JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Absolutely. The flow of 80% receivers wasn't nearly as affected as the frames, but it all turned out to be much ado over nothing, anyway. Brandon got the "L" and both are... as they should be... fully legal to purchase in OR and delivered to your doorstep.

Just don't say it so loud. Some of our WA brothers and sisters are still a bit prickly about that one. Be sensitive! ;)
I don't like AR's. I have no interest in AR's. I have no use for AR's. So I only bought a Spike 9mm stripped receiver and a Spike stripped 5.56 receiver from Sportsman's Warehouse. I figure if I get addicted I will buy some 80% receivers.

Never would have bought one if it wasn't for all the Californian anti-gunners.

Of course I had to pick up a dozen hicap magazines to go along with them.
Haha. Respect! Gotta enjoy someone for knowing what they like. Do what you want!

1668886309824.png

1668886431382.png

1668886468786.png

Aloha, Mark

Your budget is more than doable. I'm not sure what specific advise you are looking for, but it looks like you're well and good on the right track. A 7075-T6 lower is really what you want. A 16" or 18" barrel is on track. I might go 16" if you plan to use a silencer at some point. 18" has some very slight advantagous, but if you're looking for a no frills SD rifle at typical man sized target ranges a 16" will do you. Personally, I don't think the 18" makes enough difference to be worth the 2"'s. I would do a 16" or 20"+ build... if I wanted any longer barrel advantages.

Most any barrel you go with will be threaded by default.

And yes... 80% are a great option, IMHO. No SSN or FFL required... however... you will need a jig to complete one. That might blow your overall budget since they can run you $200-$400ish. For a one time build I would go with a stripped lower for economic reasons, but in light of 114, an 80% is the "better" option, IMHO, and ensures your ability to continue to build no matter what laws may come or go.

If the build bug bites you and this is only the first of many then staying with 80%'s and investing in a jig is a valid and wise choice, IMO. Jigs can pay for themselves in transfer/BGC fee savings alone in pretty quick order.
That whole experience of AR-15 shopping was actually totally mindblowing and surreal. I thought I was just staring at a screen for too long, or something, and I was kinda going crazy. I'm going from site to site, and suddenly one by one, manufacturers that I had just seen were ONLY selling stripped or fully assembled lower receivers, no 80%s could be found. One by one. And other stuff was suddenly all sold out. It was…. NOT an enjoyable experience seeing this whole collapse of a market and economic phenomena at 3am.

I've never been a big AR fan, preferring old school op-rod systems. (I'm old.) But I bought an SA Saint this year and built two more carbines from stripped lowers on general principle.
It's been a great learning experience. I figure the AR has become America's Musket and I should be so equipped.

Last Edited:
I have just one AR-15, a Windham Weaponry MPC-RF. Good quality rifle, and likely all I will ever need on the AR front. But I won't lie.....I kind of wish I had saved up for a LWRCI instead......God those are nice rifles.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top