JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now cover it in gravel and cement and you won't have to mow. At least that was our plan for the property when we started. Rock, cement and asphalt are easy to maintain. Still fighting blackberries and English ivy that we planted for groundcover that got away - poor planning. Good luck on your range!

Now cover it in gravel and cement and you won't have to mow. At least that was our plan for the property when we started. Rock, cement and asphalt are easy to maintain. Still fighting blackberries and English ivy that we planted for groundcover that got away - poor planning. Good luck on your range!

This is more or less temporary. I don't plan to live here for more than 3 to 7 years and this is just a small part of a larger area that I want to more or less look like a park, not a formal range. The clearing project is to make about 4 acres (out of 17) around the house easier to maintain.

When I retire I am going to sell this place and the next buyer would wonder why there is a graveled/paved area in the middle of the woods.

My next place, I would look for a better/safer shooting lane with at least 100 yards of range.

This is more or less temporary. I don't plan to live here for more than 3 to 7 years and this is just a small part of a larger area that I want to more or less look like a park, not a formal range. The clearing project is to make about 4 acres (out of 17) around the house easier to maintain.

When I retire I am going to sell this place and the next buyer would wonder why there is a graveled/paved area in the middle of the woods.

My next place, I would look for a better/safer shooting lane with at least 100 yards of range.
More or less a joke, since it really hasn't worked for us. You could put an obelisk in the middle and really have people wondering.

More or less a joke, since it really hasn't worked for us. You could put an obelisk in the middle and really have people wondering.

I like that idea. A 20 foot tall concrete obelisk with some made up symbols on it. Confuse the heck out of people. Especially if they buy without looking at every inch before they sign... that would make for a funny addition to the Strange Things Found in the Woods thread.

I can see it now... each side has a different theme. One side is nautical and has ships heading for whirlpools and eels coming out of caves. Another side has a rabbit scurrying for a den, and maybe a snake doing the same. Another side could have people being sucked into the earth... generally just pictures of things going into holes.

I don't know why I imagine pictographs like that on an obylisk, but for some reason it seems to fit.

I like that idea. A 20 foot tall concrete obelisk with some made up symbols on it. Confuse the heck out of people. Especially if they buy without looking at every inch before they sign... that would make for a funny addition to the Strange Things Found in the Woods thread.
I can see it now... each side has a different theme. One side is nautical and has ships heading for whirlpools and eels coming out of caves. Another side has a rabbit scurrying for a den, and maybe a snake doing the same. Another side could have people being sucked into the earth... generally just pictures of things going into holes.

I don't know why I imagine pictographs like that on an obylisk, but for some reason it seems to fit.

Ooookaaay. I declare this thread officially off the tracks. :D

Don't forget the goat pit.

Maybe just one of these loaded with the aforementioned Tri-tips would be best;) 967FF70C-664A-4744-9EDE-65A76D6BA466-200-0000003B69249430_tmp.jpg

D300C765-7789-4FEA-B98C-872382691EC4-200-0000003BEC47DAA4_tmp.jpg

If you think about it, it'll come to you. :rolleyes:

Inaugurated the range just now. Tried out the new Federal 275 grain Barnes Expander ammo.

Quite a bit more recoil than the Hornady 200 grain ammo.

But what gives here? The 200 grain has much more energy and much more velocity, it is more powerful right? So why the huge recoil and blast from the 275?

Just kidding.

Just pointing out that you can't go purely by the numbers - the effectiveness of a projectile depends a lot on the design of the bullet and what you are shooting at. I am sure that 200 gr. FTX is quite effective on deer sized animals at 2200 fps. The 275 grain at a measly 1700 fps is probably quite effective on moose sized animals, maybe even a brown bear. I would like to someday try a range of ammo out on pigs of various size and ages.

As long as a bullet penetrates to cause damage to vital organs and/or breaks locomotion bones (or spine) and has some sharp edges from expansion to cut blood vessels/nerves, it doesn't really matter what the speed/energy/mass was - those are means to an end - I don't believe in the "energy shock" paradigm - seen too many animals run away when poorly hit with magnum rifles - they didn't know they were supposed fall over dead from the high energy, even though the bullet blew up inside them.

Anyway - the 460 recoiled quite a bit more, but did not make my hand numb like shooting my .44 mag 329PD does (with any load). Of course, the 460V weighs twice as much and has a compensator/brake.

Was in a gun shop today and guy next to me points to a Desert Eagle in .357 mag and says "that will tear your hand off". Like a fool I disagreed and explained that it was primarily mass that will determine the recoil (both the gun and the projectile). The DE in 357 weighs a half pound more than my 460V and shoots a much less powerful cartridge - it would be a pussycat. My 460V is a pussycat compared to my 329PD which is half the weight of the much larger/heavier 460V.

Indeed - the worst recoiling handgun I ever shot was a Grendel .380 P10 - it bruised my hands.

Which brings me back to my test of the 275 grain ammo - as I said, no numbing, but the pebble texture of the grips rubbed the pad at the base of my thumb a bit. Going to sand that down.

Needs a little longer range than that gotta have a gong ya know, and a table with a buffalo hide on it. LOL :D
G

Maybe next time. When I retire I will move and having a better shooting lane is one of the things I will look for. The longest dimension of my current plot is one thousand feet, but I would have to cut down a bunch of trees to even see that far, plus it the slope drops off so I could not see more than maybe 150 to 200 yards even if it was clear. My next property won't be so steep.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top