JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here is what I'm planning on submitting;

To whom it may concern;

The proposed caption for Initiative Petition 2018-043, proposed for the November 6, 2018, General Election does not meet the requirements of the Oregon State Constitution which requires that initiative measures address only one subject:

"Article IV, Section 1(d):

An initiative petition shall include the full text of the proposed law or amendment to the Constitution. A proposed law or amendment to the Constitution shall embrace one subject only and matters properly connected therewith"

Initiative Petition 2018-043 addresses two separate subjects, those being the possession of a certain class of firearms, and the possession of a certain class of firearm magazines which may or may not be applicable to the aforementioned class of firearms, and may be relevant to an entirely different class of firearms. If an elector desires to approve only one subject or the other he or she must approve both.

Further, Initiative Petition 2018-043 violates ORS 250.035:

(2)The ballot title of any state measure to be initiated or referred shall consist of:

(a)A caption of not more than 15 words that reasonably identifies the subject matter of the state measure. The caption of an initiative or referendum amendment to the Constitution shall begin with the phrase, "Amends Constitution," which shall not be counted for purposes of the 15-word caption limit;

Initiative Petition 2018-043 uses the ambiguous and emotionally charged term "assault weapon". While the full text of the measure goes on to define what petitioners believe constitutes an "assault weapon", the general public has been indoctrinated to believe that "assault weapons", whatever they might actually be, are intrinsically evil. There are numerous definitions of the term "assault weapon" that have been routinely explained in the media, in previous legislation, and in public debate for decades. These definitions vary wildly in their scope and meaning, and the design features covered. The use of the term "assault weapons" in this ballot caption is misleading and plays upon the emotional responses of the voters.

For these reasons, the proposed ballot caption for Initiative Petition 2018-043 should be rejected and revised.

A more accurate ballot title could be as follows:

"Criminalizes possession of most semi-automatic handguns, rifles, shotguns, and their magazines; exceptions"

Sincerely;

I'm looking for everyone's imput, how does it look?

""Criminalizes possession of most semi-automatic handguns, rifles, shotguns, and their magazines; exceptions""

The text of IP43 for reference:
http://oregonvotes.org/irr/2018/043text.pdf

These may not affect the ballot title:
IP43 criminalizes not just possession, but transfer as well, including the manufacture, importation, purchase, sale, or transfer of AWs or magazines.

IP43 requires that we show that AWs are securely stored per existing law. Section 5, part 4(a) appears to be an open-ended clause that allows the Dept of State Police to make up rules and regulations on proper storage. How much could that cost us?

Not related to the title, but does section 5, part 4D mean we can still shoot at a place like Brown's Camp gravel pit, or not?

I find nothing in IP43 that says how they will pay for all the computer systems, monitoring, updating the registry, bureaucracy, etc that IP43 will require.

I'm thinking it might be time to move. :mad:

Well I scanned a signed coppy and I emailed it out today only leaving out the last part as recommended by Ura-Ki and I mailed a hard copy as well to Salem. Might as well begin to type up more comments.

""Criminalizes possession of most semi-automatic handguns, rifles, shotguns, and their magazines; exceptions""

The text of IP43 for reference:
http://oregonvotes.org/irr/2018/043text.pdf

These may not affect the ballot title:
IP43 criminalizes not just possession, but transfer as well, including the manufacture, importation, purchase, sale, or transfer of AWs or magazines.

IP43 requires that we show that AWs are securely stored per existing law. Section 5, part 4(a) appears to be an open-ended clause that allows the Dept of State Police to make up rules and regulations on proper storage. How much could that cost us?

Not related to the title, but does section 5, part 4D mean we can still shoot at a place like Brown's Camp gravel pit, or not?

I find nothing in IP43 that says how they will pay for all the computer systems, monitoring, updating the registry, bureaucracy, etc that IP43 will require.

I'm thinking it might be time to move. :mad:
Rather than "us law-abiding gun owners" worrying about moving and giving up tens of thousands of dollars in fees to sell and put our stuff in a big truck to leave this beautiful state, why not try hand at an initiative that mandates gun ownership? It could be unenforced to eliminate budget concerns, but it makes a strong statement and can help with statistics for crime before and after. In this American town, guns are required by law - CNN

Initiative Petition 2018-043 uses the ambiguous and emotionally charged term "assault weapon". While the full text of the measure goes on to define what petitioners believe constitutes an "assault weapon", the general public has been indoctrinated to believe that "assault weapons", whatever they might actually be, are intrinsically evil. There are numerous definitions of the term "assault weapon" that have been routinely explained in the media, in previous legislation, and in public debate for decades. These definitions vary wildly in their scope and meaning, and the design features covered. The use of the term "assault weapons" in this ballot caption is misleading and plays upon the emotional responses of the voters.

This is the key. I like it!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR