JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
35l70j8.jpg

I am clearing/leveling some of my land, and in some areas I am pushing the brush and dirt into piles near the edge of a gully on my property.

It occurred to me that one area I was doing this at would make a decent impromptu range since I would be shooting downward into the gully (more or less) and there are no houses visible in that direction (there are some gullies and hills beyond my property in that direction).

I can get about 50 yards back from the backstop.

Granted, not much of a backstop for height, but it is better than what I used before.

It took about three hours but I uprooted a 120+ year old cedar stump. It was 8' tall and about 5' across at the base. Had to cut it down to about 2' tall - could not get it to uproot by hitting as high as I could raise the blade, and could not get it by going low, although I saw the base move when I hit it high.

So once it was cut, I then cut into the top of the stump and quartered it as far down as my 30" bar would go, and then lifted one corner of a quarter and it came out. Then I was able to get the rest of it - half of it stayed together even though I had cut on that. Then I dug up the roots as much as possible.

Getting to the point where I am getting most of the ground cleared of brush, small trees, limbs and roots, so probably take the rake off today and start leveling.

Moved the stump over to the range. The upper portion of it will probably make an ok chunk of wood to staple targets to.

bgr41c.jpg

It took about three hours but I uprooted a 120+ year old cedar stump. It was 8' tall and about 5' across at the base. Had to cut it down to about 2' tall - could not get it to uproot by hitting as high as I could raise the blade, and could not get it by going low, although I saw the base move when I hit it high.

So once it was cut, I then cut into the top of the stump and quartered it as far down as my 30" bar would go, and then lifted one corner of a quarter and it came out. Then I was able to get the rest of it - half of it stayed together even though I had cut on that. Then I dug up the roots as much as possible.

Getting to the point where I am getting most of the ground cleared of brush, small trees, limbs and roots, so probably take the rake off today and start leveling.

Moved the stump over to the range. The upper portion of it will probably make an ok chunk of wood to staple targets to.

View attachment 374691
Isn't it great to have your own 'dozer?

Isn't it great to have your own 'dozer?

Yes, for one week. I thought about having someone come in and do this work, and I am sure they would do it better and faster than I can, but I would have to stand there and tell them what I want done at each area, and they probably would not do it exactly the way I want to do it, plus it would cost about the same.

Yes, for one week. I thought about having someone come in and do this work, and I am sure they would do it better and faster than I can, but I would have to stand there and tell them what I want done at each area, and they probably would not do it exactly the way I want to do it, plus it would cost about the same.
Plus you got to drive the dozer. :)

Some gravel might be nice for the mud season. Don't get round pea gravel.
And drag some logs so you can chainsaw up a pimpin bench at the firing line.

Plus you got to drive the dozer. :)

Hey - I'm learning a new job skill right? :rolleyes:

Except for the results, it gets old pretty quick. I do like the results - I get excited when I can uproot a stump or a tree that I don't want - e.g., the maple saplings that grow out of their stumps in big bush clumps - I just got rid of the last one on the upper acreage, although it will grow back (I need to spray them).

Hey - I'm learning a new job skill right? :rolleyes:

Except for the results, it gets old pretty quick. I do like the results - I get excited when I can uproot a stump or a tree that I don't want - e.g., the maple saplings that grow out of their stumps in big bush clumps - I just got rid of the last one on the upper acreage, although it will grow back (I need to spray them).

You can always save the saplings for your bonsai farm :)

Some gravel might be nice for the mud season. Don't get round pea gravel.
And drag some logs so you can chainsaw up a pimpin bench at the firing line.

It will be covered in grass/etc. before the rainy season and by next spring I will need a machete to walk thru it. While the ground gets saturated over the winter, it doesn't get muddy unless you try to drive thru it. I have grass and ferns that is taller than I am. This is one major reason why I am doing this; to level the ground so my flail mower doesn't get stuck and I can then mow it in a day or two, instead of spending almost every summer weekend battling it.

What I will do is drive my flatbed truck to the shooting line and put a bench on it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top