomings as you eluded to, it is certainly not a do nothing product.

I work in Healthcare and we are getting very regular reports from the CDC at my facility. Best advice to prevent infections? WASH YOUR HANDS! WASH YOUR HANDS! WASH YOUR HANDS! Stomper has said this better. :eek:

IMO - The 'mask thing' and anti-hysteria attempts were all about covering up for a poor, "walmart style" of inventory control. The "refill when you're low" method of just-in-time re-supply that allows big box stores to profit from timely deliveries.
Well - that may work on a day to day, but apparently this supply ideology has ingrained itself into larger institutions and agencies. Which is apparently disastrous.
It also revealed a horrific supply and re-supply situation. It's not about the efficacy of a mask.
Remember - in times like this - all communication to us, 'masses' will be at the attention level of a 5th grader. They are dealing with cattle now - not people.

The best protective equipment in the world will do nothing for you if you are not trained in, and using proper contamination control techniques and procedures. Even with training and experience, the skills are perishable and must be practiced.

ETA - the theory that the masks protect others from contamination by the wearer is totally bogus. Masks with an exhalation valve do not filter exhaled air, vapors or particulate. They only protect the wearer.
Alexx1401 had a good point about somebody sneezing on your mask and that causing a second avenue for infection. My opinion is that masked saved you from the first avenue of infection and you now have an opportunity to prevent the second avenue by going through the right process of decontaminating yourself. Under the same circumstances if you didnt have the mask the first avenue of infection could have been indefensible. I agree the planning and training with the whole package and process is key.

Another thing to think about is that the average American can't digest the lengthy explanation that was discussed on this thread (handling, contamination via multiple routes, etc.). The CDC has to try and chop the message down to a bite size chunk at a literacy level for the masses (5th grade or below).

"The masks don't work" is the best they can do.

Another thing to think about is that the average American can't digest the lengthy explanation that was discussed on this thread (handling, contamination via multiple routes, etc.). The CDC has to try and chop the message down to a bite size chunk at a literacy level for the masses (5th grade or below).

"The masks don't work" is the best they can do.
If their message was that simple and based on some facts that they don't work, I would appreciate that. The message we are getting instead is that the mask don't work for the average Jack or Jill unless you are sick, caring for somebody that is sick or you work in healthcare or Gov. If you read the CDC info on N95 mask they believe they can be effective at reducing the risk of infection (respirator section is below gowns and gloves section):

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top