JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
South Dakota Codified Law 22-14-15 says

No person who has been convicted in this state or elsewhere of a crime of violence or a felony pursuant to § 22-42-2 , 22-42-3 , 22-42-4 , 22-42-7 , 22-42-8 , 22-42-9 , 22-42-10 or 22-42-19 , may possess or have control of a firearm. A violation of this section is a Class 6 felony. The provisions of this section do not apply to any person who was last discharged from prison, jail, probation, or parole more than fifteen years prior to the commission of the principal offense.

I'm no lawyer, but it sounds to me like if you have been released from all supervision more than 15 years ago, then you'd be fine. Muzzle loader aspect irrelevant (although in my brief research, I think it i did see that the state of South Dakota does consider muzzle loaders a "firearm").

I would suggest though, that you contact an attorney. Or maybe even call the SD attorney generals office and ask them their legal opinion. They might give an interpretation. Not sure

South Dakota Codified Law 22-14-15 says

No person who has been convicted in this state or elsewhere of a crime of violence or a felony pursuant to § 22-42-2 , 22-42-3 , 22-42-4 , 22-42-7 , 22-42-8 , 22-42-9 , 22-42-10 or 22-42-19 , may possess or have control of a firearm. A violation of this section is a Class 6 felony. The provisions of this section do not apply to any person who was last discharged from prison, jail, probation, or parole more than fifteen years prior to the commission of the principal offense.

I'm no lawyer, but it sounds to me like if you have been released from all supervision more than 15 years ago, then you'd be fine. Muzzle loader aspect irrelevant (although in my brief research, I think it i did see that the state of South Dakota does consider muzzle loaders a "firearm").

I would suggest though, that you contact an attorney. Or maybe even call the SD attorney generals office and ask them their legal opinion. They might give an interpretation. Not sure
Ty

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads