JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I tried asking elsewhere and I am getting mixed results. I have a muzzleloader I would like to sell in WA yet I can not get a firm answer on if I need to go to an FFL or not. When I bought it several years, I got it online and they were able to ship it right to my house with no involvement of an FFL. Federally its not a firearm, but does Washington State consider it to be one? If it makes a difference its a CVA Optima NW Edition, which has the exposed musket cap. I also bought a 209 conversion kit for it and can now do both, but originally it was an exposed musket cap version if that makes a difference.

I tried asking elsewhere and I am getting mixed results. I have a muzzleloader I would like to sell in WA yet I can not get a firm answer on if I need to go to an FFL or not. When I bought it several years, I got it online and they were able to ship it right to my house with no involvement of an FFL. Federally its not a firearm, but does Washington State consider it to be one? If it makes a difference its a CVA Optima NW Edition, which has the exposed musket cap. I also bought a 209 conversion kit for it and can now do both, but originally it was an exposed musket cap version if that makes a difference.
Is there some relevant law that changed, prompting you to think you no longer can buy one online? The first muzzleloader online sales site I looked at made it sound like they were still selling direct to WA residents.

What I was told on another website is that Washington calls a muzzleloader a firearms because it does not meet the definition of a antique or a replica. I looked on a hunting forum and many posts are saying its illegal within the state to buy a muzzleloader without an FFL but it is often ignored because federally its legal.

What I was told on another website is that Washington calls a muzzleloader a firearms because it does not meet the definition of a antique or a replica. I looked on a hunting forum and many posts are saying its illegal within the state to buy a muzzleloader without an FFL but it is often ignored because federally its legal.
Not that I could find looking online. I do think WA has made it so felon's can't buy muzzleloaders, but that doesn't mean they all have to go through FFLs.

You can sell without going to any FFL. Blackpowder firearms are exempt unless they are built on a frame that takes modern cartridge barrels Interchangeably. You can also order them or sell and ship them, right to a buyers doorstep as long as the buyer is at least 18 yrs old.

Last Edited:
I "think" the confusion here is the way a "firearm" is defined. The Fed's do not consider these to be one. WA state does in as far as you can not carry or use one anyplace you can not use a modern firearm. You can still order one by mail in WA and have it sent to you though. So the state has not made the sales go through a dealer.

After re-reading the OP....

Federal law says no you don't
However Washington state law requires modern in-line muzzle loaders , such as the CVA in the OP , to have a BGC / FFL for a transfer.
Modern muzzle loaders like the CVA are not considered as antiques or replicas thereof in Washington state.
Thank you to those who voted for I-594 :rolleyes: :mad:

A CVA replica like their , so called "Hawken Rifle" will not require a FFL....
Since it is a copy ( sorta ) of an antique muzzle loading rifle.
Andy

Last Edited:
I have bought several modern ml rifles in the fairly recent past in the state of WA. One was bought at a brick and mortar store in WA and a couple were mail ordered. None required any ffl involvement. Unless there has been a very recent change I am unaware of, I believe they are unregulated.

Last Edited:
I just added a cva inline to my cart at Midway and began checkout to see and with one more push of a button, it would have been on the way to my door, so I am not sure what Andy speaks of? Midway usually errors on the side of caution and was well ahead of p80 curve. Evidently WA knows it is a toothless endeavor and is looking the other way maybe?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top