JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have tried out 4 different tire types in the past 5 years on a 2014 Ram 1500 and a 2005 GMC Yukon.

Both vehicles were used to go into the woods fairly often and also used as daily commuters to work, so I like aggressive AT or mild MT tires.

The four types I used:

Cooper ST MAXX

View attachment 563576

Cooper Discoverer AT/3:

View attachment 563577

Milestar Patagonia MT:

View attachment 563578

And currently running the Goodyear Duratrac:

View attachment 563579

My favorite tire out of all of them so far, believe it or not, was the Patagonia MT. It and the Cooper ST Maxx were about even for the best in snow (I did get the Patagonias siped) and off-road use. The Duratracs were disappointing this past winter, despite getting rave reviews for snow traction.

The Patagonias were also not that loud on the pavement. Certainly no louder than the Duratracs, while being pretty darn cheap at about $150 each.

The Discoverer AT/3s weren't bad in the summer and in the rocks and dirt, but not very good in the snow at all and seemed to wear fast than I liked.

The ST Maxx tire was the best all around tire, but they are expensive at over $250 a tire.

Not sure what I'll try next. Either another set of the Patagonias, or the Kumho AT51, which are getting great reviews, especially for snow and wet conditions and run pretty cheap at around $150 a tire.

View attachment 563580

The Discoverer and the ST Maxx look like something I would use. And I think Commercial Tire has Cooper tires locally. Not sure if either them or LS would mount tires I bought online. I'm guessing business is business tho. We only have the two for local tires, or travel 1hr to Walmart in Pendleton.

Open Country ATs are good tires. Had a set that came on a `92 F250 I bought years ago. Replaced them with bigger and more aggressive Wild Country TXRs and gave the Toyos to my dad for his F350. He loved them and said they wore great.

His last set for his Chevy dually was the Toyo M55. Good looking tire and he was mostly happy with them, but said they wore a bit too fast despite the harder compound. He's due to replace them and not sure what he'll go with, but definately nothing from LS.

The Discoverer and the ST Maxx look like something I would use. And I think Commercial Tire has Cooper tires locally. Not sure if either them or LS would mount tires I bought online. I'm guessing business is business tho. We only have the two for local tires, or travel 1hr to Walmart in Pendleton.

I had LS mount the last four sets of tires I bought online. I just had to take them to a different LS to get them re-balanced.

I'll usually check out www.tirerack.com for good deals and to see how the various tires are rated...

tirerack1.JPG

Open Country ATs are good tires. Had a set that came on a `92 F250 I bought years ago. Replaced them with bigger and more aggressive Wild Country TXRs and gave the Toyos to my dad for his F350. He loved them and said they wore great.

His last set for his Chevy dually was the Toyo M55. Good looking tire and he was mostly happy with them, but said they wore a bit too fast despite the harder compound. He's due to replace them and not sure what he'll go with, but definately nothing from LS. And I've had Goodyear Wrangler on a different Cherokee.

I had LS mount the last four sets of tires I bought online. I just had to take them to a different LS to get them re-balanced.

I'll usually check out www.tirerack.com for good deals and to see how the various tires are rated...

View attachment 563634

Thanx!

I'm seeing Open Country ATII listed at LS for $203/ but also from Walmart at $118/tire. Wow, big difference.

I'll be looking at that chart. I haven't been to the tirerack site since I was looking for tires for my Toyota. I wound up getting some Yokahama tires on rims from the local wrecking yard, 5 for $300, they were ok. Swapped the steel rims out for my winter studded tires and kept the aluminum rims for summer use with the Yokahamas. I also had good luck with Bridgestone on my Cherokee (30yrs ago).

They are not the company they used to be I was a loyal customer for over 25yrs
No more they suck and can go running eff them
I go to discount tire your in and out in less than and hour and they don't try to sell you sh!t

Tirerack.com has Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT for $116... just gotta see if the have them in the size I need (I forget:oops:). (Edit: 225x85x16, not that it matters ;))

Last Edited:
When I was there last.
Let's not forget. All the locations are run by different store managers. Nothing is what it used to be. But those that live in nicer places have better experiences with LS.
There are at least 5 Les Schwabs in the Beaverton/Hillsboro area, some in "Nice Places". Not one of them run out to your car. Hell, even the one in Wilsonville doesn't do it. If their service was good and they weren't a bunch of liars doing shoddy work then I could forgive that. When they stopped doing that is when I noticed the service went down hill real fast.

I still won't ever go back.

There are at least 5 Les Schwabs in the Beaverton/Hillsboro area, some in "Nice Places". Not one of them run out to your car. Hell, even the one in Wilsonville doesn't do it. If there service was good and they weren't a bunch of liars doing shoddy work then I could forgive that. When they stopped doing that is when I noticed the service went down hill real fast.

I still won't ever go back.
I kinda meant nice places like other than Portland metro area.
More like eastern Oregon and Idaho.

When was the last time you went to a Les Schwab and had them run out to your car to greet you?

Guys in Keizer did.

Guys in Salem did, mostly*.

Guys in Medford do.

*, if they weren't all tied up, either checking in customers or working on stuff. As I would expect. Wouldn't want them to stop anything on ours rigs to go help someone else...

I love LS!
They treat me right every time.
Do I pay more? Probably so.
I'm loyal.
And I drive a Toyota.
So I don't issues like all you dodge guys do! Dodge wheel studs are notorious for falling off.
Lol!!!
Sorry. But they've done free work for me
A lot!!!
And they've got the best koolaid ever!

jk

True unless you know what you are talking about or know what's wrong with your car.
They will take advantage of you.

Exactly!!!!
I took one of my cars in for an alignment, their recommendation due to tire wear, the desk jockey gave me a printout of all the parts that needed replaced....
I told him I wanted a second opinion & he said good luck making it to Olympia in that car.... WTF!!!! He said they are critical parts..... I left in disgust, took it to Olympia to a fishing buddies place of employment, was told that all it needed was a simple alignment, nothing wrong with parts mentioned on invoice from Swabbers..... I thanked them & made a B-line to Swabbers. I see the little twerp desk jockey, point & motion him over silently, tell him he needs to get the manager & we need to have a talk.
The situation was intense and was handled to my satisfaction. The desk jockey & the alignment tech were fired for scheming to make sales for whatever nefarious reasons.
Bubblegum Swabbers, I made it my life's work to keep people from gracing their doorway. :mad::mad::mad:

As bad as LS is, the Point S chain we have over here might be even worse. I tried to shop local but too many strikes has made me give up. I bought my own balancer and I'm on the hunt for a changer. I'll be buying my tires online from now on. I've been on both sides of the equation and have decided I just can't be a customer when it comes to automotive related transactions.

It's all about location. I'm sure every brand has bad locations.

We send work I cant do to point s because they dont dick anyone around AND they're half the price of Schwab.

I'd steer towards discount, or even better (shameless plug) Costco. I know our wait times can be steep, but the value is there.

https://twentytwowords.com/schools-remove-analog-clocks-kids-cant-read/
Schools Remove Analog Clocks Because Kids Can't Read Them

Three out of four sets were balanced impropery and had to be taken to the Pullman Les Schwab to be re-balanced.
Twice now, they have not properly tightened the center caps after rotating the tire and one flew off on the highway.
Had them rotate the tires yesterday and when I got home, checked the centercaps. One was loose and a screw was missing completely.
Checked the rest of the center caps and all needed tightening and at least two screws out of six on each cap was stripped.
They apparently overtightened the screws and stripped out the aluminum wheel threads. They can't be fixed.

I use discount tires.

Twice the service and half the price...

Cost me nothing to replace 2 tires blown out by hitting something in the road and $16 to put each new tire back under warrenty.

They are cheaper then Costco as well.

Grew up eating that popcorn , naturally started my driving life through them . Learned to hate them and all their petty bs, less about the happiness of the customer and more about the ducats....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top