JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it worth moving an 800lb safe to another state or should I just sell it locally and buy a new one there? I'm looking to move to Idaho and money will be tight, as my income will be cut probably by 2/3rds.

If you have the room in the truck i would say take it with you. You also say funds will be tight,this is another good reason to take it with you as it is to easy to divert funds to other areas.

Couple thoughts building on RLS' post of keeping it!
Is the safe strictly for thief and do you have the physical capability and vehicle to move the beast without paying for it?

What or where are you going to put it immediately upon arrival so you dont toddle about ID seeking a place to live?

If you need to engage outsiders to move the beastie from location to vehicle, at local and distant end, plus extra gas, sell it for a fair price.

If the safe is a fire safe and older, dump it as the material in it's walls have lost the moisture capability to protect documents or articles in the beastie!

Best on your move!

If it is 800lbs it must be a pretty good safe, weight isn't everything but usually in a safe it means thicker steel.

What brand/model is it?

If it is a quality well built safe I would would try everything to take it with you, if you sell it you may end up not being able to afford as good of a safe.

1) Is the potential useful value ~there~ of it compared to need ~here~ is the same???
2) After move, will you have enough to keep in it to make it worth the effort of cartage?

3) Is the 'peace of mind' having a good safe on your premises of value to you?
4) My observation of 'for-sale: Safe' listings, is many are difficult to sell for 50% of original cost.

Is it worth moving an 800lb safe to another state or should I just sell it locally and buy a new one there? I'm looking to move to Idaho and money will be tight, as my income will be cut probably by 2/3rds.
Using a U haul or such? Rent a dolly and get a couple guys to help and put the damn thing in the truck. Assuming you have guns and such? You will be glad you took the safe with you to the new place.

Penske rents trucks with lift gates. Makes it easy.

Depends how much you like it. I plan on being buried in my Liberty Colonial.

An 800 lb safe isn't that hard to move with a couple guys. You just have to know the right places to apply force for maximum leverage. Me and my BIL got mine out of a pickup and into position.

Thanks for the responses, guys. It's a Sturdy safe; it's a quality piece. I would be renting the largest box van I'm allowed to drive and packing as much stuff as possible. I've moved the safe into the back of my garage by myself. But loading and unloading into/from the van is a daunting task. I'm 170lbs myself, and my wife is tiny. Won't have any friends in ID.

Income cut be 2/3? Why move?
I put a high price on freedom.

Move it.

If using a rental, keep an eye on the weight capacity of the truck ( dealing with that now, and would be grossly over). Selling some stuff & multi-utility trailer loads of heavy "items" will bring us into the comfortable zone of the rental weight capacity. Don't want to risk an accident, & then be liable due to negligence.

Thanks for the responses, guys. It's a Sturdy safe; it's a quality piece. I would be renting the largest box van I'm allowed to drive and packing as much stuff as possible. I've moved the safe into the back of my garage by myself. But loading and unloading into/from the van is a daunting task. I'm 170lbs myself, and my wife is tiny. Won't have any friends in ID.

I put a high price on freedom.

Seek casual cash labourers in ID from labour union etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top