JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, global warming has fixed all that... haven't seen those kind of low temps in many years!!

It was a rare - the last time that happened was 1930. The low teens above zero are normal eastside, but not below zero and not minus 22. It lasted for a couple of weeks, and then warmed up into the teens which felt much better. Dealing with the ice on the road, hauling a two ton boat around on a trailer behind a pickup was not fun. Trying to find a boat ramp that we could put in at was a major hassle - most were iced up and even with a 4x4 any ramp was dangerous backing down to put the boat in.

Windy there too. The dust storms in the summer and cold wind in the winter are not fun. It was not my favorite time in the USCG.

Except right now it's closed to the public (but not RSOs) cuz of the COVID thang.

Interesting. Our local range is still open. Members only---no non member guests or people that are not members of your
immediate houshold, maintain distancing, and they shut off every otherbench at the rifle range to space people apart a bit more.
I've been 3 times since this crap hit, and bay usage has been 75% or so each time.

It was a rare - the last time that happened was 1930. The low teens above zero are normal eastside, but not below zero and not minus 22. It lasted for a couple of weeks, and then warmed up into the teens which felt much better. Dealing with the ice on the road, hauling a two ton boat around on a trailer behind a pickup was not fun. Trying to find a boat ramp that we could put in at was a major hassle - most were iced up and even with a 4x4 any ramp was dangerous backing down to put the boat in.

Windy there too. The dust storms in the summer and cold wind in the winter are not fun. It was not my favorite time in the USCG.

My wife was born here, she remembers temps well below zero and snow piled 10' high in the middle of the streets. I moved here in 1980, it snowed 6" on Memorial Day that year. Later on, I moved in with my current wife in 1984, it was -37 and we had a full blown ice storm that downed power lines. It was not unusual to have -20F here in those days.

However, we typically don't get less than -7 in the last few decades. But the last two years we haven't gone below zero. It is a welcome change. And any year I don't have to spend as much time shoveling out a place in the snow for the dog to go poop, or shoveling the driveway, is a good year! 4 years ago I slipped on icy tire ruts in the driveway and got a compression fracture at T12. I'd just as soon skip another one of those. ;)

Desert, for several years we wintered in AZ... but the Sonoran Desert is pretty much beautiful.

Welcome to Kennewick and NWFA. Another option for a place to shoot is TCMSA (Tri-Cities Metallic Silhouette Association, we used to be an IHMSA club). The dues are just $80 for the first year, $60 annually after with a $20 discount if you participate in work party or other service Volunteer. Range goes out to 200 yards with concrete benches and covered firing points. Lots more information online at tcmsa.org.
Meetings are the first Thursday of every month, or will be once King Jay ends his royal proclamation of shutting everything down to try to prevent the president's re-election.
You do need to belong to the NRA since that is a requirement for the club's liability insurance. Let me know if you need any help with reloading rifle ammo. Can't help with shotgun.

Hi folks, we moved out to Kennewick a few months back for a job and to get away from the Seattle-crazy. Once the COVID situation gets better it would be fantastic to meet up with folks out here and become part of the community.

I'm a pistol reloader but hoping to learn about rifle and 12 gauge reloading. I've watched tons of videos but I learn best by watching and being able to ask questions. I've got a .303 Lee Enfield, not sure which model as it's a Santa Fe sporterized model so all the original numbers and tell-tale bits were ground off. It came with a model 4 magazine but it doesn't feed correctly, so it's a single shot right now. It would be awesome to try magazines from other models before I buy one for it. Please let me know if you have one I can try.

I'd love to learn about good places to go for target practice out here. While I'm all for supporting the local ranges, etc. I can't afford to pay per hour range fees as often as I like to practice. I collect all the brass I find in hopes of eventually getting firearms which use them or to trade them for ones I can use. I reload .40 SW, .38 Spc. I also pick up trash, etc. others leave behind as much as I can. I've found a few spots out here but they're uncomfortably close to roads, super windy and more importantly on someone's property that I can't get a hold of to ask for permission.

I'd like to learn more about bushcraft, camping and hunting at some point. I like looking for tools, etc at garage sales and flea markets. I'm trying to learn to weld but so far my wire feed welder and I haven't come to an understanding yet... I work on my own equipment as much as possible and am very interested in machinist skills and wood working. I'm hoping to learn about metal casting at some point. My current incarnation is being a handyman fixing things, etc again and I'm happy to help wherever I can.

Cheers
You can get new reproduction mags for your enfield at sarco.com.

Welcome, Fez!
I live here as well, and I'm a RSO out at the Rattlesnake Range in Benton City.
Like @BillM said, it's only $50 for a whole year of shootin'. The range is open to the public W, F, Sa, Su from 0900 to 1500.
Except right now it's closed to the public (but not RSOs) cuz of the COVID thang.
Keep my info handy, and when this thang blows over, let's go shoot!
Thanks sobo! Will do.

Welcome Fez! I moved to Hermiston from the Portland area a few years ago and I love it over here!

I've got a few magazines from different models that you're welcome to try: No 1 Mk III, No 1 Mk VI, and No 4 Mk 2. Maybe we can meet up sometime after the current unpleasantness has passed.

Thanks Wierzbowski! That would be fantastic. :D

Welcome to Kennewick and NWFA. Another option for a place to shoot is TCMSA (Tri-Cities Metallic Silhouette Association, we used to be an IHMSA club). The dues are just $80 for the first year, $60 annually after with a $20 discount if you participate in work party or other service Volunteer. Range goes out to 200 yards with concrete benches and covered firing points. Lots more information online at tcmsa.org.
Meetings are the first Thursday of every month, or will be once King Jay ends his royal proclamation of shutting everything down to try to prevent the president's re-election.
You do need to belong to the NRA since that is a requirement for the club's liability insurance. Let me know if you need any help with reloading rifle ammo. Can't help with shotgun.
Thanks 2ndtimer. I'll definitely check it out. My wife's an NRA member but I haven't signed up yet. I'll definitely hit you up about reloading once the world's done mourning life as we knew it. o_O

Hmmm. Typo? The site that came up redirects to something else.
Well the company is called Sarco, I have ordered something from them before. I must have gotten the website's name wrong but if you just type sarco into your search engine it will come up. They send me e mails about sales they are having and I saw the enfield mags in the advert just a couple of days ago.

Hi folks, we moved out to Kennewick a few months back for a job and to get away from the Seattle-crazy. Once the COVID situation gets better it would be fantastic to meet up with folks out here and become part of the community.

I'm a pistol reloader but hoping to learn about rifle and 12 gauge reloading. I've watched tons of videos but I learn best by watching and being able to ask questions. I've got a .303 Lee Enfield, not sure which model as it's a Santa Fe sporterized model so all the original numbers and tell-tale bits were ground off. It came with a model 4 magazine but it doesn't feed correctly, so it's a single shot right now. It would be awesome to try magazines from other models before I buy one for it. Please let me know if you have one I can try.

I'd love to learn about good places to go for target practice out here. While I'm all for supporting the local ranges, etc. I can't afford to pay per hour range fees as often as I like to practice. I collect all the brass I find in hopes of eventually getting firearms which use them or to trade them for ones I can use. I reload .40 SW, .38 Spc. I also pick up trash, etc. others leave behind as much as I can. I've found a few spots out here but they're uncomfortably close to roads, super windy and more importantly on someone's property that I can't get a hold of to ask for permission.

I'd like to learn more about bushcraft, camping and hunting at some point. I like looking for tools, etc at garage sales and flea markets. I'm trying to learn to weld but so far my wire feed welder and I haven't come to an understanding yet... I work on my own equipment as much as possible and am very interested in machinist skills and wood working. I'm hoping to learn about metal casting at some point. My current incarnation is being a handyman fixing things, etc again and I'm happy to help wherever I can.

Cheers
Congrats on your move.
Seattle is definately not the "town" it used to be.
Gets hot down in Kenney's ville, hope you can cope.
Used to be Hydroplane Heaven, too. Hope you get to catch some boat races (although the Thunderboats lost their thunder a long time ago. Still fun to watch).

Dean

Last Edited:
Another +1 for the Rattlesnake Range (TCSA). I used to travel there in the early 2000's mostly for pistol and hi power matches and it's truly one of the best ranges in the inland northwest in my opinion.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top