JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
History Channel?s North Carolina Mountain Man Fights Gov?t for Control of His Property | Video | TheBlaze.com

"After graduating from Appalachian State University more than two decades ago, Eustace Conway decided to take a crack at Henry Thoreau’s philosophy of getting back to nature – that is, of living “deliberately.”

“I live in a much different way and I’m glad for it,” Conway told Fox 8 WGHP-TV.

He purchased some land outside Boone, N.C., built up his property, and has been using his “nature school” to teach hundreds of people how to live closer to nature ever since.

His lifestyle became so notorious, in fact, that he has been featured on The History Channel’s “Mountain Men“.

But in 2012, citing safety regulations, county officials decided they need to shut down the noted naturalist’s school.

“Basically, I’m living like the American heritage pattern of all of our ancestors and the modern world isn’t. They don’t know how to accept me,” Conway said.

The county issued Conway a cease and desist order, saying his property wasn’t up to code.

“This is supposed to be the land of the free,” he said, “government is supposed to help people [and] protect their individual liberties and freedom. That’s not what’s happening here.”

“My gosh,” he added, “This is the country that I pledge allegiance to?”

The county argues that it is only doing its duty protecting public health and safety, the Fox affiliate notes, and says his “nature school” can continue – but only after it meets the county’s standards.

Problem is, to meet said standards, Conway’s “nature school” would cease to be, well, natural. Also, the county’s demands are a little strange considering that after all this time (26 years) and several inspections, it has suddenly decided his property is a hazard.

Conway believes the county is merely looking to shut him down and he doesn’t think he has much of a chance in this fight.

“I’m not confident I can win [this],” he said. “I’m confident I ought to win it. I’m confident it shouldn’t be happening. But at this point, basically, what the government told me today is, ‘You can’t operate.’”

I would be curious to find out what the County is requiring.

Septic? Chlorinated water? Building improvements to make the walls and ceiling safe? Perhaps the County's stance is legit. Maybe not.....

reminds me of all those people living out in the desert east of LA that have lived there for decades and now the county is trying to run them out for "code violations" like claims that the property is an eye sore for neighbors when there isn't one for a few miles. Conveniently those properties are along one of the proposed routes for future infrastructure. I wonder what purpose the politicians have in mind for Mr. Conway's land...

Private property in the middle of 500 acres, in the middle of nowhere? People who go there know the situation! If government is that anal (can I say that here, Joey?) perhaps they should close Yellowstone, The Grand Canyon, Yosemite, San Francisco, Florida, and any other place that is inherently dangerous!

These petty tyrants have forgotten that the role of government is to protect and expand personal freedom for its citizens. Instead they have turned government into a jobs program for busy bodies to tell us how to live our life. Who elects these people?

I don't need government to tell me where its safe to eat or where its safe to send a kid to school. I am quite capable of making that decision myself. Sometimes I wish that every government office would get swallowed by a sinkhole during the middle of the day. Then we could just backfill the hole and get on with actually being a productive society.

These petty tyrants have forgotten that the role of government is to protect and expand personal freedom for its citizens. Instead they have turned government into a jobs program for busy bodies to tell us how to live our life. Who elects these people?

No one. Most are unelected bureaucrats. Elected officials of the three branches may change every two, four or six years, but the fourth branch of government schemes on ...

Keith

You know if the "messengers" the county sent just kept coming back with severe injuries or..not at all. And I'm assuming they'd be discouraged enough stop harassing him. Especially in the back woods.

Now, IF he succumbed to following the tyrants "rules" but instead had a waver signed by all participants should wave all the code requirements right? Especially if this was a "natural nature" school.

Its sickening to see all the extortion receipts..erm I mean "permits" one has to file for with the county, city and sometimes state in order to do work on their own land.

And they keep on coming, new "permits" to trap on your own property or pulling small trees and in some cases even bushes..etc. Its ludacris.

I am all for him standing his ground and wish him the best of luck. From the episodes I have seen. The man and his land are well thought out and he does no harm to the land. He is very conscientious about how he uses his land, from timber to farming it and hunting on it. He is more aware of it then the gooberment ever will be. I wonder if the vast amount of timber has anything to do with it, maybe coal??????

I'm thinking he should buy a stamp. He sells firewood that his tuition paying(?) "students" have harvested so he can probably afford one - in one show he and his out of control horse about died in traffic about twelve times trying to get down to the courthouse to pay some tax in person.

He is getting a hard lesson that government has never been about protecting liberties and freedoms; just the opposite. The enemy of your freedoms has always been government, and most definitely has NEVER been some brown person 7350 miles away.

Odd that, especially after all the lies of the last 20 years or so, anyone could possibly believe that government has anything to offer a 'free' man.

As soon as "property tax" exists you cannot own land

It is the very worst of any tax that can exist. Period. It takes widows homes from them and steals inheritances. A pox on any who enforce such, may you rot in hell. I would gladly toss you in, myself and dust your filth off my hands

Looks like he may have irritated a neighbor who was a lawyer. Check references 9-11.

Saw him on TV a couple of times. A strange bird but I liked him.

Eustace Conway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

America was founded for strange birds. It's called freedom, as long as we do not harm our neighbors. Who knows which of these "strange men" may be the genius who discovers a magnificent scientific breakthru that advances us greatly?

+1 Britzkrieg

No citizen in the USA actually OWNS land or their home. It is always the property of the state and can be taken away at any time. That is why on your deed you are always listed as a tenant. Slaves are not allowed to own real property and unfortunately that is all we are. Our own bodies themselves are property, but that is a different subject. All of what we believe is our own was long since put up for collateral for the national debt, to our Euro banker owners.

Burt, there are these things called slave uprisings. King George and the powers behind him in 1775 certainly thought of us as slaves. Servants of the crown

We are now called to a redux of this great controversy. Are we worthy to bring it to a right conclusion?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top