JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Deer love corn and apples 20231011_183128.jpg

Well the birds up here are going to LOVE this! Every winter I make up Suet and just put globs of it in the trees for the birds. That looks like a FAR easier way to do this and the stuff will stay. Long ago when I first stared doing this I learned to not do it in my back yard as the birds would knock some of it down and the ground and dogs would chow on it and get the runs. :eek:
That will make an easy to fill feeder that will keep the stuff in the tree for the critters. Thanks for posting that! Some fat happy critters will be thanking you when it gets cold here soon too. :D

We used to take tree branch sections.....
Cut some holes in 'em via a hole saw...add a scrap dowel for a perch...
Screw in a eye hook on the top end...
Fill the holes with peanut butter and sunflower seeds...then hang from trees or buildings....
Easy and cheap to feed birds that way....well , squirrels too.... :D
Andy

Well the birds up here are going to LOVE this! Every winter I make up Suet and just put globs of it in the trees for the birds. That looks like a FAR easier way to do this and the stuff will stay. Long ago when I first stared doing this I learned to not do it in my back yard as the birds would knock some of it down and the ground and dogs would chow on it and get the runs. :eek:
That will make an easy to fill feeder that will keep the stuff in the tree for the critters. Thanks for posting that! Some fat happy critters will be thanking you when it gets cold here soon too. :D
That's how bear problems start......

We had one a couple years ago take the neighbors bbq off his porch
Not a shock at all. The smaller Black's we have in this neck of the woods are cute but, they are dangerous critters. While it would be fun to have some around to watch I am glad I don't have to deal with them. Even the small ones do now and then go after a human and they can kill or badly injure. Many people who live around them underestimate them. Thinking they are "cute" and feed them. Dangerous critter to do that with.

In 2019 I had to remove 16 bears that where being fed by a man in gates or.....he started with a little bait pile by the time osp caught wind of his illegal and dangerous activities you could see his bait pile from Google earth. As far as I know he was never written a citation

In 2019 I had to remove 16 bears that where being fed by a man in gates or.....he started with a little bait pile by the time osp caught wind of his illegal and dangerous activities you could see his bait pile from Google earth. As far as I know he was never written a citation
Morons like this need to have the book thrown at them. This is how so many beautiful critters end up having to be shot. They get too used to being around humans and become a pest/ danger and the animal has to pay. 🤬

Morons like this need to have the book thrown at them. This is how so many beautiful critters end up having to be shot. They get too used to being around humans and become a pest/ danger and the animal has to pay. 🤬
Ya I was pretty upset by the whole situation. 20 years of working with wildlife and that was the saddest situation. Lots of bears out there and if we act responsible very few have to be removed. He should of done.jail time in my opinion but odfw and osp did nothing

I would like to attract more reptiles (could do without seeing rattle snakes) and had the idea of combining a rock pile with a compost pile. Seems both are attractive to reptiles so maybe a two-fer would be even better. I have lots of rocks spread around the property and compostable materials as well. I figured I could stack up a rock pile sloping towards the South/Southeast direction. Then on the back side of the rock pile, stack up the compostables. An added bonus might be a small cavity under the compost pile that could provide a overwintering den for critters.

I would like to attract more reptiles (could do without seeing rattle snakes) and had the idea of combining a rock pile with a compost pile. Seems both are attractive to reptiles so maybe a two-fer would be even better. I have lots of rocks spread around the property and compostable materials as well. I figured I could stack up a rock pile sloping towards the South/Southeast direction. Then on the back side of the rock pile, stack up the compostables. An added bonus might be a small cavity under the compost pile that could provide a overwintering den for critters.
If you're in a canyon in eastern Oregon or Washington you can't get away from the snakes. With flat ground you can manipulate it slightly but natural water and food dictates most of their habits. It could take years to change anything. I'm surprised that it isn't just covered with the little lizards. They are everywhere on my hideaway.

If you're in a canyon in eastern Oregon or Washington you can't get away from the snakes. With flat ground you can manipulate it slightly but natural water and food dictates most of their habits. It could take years to change anything. I'm surprised that it isn't just covered with the little lizards. They are everywhere on my hideaway.
We have the little blue bellied lizards at the property. But I find them in much greater numbers in the rocky areas like the nearby red cinder pit.

As for snakes we get garter snakes on the property and my son found a rubber boa there once. The neighbor killed what may have been a good size gopher snake a year or two ago.

He chopped the head off with a shovel.

Screenshot_20231029_191357_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20231029_191420_Messages.jpg

I am going to try and make a den space under the rock/compost pile. I will let the snakes live in peace unless a rattler comes and tries to stay. They might help eat up some of the mice and pack rats.

I don't feed or encourage the wild life. I don't discourage it either. I leave things as mother nature would have it. I'm very much a critter person and like to see any and all wildlife. The thing is when you start feeding even the tweetie birds they become dependent and quit naturally foraging for their food. They become fat and lazy which makes them easy pray for cats, pretty soon no tweetie birds and a garden full of cat poop. I will say I have planted a Red Flowering Current which is a native species Humingbird attractant that sets it's flowers in late January so an early food source for them and I've thought about planting some Milkweed for the Monarch Butterflys. Hmm I guess by planting native attractants I am encouraging them somewhat.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top