JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

41 yr old husband and father of 2. I'm new to firearms but looking to get educated. My interest is mostly for fun with home defense as a backup. I lean left on my politics but right on rights. Easy going and eager to learn for myself and to help educate my boys on safety, responsibility and function. I believe all americans should know how to shoot despite being late to the game myself.

Welcome. As long as you support the right to keep and bear arms, you are welcome here, regardless of your other political leanings. This is a fun, healthy, and addictive hobby, and there is a wealth of knowledge here, along with a diverse group of people. :)

Welcome aboard.

I believe that there are some of the finest and most helpful people on this forum, some may even volunteer their time to help get you some firearm education. I'm not too familiar with what's up in the PdX area for classes but I know there are some.

Last Edited:
Any suggestions on location to take a class or specific classes? My exp. so far with stores has been a mixed bag at best.

Not up by you. Perhaps start a thread asking such a question, with your general local & such.

Down by me (Salem) I've taken simple introductory classes and concealed handgun for Oregon & Utah.

The simple introductory class was perfect for me, took it at Tritac (Salem). It was half classroom, the other half live fire with your own pistol or a rental. First time as an adult I fired a pistol...I think I only fired 2 magazines that class!

Classroom was pretty much just basic handgun/firearm safety, with fieldstrip instruction.

If you've never fired indoors before I highly recommend double ear protection. Earbuds + earmuffs.

That's what we now use standard everytime we shoot (outdoors) as the earmuffs are those electronic ones which allow you to hear instruction (and listen to music...). The earbuds are just an extra layer of ear protection.

The concealed handgun was for the legalities & how to fill out the paperwork correctly. Took that with Jacobe group in Salem.

Once your comfortable with firearms. Look into appleseed for rifle. We've yet to take a course due to scheduling, but they come highly recommended from folks on this sight. Very reasonably priced, especially for what you would learn.

Careful though, firearms can be spendy yet incredibly rewarding! Just spent a few hours at the range with a friend this morning, and between us we likely went thru a case (1000rds) of 9mm ammunition. :)

Last Edited:
Not up by you. Perhaps start a thread asking such a question, with your general local & such.

Down by me (Salem) I've taken simple introductory classes and concealed handgun for Oregon & Utah.

The simple introductory class was perfect for me, took it at Tritac (Salem). It was half classroom, the other half live fire with your own pistol or a rental. First time as an adult I fired a pistol...I think I only fired 2 magazines that class!

Classroom was pretty much just basic handgun/firearm safety, with fieldstrip instruction.

If you've never fired indoors before I highly recommend double ear protection. Earbuds + earmuffs.

That's what we now use standard everytime we shoot (outdoors) as the earmuffs are those electronic ones which allow you to hear instruction (and listen to music...). The earbuds are just an extra layer of ear protection.

The concealed handgun was for the legalities & how to fill out the paperwork correctly. Took that with Jacobe group in Salem.

Once your comfortable with firearms. Look into appleseed for rifle. We've yet to take a course due to scheduling, but they come highly recommended from folks on this sight. Very reasonably priced, especially for what you would learn.

Careful though, firearms can be spendy yet incredibly rewarding! Just spent a few hours at the range with a friend this morning, and between us we likely went thru a case (1000rds) of 9mm ammunition. :)

Thanks for the tips!

Welcome to the forum.
Lots of great folks here.
I know we are far apart but , if you ever have a desire to shoot or learn about original ( antique ) muzzle loaders let me know.
I have a few and love to show 'em off and shoot them.
Andy

Welcome to the forum.
Lots of great folks here.
I know we are far apart but , if you ever have a desire to shoot or learn about original ( antique ) muzzle loaders let me know.
I have a few and love to show 'em off and shoot them.
Andy
Thanks for the offer, next time I'm up that way if I have time I'll reach out!

Welcome. Lots of nice people here. In the PDX area there are lots of classes. I've taken 2 classes with 540 Tactical. https://www.540tactical.com/
I felt James was a very good instructor that kept safety first. Lots of experience under his belt too. After I took one of his classes, I went back and took a second one with my wife. And I'm looking forward to taking more when I can afford to.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews