JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bees are one of the most important parts of our ecosystem good sir, an abundance of bees is a good sign... especially bumblebees!

If bees die out we are soon to follow. Amazing little creatures.
Unfortunately the bees that like my place are bald face hornets and yellow jackets. I am sure they help the ecosystem, but I would rather they do it on another property.

1713064203851.png

I have 450 feet of creek frontage, over the years frogs have been pretty thick. Right now there are frogs everywhere. At night the creek gets to singing so loud you cannot sleep. No less than a couple thousand frogs all going at it at once is deafening. I'm finding frogs hanging out everywhere around the house. We have zero mosquitos this year so I'm not complaining.

Swallows are excellent at controlling the local "bee" population. If you set up nesting sites they will come and hunt all manner of buzzing insect out of the skies. It is amazing to watch them hunt. The problem is that good swallow homes are also good European House Sparrow homes, and those guys are bad news. Sure they are cute enough to people, and many people unwittingly foster these little bastards, but they are nasty to the indigenous birds here. They take over nesting sites, kill competition and can turn entire habitats into near bird monocultures. I will not put up nesting boxes for the year unless I can commit to killing all the European Sparrows that enter my domain.

Swallows are excellent at controlling the local "bee" population. If you set up nesting sites they will come and hunt all manner of buzzing insect out of the skies. It is amazing to watch them hunt. The problem is that good swallow homes are also good European House Sparrow homes, and those guys are bad news. Sure they are cute enough to people, and many people unwittingly foster these little bastards, but they are nasty to the indigenous birds here. They take over nesting sites, kill competition and can turn entire habitats into near bird monocultures. I will not put up nesting boxes for the year unless I can commit to killing all the European Sparrows that enter my domain.

We have a bat population that lives in the cabin roof during the late spring and summer months. To bad the bees aren't out at night.

I have found the main attraction for bees at my place is water. If I put out the auto-filling water dish early, I think it encourages the bees to nest nearby. The last few years I have been waiting to put the water dish around July. I figure the bees have already established their nest by then.

One of my main goals for next trip is to add bird attractions. I will check out the Swallow link, thanks.

I did the 1/4 Mile in 11 hours.

1000003005.jpg

Bubba MacGyver forgot his come-a-long so he improvised.

1000003003.jpg

1000003008.jpg

1000003009.jpg

This shot compares the ranchers/forest fence (right of orange marker) which many cows could jump over vs my upgraded section. Only the most athletic cows will be able to clear it now. I ran out of barbed wire so had to put up about 400ft of barbless wire that was pieced together from numerous short sections.

1000003006.jpg

Remind me to never install fencing for a living.

This is my poor man's ATV.

1000003007.jpg

I used it to move many of the rocks for this pile. I managed to hide three tires mounted on wheels under these rocks. The heaviest rock (with glove on it) was probably 200lbs and had to be rolled to it's new resting location.

1000003000.jpg

1000002999.jpg

I did the 1/4 Mile in 11 hours.

View attachment 1867473

Bubba MacGyver forgot his come-a-long so he improvised.

View attachment 1867474

View attachment 1867475

View attachment 1867476

This shot compares the ranchers/forest fence (right of orange marker) which many cows could jump over vs my upgraded section. Only the most athletic cows will be able to clear it now. I ran out of barbed wire so had to put up about 400ft of barbless wire that was pieced together from numerous short sections.

View attachment 1867477

Remind me to never install fencing for a living.
Yep, now pretend you are on a deadline because someone has a delivery of livestock due in tomorrow morning, because that is how it always gets scheduled. . .

Yep, now pretend you are on a deadline because someone has a delivery of livestock due in tomorrow morning, because that is how it always gets scheduled. . .
On my way to property, I passed a crew putting up barbed wire and they were using an ATV that had 5 spools of wire being laid out simultaneously. Pretty cool set up.

Another project added to the list.

View: https://youtu.be/smQtNmHqOYo?feature=shared

Hopefully the ground squirrels aren't dumb enough to climb down in the tube for a drink.
I have a bunch of 1.5 ID pipe at the property and some spare buckets, so I created my own version of this frog tube idea.

1000003010.jpg

Edit: the wood wedge in the pipe is to discourage the ground squirrels from climbing in the pipe and getting stuck.

On my way to property, I passed a crew putting up barbed wire and they were using an ATV that had 5 spools of wire being laid out simultaneously. Pretty cool set up.
Yeah that would have been nice. The guy I did part time work for did lots of ranch-hands things and fencing was only part of it so he did not have a swanky setup. you would run one spool down at a time, try not to tangle anything and then pull it all tight once you laid it all out on the ground. It really sicked because inevitably you needed a tool that you left at the other end of the fence. I swear you could put in ten miles of walking just fetching tools.

Yeah that would have been nice. The guy I did part time work for did lots of ranch-hands things and fencing was only part of it so he did not have a swanky setup. you would run one spool down at a time, try not to tangle anything and then pull it all tight once you laid it all out on the ground. It really sicked because inevitably you needed a tool that you left at the other end of the fence. I swear you could put in ten miles of walking just fetching tools.
I did a lot of walking that day. I had already set most of the post on previous trips so most of that 11 hours was spent hanging 9 different strands of wire. I had to do some vegetation removal first to have a clear path for the wire. I learned on the first strand not to let slack back in the wire. If I had to stop for whatever reason I tied the wire off at the nearest post. I still have tension wire to install on the rear h-braces and then the fencing will be complete until a tree falls on it.

What do you mean, an African or European swallow?

the fencing will be complete until a tree falls on it.
Ain't that always the way. If you do wind up having to fix it I recommend getting some. . . wire clamps I guess? I actually am not sure what they are called, but they grip onto the wire in the middle so you can pull it tight (to close a break, for example). The tighter you pull the harder they grip (and if you pull too tight the wire will likely break right at the grip point). I will see if I can dig up what they are called so I can make a more actionable recommendation.

Ain't that always the way. If you do wind up having to fix it I recommend getting some. . . wire clamps I guess? I actually am not sure what they are called, but they grip onto the wire in the middle so you can pull it tight (to close a break, for example). The tighter you pull the harder they grip (and if you pull too tight the wire will likely break right at the grip point). I will see if I can dig up what they are called so I can make a more actionable recommendation.
I will likely use these if I get a break or lose a lot of the tension in the wire.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top