JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looks like Clackamas District Rangers just released a film for target shooters.

"Dumpstoppers estimates that more than half of the volume of this alarming amount of trash is tied to target shooting. In an attempt to minimize risk to property and human life and to reduce trash associated with target shooting, the Mt. Hood National Forest enacted the following Forest Order:"

1. No person shall place targets on trees or shoot trees for any purpose.
2. No person shall shoot across, from or along any road, trail or body of water.
3. No person shall shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person or property.
4. Persons engaged in target shooting shall remove from National Forest System land all shell casings, targets, and other debris resulting from their use.
5. Persons engaged in target shooting shall utilize an appropriately sized, natural backstop.
6. No person shall shoot targets other than those commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting, except for paper targets privately manufactured by the person or people engaging in target shooting.
7. No person shall shoot glass of any kind, appliances, furniture, vehicles or other debris determined to be garbage or refuse by an enforcing officer.
8. No person shall engage in shooting while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
9. Target shooting and other shooting related activity will be prohibited from one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise."

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mthood/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5422894

Last Edited:
Yeah, figured they'd lay down the law sooner or later. The ranger is right. It is a problem out there. Not just Mt Hood, but any forest land where shooting is allowed. Glad they put it in righting. Now they have a leg to stand on when they bust those who trash the land. I'd like to show up to a clean site, enjoy my shooting and leave it the way I found it, however, too many people just don't care and leave their mess. I hope they get busted! Period! :}

Bill

In the past, my son and I would shoot in an approved area of Lolo Pass Road. He fired his first shots with his .22 rifle there. We brought trashbags with us to police the area of our targets and throwaway trash. I handload, so I save my centerfire brass. With every visit, the area was progressively more trashed with appliances, computer monitors, furniture, beverage bottles, light bulbs, etc. The last time I was there with my son, he and I were checking our targets when a fool behind us fired an AK while we were downrange. That upset me, and we discussed that immediately. I returned once during the week, since it was more likely to be uncrowded, and noted with dismay that the place was a mess. I haven't gone back. My son is 22 now, a Navy veteran, and he conducts himself well with firearms. I do most of my shooting and load development at Tri-County Gun Club (Sherwood, OR). I must tell you, I prefer not to share my shooting environment with idiots.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top